Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
What days do I have to worry about wearing old clothes for the paintings and such?

And what days can I look forward to parades and festivities during the upcoming Carnival?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

There last year at Carnaval. Got in Sun afternoon and missed the big parade, but watched on video and it was great, oh the costumes. Of course I LOVE a parade! I remember painting most nites but no bother if you don't want, mostly the kids out along the beach front. Two of us did go out to venture the last nite (Tues) and it was a blast! LOTS of painting! Went to Cholo's early to see the men practicing their routine all dressed up smile Then walked along the beach to the park where the little ones were so precious. We took some treats w/us and passed them out while sitting there getting painted. I've got a great hand-crafted souvenir of shorts, shirt & shoes. I remember the crowd snaking all through town, everyone painted (though we missed this I would follow along if there again at this time). Never got painted if we didn't want, we were always asked if it was ok. It was such fun and we felt part of the town. I think there may be things happening the week b4?? There must be a schedule of events to pick up somewhere...
HAVE FUN! p.s. the paint does comes out, at least your hair and skin smile

OP Offline
I'm mostly concerned about my clothing. I just wanted to know when to wear old clothes and what were the chances that I'd get painted.

I suspect that chances are high because I'm always out and about and generally considered to have a good sense of humor and fun. And this is true until you start mucking up my clothes. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
P
what is carnaval? when is it? thanks!

seashell: I think the day to really watch would be Fat Tues, last day to let loose. Prior to that we only saw kids w/paint and they kept to themselves. Only old clothes then for sure. But as I said, we were always asked and everyone we met was very respectful. We saw lots of folks walking the beach and not being bothered by painters unless they chose to. The camparaso (sp?) groups are such fun so be sure to get out and see them!
patiaryl: Carnaval is a week or so long celebration that occurs just prior to Ash Wednes. Kind of a mini (very mini) Mardi Gras type of letting loose prior to Lent. This year it will be the first part of April.

Ash Wednesday is March 5th this year, one day before we arrive frown

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
When you talk about getting painted, Does that mean actual paint or as in painting the town red? Does anybody know how painting the town red came about?

I guess I mean how the saying came about or what it means?

In this case, she means actually getting paint splattered on.

In answer to your trivia query: The "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris states: "paint the town red. This colorful term for a wild spree, especially one involving much drinking, probably originated on the frontier. In the nineteenth century the section of town where brothels and saloons were located was known as the 'red light district.' So a group of lusty cowhands out for a night 'on the town' might very well take it into their heads to make the whole town red."

or how about this:

Painting The Town Red, Acrylic on canvas, 4' x 5'

http://www.les-art.com/pages/Painting-the-town-red_jpg.htm

or this:

"Painting the Town Red" means having a good time today, but in 1837 it meant precisely what it says. At that time, Melton Mowbray was the metropolis of fox hunting and the eccentric Marquis of Waterford and friends decided after a day's hunting to 'redecorate' the town.
(acknowledgements Geoff Simpson)

Several buildings, the toll gate and the unfortunate toll keeper were all painted bright red! So, when anyone refers to 'Painting the Town Red' it reflects boisterous times in Melton Mowbray.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.