Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#63136 - 02/16/03 05:07 PM Dolphins
molly Offline
Another question for everyone...

What are the chances of seeing dolphins while snorkeling? Any places better than others?

Thanks all!

Michele

#63137 - 02/16/03 05:15 PM Re: Dolphins
seabreeze Offline
I would say pretty close to 0%.

Dolphins in most cases shy away from humans. With the amount of people around at this time of year they are not often seen. The best chances to see dolphins will be just inside the reef during the mornings. They usually swim south about 200-300 feet offshore along the island while feeding. I see them on a regular basis while driving to work. Also in the bay behind the island or behind Caye Caulker. Unless you spend alot of time in the water (tours) you will most likely not see any. Sorry.

#63138 - 02/16/03 05:27 PM Re: Dolphins
o jackie Offline
I have seen dolphins on the manatee tour with Searious as well as the Winnie Estelle. I have also seen them from Bananas beachfront, not close enough though.
Jackie

#63139 - 02/16/03 07:12 PM Re: Dolphins
Marty Offline
you see them fairly often boating around the cayes. like jackie said, on the winnie, or the tour boats heading south and to the mainland.

i myself haven't seen one snorkeling since about 1997. but i probably just snorkel 6-7 days a year. so the folks that go more like kent might know better.

#63140 - 02/17/03 01:07 AM Re: Dolphins
kmgentry Offline
I've seen dolphins every single time I've gone to Belize. One time from my hotel balcony on San Pedro, but usually from the boat either on the way to the cayes or on a snorkeling trip. My last trip, I was headed out to Turneffe, and we came upon a group of about 10 dolphin. We sat and watched them play for about 20 minutes. It was amazing!

#63141 - 02/21/03 06:52 PM Re: Dolphins
Debbie Offline
I saw a pair frolicking around in the water just in front of the BC Bar one afternoon. I ran to the end of the nearest dock to see them better. It was awesome.
Debbie

#63142 - 02/21/03 07:04 PM Re: Dolphins
Mel S Offline
Three years ago we will staying in Placentia. Every sunrise and sunset we saw dolphins a few hundreds of feet off the beach. It was so cool to see them skipping across the waves. i was wading in the flats fly-fishing for permit. the dolphins may have been hunting down the permit too. best-wishes, mel..........

#63143 - 02/21/03 07:12 PM Re: Dolphins
Sandy C Offline
Recommend you check with Roberto of the Winnie Estelle (boat) - he sees them frequently on his Caye Caulker/snorkeling excursions.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (dabunk, IGAmel), 45 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,075 Topics
462,351 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.