Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63057 02/15/03 01:13 PM
Lizzard Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello All,

Is it possible to visit the far north end of AC by bike, golf cart or foot? I saw a map that showed some landmarks that are not usually discussed anywhere and I wasn't sure if travel to the following locations is recommended:
THREE CUTS
LAGUNA CANTENA
ROCKY POINT
ROBLES PIONT
PUNTA AZUL
PALMERO POINT

Can you take the golf carts on the beach??

Thanks to all who may help!

#63058 02/15/03 10:55 PM
T
T
Hubby and I biked as far as Journeys' End (I think that was the name of the place), then the road (dirt/sand)ended. Apparently, from there, you can switch over to the beach for a while. I don't know about golf carts. Probably not---the road is mostly sand, not paved or even graded. Go early in the am, otherwise it's really HOT.

#63059 02/15/03 11:33 PM
I suggest a stop at Tres Cocos to refresh yourself before you start on that long dry,beverage free journey to the north.

[shameless plug # 12]

Jim
#63060 02/15/03 11:38 PM
Lizzard Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Trina,

Was it mostly just beach up that far?
Did you guys enjoy it?

I will be staying at Playa Blanca. I beleive P.B. is further north than Journey's End. I noticed on a map that there is at least ten miles of beach(or nothingness) past the northernmost hotel/business...just wondering WHAT is up there?

You going back soon?

#63061 02/15/03 11:42 PM
Lizzard Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear Shameless Plugger (hehe)

Cant wait to visit your place!! Have heard alot of great things about PALAPA BAR AND GRILL!!!

Just can't wait!

#63062 02/16/03 06:28 AM
good question, Lizzard, how far north can we explore? I know it won't be by golf cart, we are not allowed to take them that far north, but how far can we get walking? Was also wondering if it possible to kayak to Mexico Rocks from Playa Blanca -that might be further than it looks on the map.

Jim, congrats on your grand opening! You have given me 2 things to look forward to, the chicken drop and refreshments at Palapa! smile

#63063 02/17/03 11:28 PM
T
T
Up north is the Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve...both aquatic and on land. It's mostly empty beach, low dunes with low trees and scrub. Pretty but hard to get to. You can take boat tours up there. There's one cool place where the reef actually comes to the shore...it's neat! We took a snorkeling tour up there last year, which went all the way up and around the top of the island. There is a very narrow canal, which the ancient Mayans dug apparently, which separates Ambergris from Mexico! It's swampy, hot with lots of neat sea life floating around...turtles, rays, etc. I would say the northern most 10 miles of the island are undeveloped, and I REALLY hope it stays that way. laugh

#63064 02/18/03 11:16 PM
Lizzard Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Trina!!
Thank you so much for your very helpful info.
Now that was the description I was looking for!
Sounds really beautiful.
I am hoping that I will be able to take MANY trips by boat to the different cayes and reefs.
Sounds like taking the journey way up north may be worth the trip...so many journey's so little time...

#63065 02/26/03 12:59 AM
Hi,

When we were there last year we stayed at Casa Azul next door to Mata Chica, about 5 miles north of town. We rented a golf cart and kept it for the week and went as far north as Playa Blanca.

Do not travel at night, the lights on the golf cart run a battery down fast.......

#63066 02/26/03 01:57 AM
T
T
If I had to recommend one "not to be missed" boat trip, it would be to Half Moon Caye. It's WAY out there...like to 2 hrs each way out into open sea, but it's "the real deal". Beautiful deserted island (okay, there's a couple of buildings, a couple of camping/tent sites), lots of birds and wildlife, and awesome snorkeling and scuba diving all round. I would go there before I would go north on Ambergris. It's just more beautiful and exciting. But it is a long day trip. Maybe you can do an overnight? laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.