Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61600 - 01/17/03 09:48 PM Family Vacation
CasaBahama Offline
I know that latly there has been a lot of talk about the beaches in AC, but I am not sure what the issue is. Is the issue that thre is a lot of sea grass, coral, etc. We lived in Guam for two years, and we had to wear booties, is this the case in AC? Please expalin th ebach issue; can the kids go in the water is our biggest question?We are coming for 8 days in mid April. We have a 6, 3 and 7 month old. Are we crazy for thinking that this will be a fun time? We are an adventerous family. We love the water and like to walk/trek. We are looking for a laid back vacation, and enjoying each other, the local land and people. Anyone who has traveled with kids to AC,please respond. Can you please give some suggestions on accomdations and resturants for families; something with a pool when the baby is napping. Thanks again for everyones wealth of information, we are really looking froawrd to our trip. It sounds like a magical place.

#61601 - 01/17/03 10:06 PM Re: Family Vacation
d-jon Offline
my recommendation would be Auqa Marina Suites, Blue Tang Inn,Victoria House or Banyan Bay. both have swimming pool.

The beaches are great and walking without shoes is no problem.

As you will have kids along I would also suggest havign a golf cart for easy access into town. This is worth every penny with kids.
Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at djones@btl.net

#61602 - 01/18/03 01:16 PM Re: Family Vacation
TravelinMan Offline
The beaches in San Pedro are fine. They are not like Cancun. Most people swim off the docks or walk over to resorts that have beaches that are a little easier to access. As for accommodations you may look into Tradewinds Paradise villas. We have 2 bedroom units on the water with large enclosed grounds and a large pool. We also have a small artificial reef at the end of our dock. For more info go to www.tradewindsparadisevillas.com or go to lodging on this web site. There are plenty of places on the island that you can hike to and lots to explore. Good Luck.

#61603 - 01/18/03 05:20 PM Re: Family Vacation
seashell Offline
All good recommendations. However, as beautiful as AquaMarina Suites are, I don't recommend them because the water heaters are too small. Only one person can have a decent shower before the water goes cold. Two people can have a quickie shower but the second person will still have the water go cold on them at the end.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#61604 - 01/18/03 08:08 PM Re: Family Vacation
Sandy C Offline
Xanadu is great for families and has a pool. Beaches are fine, but wading into the water is not like US east coast beaches. The sand in the water is soft and a little yucky. Most people swim off piers. Never took little ones to the island, so can't be specific there... Best wishes.

#61605 - 01/19/03 07:53 AM Re: Family Vacation
sweetjane Offline
there isnt really much coral (in my limited expereince), but pretty grassy.

i like a pool (bar) too, and stayed at the south end of town at caribe island. pretty private.

the issue is that it is only like knee depp put pretty far to where you are suddenly deep. many sand bars, little outboards get occ stuck.

i just laid on my belly with my mask & snorkel and watched the little hermit crabs (MILLIONS of them) doing their thing.

#61606 - 01/20/03 01:29 AM Re: Family Vacation
blu Offline
Depending on how adventurous you really are, AC is an excellent time for kids. We were there last June with a 7, 5, and two 2 year olds. Xanadu has an excellent pool for kids and the accomodations were very nice, spacious for kids, and a convenient walk to town, markets, and restaurants of all varieties. Kayaks and bikes were free. All of us made an easy kayak paddle to the reef and with a collapsable tow behind cart that we brought with us for the twins, we biked nearly daily all over the island including north of the cut. True, the beaches are not typical east coast beaches but are rather indicative of beaches buffered by a reef or like a typical lake beach. However, if you enjoy the water, snorkling trips are definitely doable-we even took the twins in life jackets with a pull behind raft out to shark ray alley etc. Additionally, we all went cave tubing, to the zoo and to Altun hun, all easy trips for kids (if they are the adventurous type). Needless to say, although not a prototypical beach vacation, everyone had a blast and are planning on returning to hit the things we missed. Also, the locals love kids and welcome them everywhere.

#61607 - 01/20/03 05:07 PM Re: Family Vacation
Scott Offline
Hi CasaB... We have travelled to AC twice, tho with teens, and have stayed at The Palms both times. It's a great place, only a very short walk (as in a couple of minutes) to everything in town (so you won't need a cart every day). They have great condo/apartments. The third (top) floor has very nice 2bedroom apartments with the second bedroom upstairs for added privacy for the parents. The balcony from those units is great with a fantastic view. When we were there the staff did a great job of taking care of all our needs, like arranging mainland trips and fishing. They have a lovely pool, tho not large. They have a good website in the accomodations section of this site...

For some reason I don't see much said about The Palms on this message board anymore and was wondering if folks have had unfavorable experiences there... If not, then I highly recommend The Palms... It's next door to Ramons, which IMHO, has the nicest beach area of anyplace close to town.

The mainland trips, while tons of fun, might be a little much for the very young. We did the cave tubing and Lamanai ruins day trips and there is alot of travel time and walking, especially at Lamanai. If the little ones need naps it would be hard. If you dive, we have used Amigos del Mar and they are great. The day trips to Lighthouse and Turneffe are ALOT of fun!

#61608 - 01/21/03 11:08 AM Re: Family Vacation
sweetjane Offline
i had also heard good things about the palms, and almost booked there. we had our 5 & 7 yr olds with us.

but we chose caribe island instead, and i would stay there every time from now on. a very enjoyable experience. the kids LOVED the pol, the snack bar, and the cable tv. the golf cart rides were the best, and they saw the croc!

#61609 - 01/22/03 04:06 PM Re: Family Vacation
TravelinMan Offline
This is a note about AquaMarina Suites:

The Management has informed me that new Hot water heaters have been installed for at least a month or so. The new water heaters allow 4 or 5 times more Hot water for each and every unit. It looks like someone is paying attention.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 50 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.