Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#62293 - 01/29/03 09:03 PM Cruise ships
SusanK Offline
We already planned our Lamanai trip around the schedule for the cruise ships. Now I read (in another thread) that they also impact snorkeling. Is it accurate that the ships are in port Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday? Is it safest to plan to avoid the most popular activities on those days? Am I worrying unnecessarily about the cruise ship tourists? If not, any suggestions for avoiding the problem?

#62294 - 01/29/03 10:55 PM Re: Cruise ships
TravelinMan Offline
Well don't worry too much. For the snorkeling just go in the afternoons. Most of the Cruise ship people have to be back on board by 3:30 and the afternoon snorkel goes out at 2:00 No trouble there. Also go to Mexico rocks lots of fun and usually no crowds. For Lamania if you can't avoid the days then just do it by air. It takes only half a day you still get the cool river ride and you are the first to arrive at the site. That means you get to see evreything without anyone else around. It is nice to be able to take a picture of the Temple without anyone on it. If going by boat try Tanisha Searious or Seaduced my favorite operators.

Have Fun

#62295 - 01/30/03 07:02 AM Re: Cruise ships
Short Offline
Always best to avoid the cruise ship raids. They are affecting everything here; not only Shark Ray Alley, but also the Manatees, and don't go cave tubing when they are there. TravelinMan gave some good advice!

#62296 - 01/31/03 01:31 AM Re: Cruise ships
BrianH Offline
Last summer I unknowingly (and unfortunately) picked cruise ship days for a cave tubing trip and an Altun Ha trip. The parking lots were filled with buses, stirring up dust and filling the air with diesel fumes. Then there were the crowds. This really detracted from the experience. Next time I will try to avoid the cruise ship days.

#62297 - 01/31/03 07:59 AM Re: Cruise ships
Marty Offline
when you get to the island, talk to the guides. they can tell you the best days to go to avoid the cruise ship situation.

#62298 - 01/31/03 10:06 PM Re: Cruise ships
GAY AND DAVID Offline
does anyone remember the good old days in cozumel when we would plan around the cruise ship DAY??? now there are several ships everyday.
is that what the future holds in store for belize?? god i hope not. i know all of you people supporting this board are saying
$$$ ching ching $$$ YES.
but personally i hope it doesn't happen.
gay

#62299 - 01/31/03 10:57 PM Re: Cruise ships
Les Spicy Offline
We were in Cozumel over the Xmas to New Years Week. Actually flew in on the 25th.

Taxi driver said 12 cruise ships in that day!

I've read that Cozumel is expecting 1.9 MILLION Cruise visiters this year. A new building/plaza area was built right by the pier. Its got all the chain resturants any Good American venturing into foreign lands needs to feel comfortable... TGI Fridays, etc etc.

The old main square was empty at night. We drove by on the way to our dive shop during the day and its jam packed with cruissters.

If it wasn't for the currents, I suspect the reefs would be feeling the pain of all that trash and waste that the ships flush out of thier systems. frown

Sam Levenson

#62300 - 02/01/03 12:00 AM Re: Cruise ships
GAY AND DAVID Offline
remember when chakanaub was just a dead end road in the middle of no where??? frown
remember when there was no kentucky fried chicken??? frown
i will be there in march for a wedding (omg spring breakers vommiting everywhere) so i bet i will see even more changes. it has been 3 years i think since i have been there.
better buy some cruise clothes so i fit in laugh
gay

#62301 - 02/01/03 03:09 AM Re: Cruise ships
toad Offline
cruise ships suck

#62302 - 02/01/03 03:43 AM Re: Cruise ships
Short Offline
I don't hink there are many people who go $$$ ching ching $$$ YES, Gay because the cruise ship tourguides make sure their pigeons spent it where they want them to; there are really very little people here who profit from them.

The only thing I know is that they trample nature here (San Pedro tourguides say there are less and less Manatees since the cruise ships have been coming), leave their trash everywhere (at Jaguar Paw they have a special clean-up team for the river banks after cruise ship day) and the Belize nature is very fragile; not suitable for mass tourism. You should see'em on Geoff's caye, sometimes with 120 or more.

I think the majority of local businesses prefer to see them leave rather than come.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (IGAmel, JaHo, ragman, JED), 40 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.