Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61441 01/15/03 09:22 AM
M
MIBAC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We will be in AC Feb 1st Thru the 8th and want to do the Cave tubing trip one day. Any suggestions for who to use or things to bring. I have not seen any post of people who have gone recently. Thanks for all the help!

O
O
MIBAC,
I use Searious Adventures,for most of my trips.I have found them to be pretty much the best on the island. Just a personal opinion wink Yes, I have gone out with others and it just wasnt the same. frown

Although I have not gone cave tubing yet,that will be in May for sure, I have talked to alot of people that have went with Searious and they said they had a blast.

I have done, AltunHa(twice),Manatee(once) and half day snorkels. :p With Searious.

Jackie

I recently went cave tubing. Sure it was OK but I sure didn't think that the day was worth $140 US/person. Even worse for me a Canadian, the day ended up costing me close to $220 Cdn plus there was an additional park fee of $10 Bze or was it $20Bze that we had not been made aware of. Luckily I had the money with me.

So we got a boat ride, there and back, a van ride to the zoo, which was pretty but I didn't see many animals (it was pouring rain, not the guides fault) and then we went to Jaguar Paw, which is quite beautiful even in the rain. There we had a decent lunch. The weather was contributing to high water in the river and so were talked into the Crystal Cave instead of the other option. Considering the state of the trails caused by the bad weather, I was glad of this. It was a 10 minute or so hike to the initial cavern instead of 45 minutes. The jungle was quite beautiful none the less. Once in the cavern, we plopped onto our inner tubes on our backs, just like when I was a kid. The problem is, I'm no longer a kid and it was necessary to paddle with my hands/arms almost the whole way there and back. (I was pretty sore the next day) Anyway, then we get driven back to the boat and once on the boat for the return trip, we get some refreshments. The trip home for us was quite a brutal experience, again because of bad weather. Again, not the guide's fault. He got us home safely and had to face into the wind and spray the whole way. I gave him a big tip.

In any event, even discounting the weather as a factor, cave tubing doesn't make my list of recommended things to do any more. Perhaps if it cost less . . .

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

F
F
Hi there-I just returned from Belize on Saturday. Our 1st day was spent at Jaguar Paw and we too went to the Crystal Caves. The only one difference is that we only went for a half day tour. That difference may make it or break it. For me, 1/2 day was just enough. We enjoyed the Crystal Caves very much and I would recommend it. You did have to paddle with our own hands while in the tube, but that didn't bother me so much. We were quite cold, though, from getting out of the water and getting in again quite a few times. I thought it was worth it. There was bats, but never bothered you. You also got to see some Mayan sculptures and broken bits of pottery. Some of the formations are quite cool! If you do go cave tubing, shut off your headlamps once in awhile. Pretty cool floating in the water surrounded by caves in pure darkness. Hope this helps and have fun!!!

I recently went cave tubing for the first time on my trip in December. Also,because of the rain we went to the Crystal Cave instead. It was muddy but a doable trail even after I slipped in the mud inside the cave and cut and bruised my leg. The only thing I recommend is wearing shoes that are easy to walk in as well as ones that you don't mind getting wet. I wore "water" shoes that I got at Walmart. I went with Serious and those guys are great. My experience has always been that any additional costs are clearly expressed and we weren't charged any additional fees for park entrances etc.....it was a flat $140. We took the boat to the mainland, stopped on the river for a light breakfast of journey cakes and juice, got in a van, rode tothe Belize zoo, went to Jaguar Paw, had a nice lunch, off to the caves, back to the boat and the island. I think it would have been nice to go the "regular" cave but the alternate was nice also and it was fun and I think the cost was worth it. Yes, it seems like a bit much but I think these trips can definately be what you make of them. I was scared to death to go which is why I did it and it wasn't bad at all. PS..I would recommend taking some sort of first aid kit and/or at least an ace bandage or something like that and some antibiotic cream just in case. When I cut my leg we had of course nothing so one of the guys tore his shirt in order to tie it up to stop the bleeding. Let me please be clear...this was in NO WAY the guides fault, it was just one of those things that happens and of course if it's going to happen it will happen to me.

Here's a quick list of things to take cave tubing:
1) Bathing suit - wear it under your clothes while hiking to the entrance.
2) Sturdy, closed toe shoes - old ones that you don't mind getting dirty
3) Bug spray
4) Change of clothes (even socks, shoes, and underwear)
5) Gallon-size (or larger) zip-lock bags to store wet clothes
6) Camera and film - your guide will have a dry bag to store them while you are floating
7) Sense of adventure and a good attitude

We had a blast cave tubing! Hope you will too.

We went with Seaduced last year.. here is what I had put in my trip report about it. We had a group of more than 10 so got a 10% discount. Also, they don't normally include beer and rum punch so we asked for that specifically (as my group doesn't go too far without a Beliken in hand!)

Hope this helps
Andrea in Atlanta

Monday – We were picked up at 7am from our dock by Elito from SEAduced. We sped across the water past Caye Caulker and other various islands until we reached the mainland. Keep a good hold of your hat, or preferably bring one with a string to keep it on your head!! At first we couldn't see where the boat was heading, it was the somewhat overgrown entrance to the Belize River. They provided breakfast of juices, delicious blueberry muffins and fruit as we cruised slowly up the river. We stopped at a landing where we could all take a quick bathroom break before boarding the bus to Jaguar Paw where we would be cave tubing. Elito pointed out items of interest as we passed through Belize City, and then all the different foliage as we headed into the country. Plus some amusing stories about the Ramada (not the hotel kind, it's a prison) and the Boys camp where they send unruly kids. We turned off the main road and bumped along a back road a little ways, passing small villages and various fruit groves till we reached Jaguar Paw. We had a place to change clothes and store our valuables in a locked room. Then we picked up our tubes for the short hike through the jungle. Tevas worked just fine shoe wise, as you want something with a decent grip that can handle getting wet. A waterproof pouch was a good idea too, I picked up a couple of Coleman ones ahead of time in the camping section of Sports Authority. It worked fine to keep some stuff dry.

Our guides pointed out items of interest along the trail, plus potholes and trees to avoid. We got to stop at a termites nest where we could try a termite if we so dared. I tried the first one, you bite into it and swallow and it tastes like mint.. seriously! A few other brave souls tried them too and also said they tasted minty. Then we headed on and climbed down to the put in point. You could either just place your tube and hop into it or jump off a small cliff into the water and someone would pass you your tube. We floated into the caves. Some of us had bought glow sticks with us for fun, and some little blinky light pins. So when you turned off your headlamps it was cool to see those in the dark. You could focus your headlights around the cave to see all the different formations on the walls and ceiling, it was really neat. The only thing is I got real cold, as did some others, but I am always one to feel the cold a lot. Having a T-shirt or hat on may have helped, or a shortie wetsuit if you really feel the cold. We came out about half way in to sunlight so that helped to warm us up a bit before we went back into the caves. I only saw a few bats and they were just hanging out on the ceiling. I didn't notice any bugs or anything and the cave roofs were high enough that it was no bother anyway, so if you are like me and don't like creepy crawlies, you really have nothing to worry about there. It was fun when you hit some small underground rapids, you just essentially have to raise your butt up, or assume the luge position as we were calling it.

Once the tubing part finished, we all got out the water and got dried off and warmed up. Definitely bring a towel with you and either a change of clothes or at least a dry shirt and something that dries real quick on the bottom. I reapplied bug spray, not that they were even a problem. I am just cautious as I am always the one covered in skeeter bites, but only had two the entire trip and barely saw any mosquitos! It was funny since our group had all packed a TON of bug repellent, mosquito coils and stuff for the week after reading the boards. Maybe April is just a good time bug-wise.

Lunch was right at the Jaguar Paw resort, they have a cute little dining room and bar area. The food was really good, grilled chicken and rice and beans. They serve a potent hot sauce on the side as well which you can add to your food for a little more kick if you want. After we all inhaled our food we walked around the grounds then boarded the bus for the trip to the zoo. At this time we all started hitting the Belikens and Rum Punch (you have choices of mild, strong or see you tomorrow!!). Elito was fun picking on folks and entertaining us all with more stories. We were all pretty happy by the time we reached the zoo! The zoo itself was really cool, Elito gave us a tour and information about all the animals. It wasn't like a typical US zoo at all, there were only small fences so you could see all the animals really well and up close. From various monkeys practically over head to beautiful birds, the peeing Tapir (don't get too close) and of course the big cats. All animals native to Belize which were either injured, pets or from other zoos at some time, not captured from the wild. Then it was back on the bus and more rum and beer, they even stopped to get more Beliken on the way through the city. We had a fun boat ride back, everyone was in great spirits as the drinks were flowing more and we were all chomping down on cans of Pringles they provided. We got dropped back off at our dock and tipped Elito and his assistant (who was real cool but I hate to say I forgot his name!!) for a great job! We had an absolutely GREAT time so I highly recommend booking cave tubing with SEADuced.

Andrea in Atlanta
M
MIBAC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the help, now we will have to decide between that and the manatee tour. I think I will start a new thread for feedback on that. I hate to waste a whole day away from the island for anything, I am there to relax and have all day hapy hours!

O
O
I just love the Manatee Tour. Searious Adventures picked up at our hotel and went to look for Manatees, did not see any the first time but saw two dolphins. Then we went to Geoffs Caye, a small island where you could swim off the beach and we did some snorkeling there, beautiful. The we had our lunch which was great, Willie makes the best brownies, I ever had.Then we went to the Aquarium to snorkel with the sharks and sting rays, the water is not as deep and alot clearer than shark-ray alley.Then we went to look for the Manatees again and saw one.It is my favorite tour on the island. Willie is the best and most informative tour guide I have ever went out on a trip with.
Jackie

Why decide, Do Both smile ,,,The manatee trip is great also. I too, took it with Searious and it was great. Unfortunately you can't swim with the Manatees since they are endangered but the snorkeling at Goff's Caye is cool and I agree that the Aquarium is better than shark-ray alley.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.