Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61656 - 01/19/03 11:04 AM How far is...
Vacation Bound Offline
We are going to AC in April and can't wait!!! We are staying at Captain Morgans Resort. How far is that from town? It sounds like it's out a ways which is ok. Anyone have any stories (good or bad) about Captain Morgans?

#61657 - 01/19/03 12:02 PM Re: How far is...
Johnboy Offline
It's a long ways from town... Look at the maps on the menu and it will
give you a better idea....Water taxi or golf cart is your best way unless you are accustom to walking long distances...You also have to use the ferry which closes about 8pm ,I think.

#61658 - 01/19/03 05:47 PM Re: How far is...
Short Offline
Depends on what you consider long:
It's about 3 miles north of town; less than 5 minutes by Island ferry, and they run every hour. By golf cart it will probably be 10 minutes.
Live and let live

#61659 - 01/19/03 05:50 PM Re: How far is...
Short Offline
Island Ferry's last run is 10pm, and in the weekend and when it's busy they have a midnight run. After that you can take a private or Island Ferry water taxi round the clock.
Live and let live

#61660 - 01/19/03 10:43 PM Re: How far is...
Vacation Bound Offline
Thanks! How much is this water taxi? How about the water ferry? Are they the dame thing? Is there anything around the Captain Morgan resort? Resturants etc? Lots of beach I guess...which sounds nice to us.

#61661 - 02/24/03 12:04 AM Re: How far is...
JanetBoston Offline
I stayed at Captain Morgans in March 2000. I don't know if they still do it, but then they had a crew cleaning the beach all day every day. I've walked north to Mata Chica and south to the cut, and Capt Morgans had the prettiest beach by far.

I'm not sure of this so if anyone knows differently please speak up: I think the water taxi is what travels between the hotel docks and San Pedro, and the ferry is what shuttles walkers and golf carts across the cut.

Near Captain Morgans I'd recommend Capricorn for lunch and dinner. If you go at night, bring a flashlight for the walk back along the beach. Instead of taking the water taxi into San Pedro, you could take it north to the restaurants at Journey's End and Mata Chica. You could walk along the beach to them during the day. There's also a bar/restaurant on the beach path heading south toward the cut, maybe a 20-25 minute walk. When I was there in 2000 their dock was destroyed so the water taxi didn't stop there. Hopefully it's been replaced.

#61662 - 02/24/03 11:20 PM Re: How far is...
Vacation Bound Offline
Thanks Janet. Sounds like you had a nice time. Any other sites to see or places you might suggest going on the island? How was Captain Morgans as a whole? Nice people? Nice units? We're staying in one of the four room huts on the 2nd floor. They look nice on the website. My wife and I are looking for any info before we head there in April. Thanks again!

#61663 - 02/26/03 06:52 PM Re: How far is...
JanetBoston Offline
I loved my experience at Captain Morgans. Everyone at the resort was wonderful, including the other guests. We did run into some problems with the woman in charge of booking tours though. I doubt you'll have the same problem, but if so there are other ways to book. Their restaurant is new so I can't comment on that.

I stayed in one of the single cabanas. The room was big and clean. No complaints. The two-story units were brand new when I was there. I read in some other posts (either here or Belizeforum.com) that the management pushes the timeshares and that timeshare owners get better treatment. That wasn't the case in my experience though. I guess the management can be inconsistent, but if you approach people with a positive attitude hopefully you'll receive an appropriate response.

The only tour we took was the Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley snorkeling trip which was fantastic. The rest of the time we just wandered around the north end of the island exploring other resorts and restaurants. We didn't book any mainland tours from AC because we had already spent 3 days in the Cayo district, but those tours are available from Captain Morgans too.

I've been all over the Caribbean and Belize is by far my favorite. It's not like anywhere else, so keep an open mind and try not to compare it. You'll be almost guaranteed a good time!

#61664 - 02/26/03 08:36 PM Re: How far is...
Vacation Bound Offline
Thanks so much again Janet!! My wife and I are so excited to go and relax and AC sounds like just the place. We did book through our timeshare so if that means better treatment...that's ok! We leave in a month and can't wait. Your posts have been very helpfull...thanks again:)

#61665 - 02/26/03 08:57 PM Re: How far is...
SimonB Offline
Island Ferry makes scheduled runs and Water Taxi is anytime (plenty of water taxi's around but I'd recommend Armando at 610-1448).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.