Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62723 02/09/03 12:35 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Just a quick question... I searched the archives here for "Mayan Princess", and there were 77 messages that came up. They all seemed very positive, but the last post was 10/17/01. I was wondering why this property has not been mentioned since. Is this still a nice place to stay? We are definitely looking for a "condo" style place with a a/c, kitchen, in town, nice view, etc. This place seemed to fit the bill. We will be diving every day, so amenities like a pool are not that important. Anyway... just curious... Thanks smile

#62724 02/09/03 04:09 AM
There is no reason for you to worry. Based on what you have said, the Mayan Princess is exactly the place that you want to stay, especially if you will be diving with Amigos del Mar. Amigos dock is practically right in front. This is a great place with very nice rooms, fabulous private balconies overlooking the water and a very nice staff that has been in place for many years. And if you've read all of the posts, you've even learned which rooms to try to get and which rooms to try and avoid.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#62725 02/09/03 04:59 AM
I agree with Seashell; nice place to be especially for what you want. I stayed there myself a few times. Now I pass there almost weekly. Amigo's will be the diveshop to use when you're there; one of the best of the island!!
No worries!

Live and let live
#62726 02/09/03 12:06 PM
Actually what happened with your search was that you didn't go to the second page ("More Matches") of the results. There you would have found about two dozen messages about Mayan Princess in 2002 and 2003.

I agree: It's a very good choice if you want a one-bedroom suite in town, on the water. No pool, but the accommodations are very comfortable, the management is excellent and the sea views are terrific. And it's a good value.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#62727 02/10/03 12:29 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Lan... I now see the error of my ways. There was oodles of information available.

Seashell...I did find some recent information re: the rooms to stay in, however it was a bit contradictory. Maybe you can help clarify it for me. I saw one recommendation to stay on the 2nd or 3rd floors from the middle to the north side, yet another recommendation said to stay on the 2nd floor, all the way to the south? I did not see any rooms to avoid. I was just curious about how the rooms are different? It is the view, amenities, or noise?

Also, to be honest, I have never requested a certain room before. Do you do this via email before you arrive, or wait and do it at the front desk after you arrive? I know, silly question, but I don't want to offend anyone.

Short et al... I will definitely be diving with Amigos Del Mar. Luckily, that was one easy decision to make.

We are going to be coming off a live-aboard dive boat before we arrive in AC. Since we will have been diving at the outer atolls, we will most likely limit ourselves to local diving. Do you know if we need to make reservations with Amigos before we arrive for local diving, or can we do it after we arrive? Thank you for the input all!

#62728 02/10/03 02:36 AM
Ask for your choice of rooms when you are making the reservation. Many people request specific rooms and the Mayan will try to accommodate you within their ability to do so. You have a better chance of them having the room selection that you would prefer available, if you ask and confirm at the time of reserving vs taking pot luck when you arrive.

The only reason that I recommend rooms on the 3rd floor vs the 2nd floor is because the ice machine is in the middle of the 2nd floor hall. I'm a light sleeper and so when it went off every half hour, it woke me up. The units are set up so that when you first come in the door from the hall, your sleeping area and bathroom are by the door and after you pass the bed, you come to the kitchenette area that opens into the sittingroom that opens onto those fabulous patio/balconies. The pictures of the rooms on the website are a pretty accurate portrayal. The stills are taken of what looks to be the 2nd floor southend unit but the 360 pic is of one of the non-end unit rooms. (Also when viewing the 360, you will note that the unit entrance doors are not solid wood. They have a window in them that is the slatted kind of glass, so that they can be rolled open to let the breeze blow through. This means that for me, they aren't much good at blocking out loud sounds from the ice machine)

The rooms on the main floor are just as nice as any of the other floors (I've stayed on all 3 floors, various rooms) but the view isn't as good because obviously the first floor isn't as high as the other two floors and there is a sense of less privacy due to being closer to the beach traffic.

Some people don't like to stay on the southside of the building because it is too close to the music from Fido's. Others don't like to stay on the southside because the walkway on the southside is used by people departing Fido's later in the evening.

Myself, though I've been in a variety of the rooms on all 3 floors, just by chance they were all either center units or they were located more towards the northern half of the building.

Regardless, of which room you end up in, I think you will be very happy with the Mayan.

As for diving, you should not have to make reservations with Amigos before you arrive, however, you may get a much better deal on your diving and acco if you go with a acco/dive package. Do check in with Amigos though and see how busy they are. If they are quite busy, you will want to book some boats. If they aren't that busy, it's nice to let them know that you will be diving, then they know to expect you. I don't necessarily recommend doing the acco/dive package deal, since you are already coming off of a liveaboard. While there is some pretty nice diving close-in, most of it does not compare to the Atoll diving you will have just done. Therefore, you may find that you won't be diving as much as you'd believed you would. Perhaps you will be taking other tours instead.

#62729 02/10/03 09:38 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you so much for that informative post. Now it all makes sense. We are really looking forward to this trip and every bit of information not only helps, but gets us more excited. It sure is fun researching these trips. Thanks again for your responses.

#62730 02/11/03 01:16 AM
Thanks Albatross. Most kind of you to say so.

Note to Colorado Palms: Now that's what it's all about!

#62731 02/11/03 01:38 AM
u go girl !

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.