Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61629 01/18/03 11:31 PM
OP Offline
What is the best way to convert money in San Pedro?

smile You have to give it to Marty, this board is one fantastic place to get info on A.C. smile

By using the search engine, I was able to find lots of information, as this subject seems to come up about this time over the last two years. The only thing I can't seem to find out is whether you can get cash from the local banks with an old fashioned check? (cheque, here in the great white north). Do you remember long ago, before A. T. M.s, and Internet banking when we would take a piece of paper into a bank and they would give us cash? I was wondering if a person can still do that in San Pedro?
When we go to Mexico, even the little towns seem to have A. T. M.s that will spit out Pesos. We don't like to carry a lot of cash and I hate travelers cheques so maybe someone on here can tell us if they have tried this approach.
Any help would be appreciated; Thanks;
Dan'l O.

#61630 01/19/03 12:51 AM
S
S
Do you like giving at least 5% of your money to banks and governments, for NOTHING???? If not, you will need to get over your aversion to travelers checks or cash, otherwise you will pay the "GOB borrow and spend tax" on your money. Buy a money belt that goes under your clothes. If you do not trust your environment (and theft from rooms by employees of hotels is very very very rare on AC, in 11 years, we have NEVER had a guest report a theft from their room), ask to put it in the hotel safe if there is one.
Or bring some of your cash in travelers checks in SMALL denominations ($20) but be sure to pack them in plastic as they are void if wet in Belize.
I doubt if any Belizean bank would allow you to cash a personal check even if you pay the outrageous fees and if you get money against your credit card you will pay ever more.
Bad idea. Bring cash and travelers checks.
Do not "convert" money it is not necessary. Dollars are accepted (happily) everywhere. You can also use a credit card most places (except the least expensive restaurants) but you may be hit with a surcharge in some places.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#61631 01/19/03 01:52 AM
S
S
Personal checks hard to cash unless you have someone local to vouch for you. Take travelers checks and/or cash to one of the money exchanges on front street. You will get 2.05BZ dollar or so for each US dollar rather than the 2.00BZ dollar per US dollar with stores, restaurants etc.

#61632 01/19/03 12:24 PM
If you are on the mainland, the Barclays bank branches in Belize City, Belmopan and Dangriga do accept foreign ATM cards (just heard from a fellow who used them successfully at all three locations in the last few days). Other banks usually have ATM machines but don't accept cards issued outside Belize.

Nearly all bank offices will give you an advance on your credit card for a small (usually US$5 or less) fee, plus whatever you have to pay your bank card issuer.

A lot of places that accept credit cards will also accept debit cards (I'm told -- I don't do this myself outside of the U.S.).

It's going to be difficult to get a bank to accept a personal check -- there's effectively no recourse for collection if the check isn't honored. (Some hotels do accept personal checks, especially if sent in advance of stay.)

Nearly everybody accepts credit cards and traveller's cheques.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#61633 01/19/03 02:25 PM
T
T
Nearly everyone accepts credit cards,except maybe the small merchants, or the odd restaurant. I would recommend that. You should bring some cash or travellers checks, for stuff like cabs, tips, whatever. I HAVE heard of robberies from hotel rooms, but the folks whom it happened to were not real careful (left their door unlocked during the night).

#61634 01/19/03 02:44 PM
OP Offline
Ok, Ok we get the message eek
It's been ten years since I was in San Pedro but it looks like
things havn't changed that much. You'll see our pale & frozen faces
in about a month. mad
Can you still rent scooters at a reasonable cost? That was about
the only way to get around in those days.
Thanks for all the help. :rolleyes:
Dan'l O.

#61635 01/19/03 08:20 PM
Danl O -

I have only seen rare scooters on the island and a few more ATV's lately. The method of choice these days is a golf cart or bicycle.

I prefer golf cart because it's not very easy to carry grocery items from town on a bike without a basket. Good exercise (to work off all the Belikin), but not very practical if you plan on purchasing your own food-stuffs.

Have a blast!

- - -
"Everywhere I turn all the beauty just keeps shaking me." Amy Ray, World Falls
#61636 01/19/03 10:45 PM
B
B
So if I plan to be in Belize for and extended period of time and can't bring all the fund I will require with me, what is the best way to get cash? ATM, money wire?

I assume that banks will only give you $BZ right? Can someone make this simple for me, how much will it cost for every $100 BZ? $52.50US?

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.