Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62784 - 02/11/03 01:37 AM Questions About AC
akafiend Offline
Hi All! I just found this board. Hope you guys can give some assistance. I'm thinking about going to AC sometime soon. I need a rest, good snorkeling, stuff to do if I feel like doing anything and lots of relaxation. Used to go to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel, but too touristy for me now. Need something more laid back. Moved further south to Akumal Tulum area, but too much building going on there too now. Entirely too many timeshare people along the entire coast for me. I hate all inclusive resorts where they water down the "local flavor" so that you don't even realize you are in a foreign country. Hate big company resorts where the employees that interact with the tourists aren't even from the country you are in. Don't need my drinks delivered to me on the beach. I LIKE to meet the locals and talk to them and learn about their lives and make some new friends. I want to go somewhere where I do not have to "dress" for dinner - not even a sundress. I just want to take a few bathing suits, a few pairs of beat up old denim shorts, a few t-shirts and a pair of flip-flops. I don't want to bring makeup, hair dryer or any other cosmetic item. Is AC the right place for me? Is it safe for a mid-30's female to travel alone (thank my lucky stars, a whole entire week BY MYSELF!!! Woohoo!!!)? Please be honest. This is a much needed break for me. I need a rest and I want to feel completely safe. Any recommendations on a clean, decent, safe hotel within walking distance of town will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch in advance.

#62785 - 02/11/03 01:47 AM Re: Questions About AC
Gela Offline
Boy have you chosen the right place! AC is perfect for what you're looking by the sounds of it. Solo travelers are safe and very welcome. I've traveled by myself to AC 3 times - going in May for my fourth. Use this website to research hotels, etc. When you get some possibilities narrowed down, then search the message board for posts on those hotels.
Personally, I like staying at Coconuts but they have recently built a pool and restaurant so their room rates shot up quite a bit. Perhaps Ruby's might be the ticket for you - inexpensive and right on the south edge of "town".
Good luck. By the time you go you will have friends to meet. You better Belize it!

#62786 - 02/11/03 03:53 AM Re: Questions About AC
buzzbean Offline
I can highly recommend Ambergris Caye/San Pedro for a solo vacation where relaxation is the priority. I was there for almost 2 weeks in November by myself. I met a bunch of new people and had me a blast. laugh I stayed a Banana Beach. There was a lot of construction going on around there, but as I didn't spend much time at the hotel, it didn't bother me much. The hotel is very nice except for the neighboring construction noise.

I know exactly what you mean about hardly knowing you're in a different country. AC allows you to know you're in another country, but still be able to converse in English and get what you need. When I went, I wanted to not see a single McDonalds, KFC, Super 8 or any other American businesses. I succeeded. The only sign from an American company I saw (other than in the store) was a Texaco sign at the boat filling station.

Be sure to wander around San Pedro and visit with the locals.

Nick at Cafe Ole is great. He serves basic but quite good food and is very friendly. I don't believe he's from SP originally, but you can tell he's been there a while.

If you're a diver, I can recommend Ambergris Divers. My last full day there, I was casually walking back to the hotel from town and a couple of the guys from Ambergris Divers happened to drive by in their golf cart. They called out my name and offered me a ride. Just like old friends.

I never dressed with more than shorts, t-shirt and sandals for any dinner while there.

I don't know about being a single woman alone, but I'm a mid-30's single guy and had absolutely no problems being alone. In fact, you will probably meet a group of people to hang out with pretty quick anyway.

The one "problem" with Ambergris Caye is that the beach is not what I call a "pristine white-sand paradise" beach. Sea-grass does build up on the beach although most hotels clean it up daily. You have to go quite a ways out to get into water over your head. Both of these are a result of the barrier reef keeping waves at the beach quite small.

I would not hesitate in going back again and I'm sure I will someday. Relax and enjoy! You'll love it!

#62787 - 02/11/03 07:13 AM Re: Questions About AC
seashell Offline
Mayan Princess is a clean, decent hotel and one of the safest around. It is right in town and on the edge of the activity. If it's in your price range, that's the ticket.

#62788 - 02/13/03 01:43 AM Re: Questions About AC
Ms. Coconuts Offline
I would not worry about traveling alone to AC. I'm a thirty something female and spent a week alone there. I never felt uncomfortable in the day or at night. But do stay in town so you don't have far to walk. I stayed at Ruby's and would recommend them.

#62789 - 02/13/03 01:54 AM Re: Questions About AC
Bobber Offline
Katherine, point her to your trip report. If that doesn't convince her she's on the right track, nothing will wink

#62790 - 02/13/03 02:26 AM Re: Questions About AC
Sandy C Offline
The island sounds like what you are looking for - it's a place we would feel comfortable with for our daughter to visit solo. Recommend you check out Caribbean Villas Hotel. It is only 10 rooms/suites on 3 acres of land with wooded bird sanctuary that has lots of wildlife and flowers. The long-time staff are all local, love their guests and treat everyone as friends. 12-15 minute walk to town. Nightime security. Free bikes, hot tubs, hammocks, long pier with swimming & snorkeling area. They accept no commissions from guides or tour companies, so you get objective excursion recommendations and in some cases cheaper prices. Hotel accommodations are priced for most budgets. Wherever you stay, we think you will have a great time. Enjoy!

#62791 - 02/13/03 03:27 PM Re: Questions About AC
Bobber Offline
oops, Katherine is not in apparently.

http://AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/town/article42.html

#62792 - 02/13/03 07:26 PM Re: Questions About AC
scubatsa Offline
Everyones right-----It's the place you're looking for.
Been there 3 times and going back the first week of June. My personal place to stay is the Sunbreeze Hotel (right across the street from the airport). It has a very friendly and courteous staff and is close to all action. Favorite dive shop is Ambergris Divers and they'll pick you up at the dock by Sunbreeze. Check ot both websites and discount coupons on both.------ENJOY.

#62793 - 02/13/03 07:44 PM Re: Questions About AC
JohnnyK Offline
Dear AKAFriend,

Ambergris Caye is the best place in the world! I'm returning down there from March 13-20. All casual, so you don't need to worry about business or formal attire. Just bring sandles and you'll do just fine. smile

The last time a couple of us went down, we met a few single people, both single men and women. Like you'll hear from this board, you quickly meet new friends and the town is quite safe. smile

Regarding accomodations, the first time I went down there I just booked at one place for the night. Then, I walked around the next day to see rates and such. I found a reasonable hotel for my budget. smile {Hint - If you want to be near the soul of the city, stay close to town. The further away you are from town, the more burdernsome it is to travel due to the water taxi.)

Anyway, akafriend, if you can make it down between march 13-20, we can hang out. I'm going down with a group of old college friends. We're in our mid-20's and went to school in the Northeast. Hope you can make it!

San Pedro is the place to be!!!
:p wink laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (lomckenna, Papa John, 2 invisible), 48 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.