Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#63344 - 02/20/03 04:32 PM As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
RI Laura Offline
Others have provided wonderful tales of their adventures in AC. I may not be as colorful a writer, but I will do my best to tell you about Beth and my time on the island. I'm laughing already because many of you may find our "adventure" very lame. See... we came to de-stress... that was the goal. Day trips were few, but laughs were many. Our goal was to slow down, and that we did. That being said...

DAY 1, MONDAY 2/3:

Woke at 4:30am in order to get the shuttle from the hotel to the airport (we had driven from Providence to Boston the night before). We were tired, but smiling and excited about getting away from the crazy pace of work and life at home. Travel was pretty uneventful, though it felt like forever before we arrived at the Belize City airport at about 2:30pm.

As we embarked from the plane, that wonderful tropical air wrapped around us like a warm, welcoming hug. We had arrived and all was good in the world. What was even more amazing was that this was one of the first sunny days Belize had had in a while. Mother Nature was smiling on us.

We then made our way through the steps of getting our luggage and checking in at the Tropic Air terminal, through Customs and bee-lined it to Jet's Bar! This was my fourth visit, and Beth's first, so I wanted to make sure she had that first initiation into Belizian hospitality and personality by getting to meet Jet.

In true form, Jet greeted us with a smile. When we asked how he was doing, he responded with one of his favorite comebacks of "I'm not half bad." (For those who have yet to meet him... you'll get the joke when you do.) smile We then got behind the bar and had another fellow Belikin drinker take a picture of Beth and I with Jet.

We chatted for a bit with Jet and a couple who had just gotten married in AC and who were eager to give us their suggestions of things to see and do. They were all smiles and all tanned and we couldn't wait to start experiencing what they had just completed. I ran into the ladies room and changed into shorts just to get closer to that feeling.

After about 45 minutes, we boarded the plane. It wasn't one of the smallest ones. I think it had about 20 seats, but it was small enough to get Beth's hands sweating. Flying is definitely not one of her favorite activities, but she's a trooper and was prepared to make the most of it. And, as soon as we were in flight and the reef and gorgeous, aqua water was in view, she was hooked. She understood first hand what all others who have posted on this board were trying to describe. The vision is not easily translated into words. All I can say is that we (like everyone else) spent the short 15 minutes with our faces pressed against the glass having to remind ourselves to breath. It's magical. The color or the sea seems to melt into the sky. It's unBelizable!! tee hee hee... I couldn't resist!

I have to also note that we did have a woman on the flight which we tagged as the "crazy lady" who was about mid forties and seemed like she enjoyed her drinks alot. The frame of the plane was squeaking loudly with the vibration and this just drove her over the edge. She kept looking out the window and saying that the wheels looked like they were going to fall off and that the plane was falling apart. She kept pulling at the side by her seat and letting go of it, resulting in continuous loud banging that was far more unnerving than any noise the plane was making itself. A few comments were finally yelled in her direction and she shut up (or maybe I just tuned her out). Hopefully, she took the boat back on her return.

We arrived in AC... landed... grabbed a taxi to the Blue Tang Inn and were in our room (with it's stocked fridge of beer, water and coke) by 3:45pm. We unpacked... changed... grabbed our sunglasses and headed south on the beach. Fido's was our first stop, where we had several beers, some cigarettes, (I don't smoke, but for some reason on vacation I often do. :rolleyes: )and a decent dinner. We got to chatting with Michael behind the bar and he told us that tonight was joke night with Barefoot Skinny back there at Fido's. Yeah!!! We had a plan!

Beth and I were exhausted from our day of travel, so at about 6:30 we headed back to our room for a nap so that we could come back for 8pm and enjoy the planned entertainment. The mistake we made was not setting the alarm... our naps turned into 5 hours sleeps!!!! eek eek We both woke at about midnight. We laughed at our pathetic selves... changed into pj's and went back into our beds. We didn't stir again until 7am the next morning! 12 HOURS SLEEP!!! Oh my! WE were WILD in OUR first night on the island! You would think that two single women in their late thirties/early forties would have something more steamy to report, but... no. I guess we really needed our sleep! smile

- Laura

P.S. Beth... did I miss anything?? Feel free to add your comments!!

#63345 - 02/20/03 04:49 PM Re: As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
Chloe Offline
Cute can hardly wait to read the excitement on day two. wink

#63346 - 02/20/03 05:58 PM Re: As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
Marty Offline
Thanks a bunch for writing, i love reading what folks are up to after we have met on the board!!!

#63347 - 02/21/03 01:43 AM Re: As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
dbdoberman Offline
Thanks much Laura, you write so well! I love reading trip reports, and cannot wait to read about the rest of your trip. smile

#63348 - 02/21/03 02:06 AM Re: As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
NYgal Offline
Next day??? laugh

#63349 - 02/21/03 04:19 AM Re: As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
RI Laura Offline
Thanks for the nice feedback. I'll do my best to get the 10 days out... but now that I'm back in the real world I have to sneak it in between all the other junk. Since returning from Belize, I have moved into a new house and immediately had to get back to my job as well. frown But that great post-AC feeling is still there and sharing our experience with this board helps keep it going even longer!

So... for a while I'll be working, unpacking and thinking/writing about Belize. Thanks for reading... and stay tuned. It may take longer than 10 days for me to complete this, but I'll keep plugging along.

smile - Laura

#63350 - 02/21/03 06:20 AM Re: As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
B_b_f_b Offline
Great report, keep em coming between unpacking boxes. smile

#63351 - 02/21/03 06:26 AM Re: As Promised.... L&B's 10 Day Escape to Paradise: Day 1
denverdan Offline
Sounds like great R&Rn to me Laura! Take you time writing... YOU still be on Belize time, you bratt you. hehe
We will just sit back and WAIT... frown
Kidding there, glad to hear your trip is starting off, well... easy.
Can't wait to hear more!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (JaHo, joekerland, 1 invisible), 46 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,026 Topics
462,221 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.