Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#63389 - 02/22/03 02:48 AM Ruby's and my stay
BangorMaine Offline
Well what to say. We chose Belize as our first trip out of the country. (US) The trip was so exciting and easy to do that I had to say something on the subject. I love Belize!

I will start with some prices, cause before I went I really wanted to know and looked long and hard for this stuff.

Cabs: The cabs are all linked to the boats, so what ever cab you are in will deliver you to a boat that gives them a kick back. The cab ride for us was 20 US.

Boat ride. I tood the thunderbolt to AC. By far the most impressive boat that I saw in the week I was on the island was our first ride. Thunderbolt had a huge boat with way too much horse power. I am prone to sea sickness, but due to the fact that the boat captain spent much of the trip flying the boat I was fine. I really enjoyed this part of the trip and may never forget the experience. I actually walked a few extra blocks just to ride back to Belize city on the same boat. Think Miami Vice!

When we arrived on AC we were suckered into a cab ride that lasted 2 minutes. The cab drivers will tell you anything to get your $5.00 US dollars. No matter if you are riding the entire lenth of the island or just 3 blocks to Rubies from the boat dock, that is your fee....$5 bucks. My only advice is, know where you are going and figger if you are willing to pay $5 to get there.

Hotel. We stayed at Rubies in San Pedro. I would recomend this place to anyone. The room I rented was $30 per night. This place was extreamly basic, but we didn't go to stay in a room and watch tv. The rooms were clean and located right above a busy bakery....(try the Johny Cakes.MMM) For 5 nights we sat on the balcony and enjoyed the warm sea winds,,,just what we went for.

For the record...I reserved Rubies for 6 nights, but due to the sick negligence of Continental Airlines, I got there late. Because I called when I knew I was going to be late, Rubies only charged me for the 5 days. That is almost unheard of on AC..or so I am told. Kudos Rubies.

Food...Ok I stayed at Rubies and I may sound like I am here to plug them, but I am not. I ate at the Bakery at Rubies every day, and it was sooooooo good. Every morning we had two Jonny Cakes and one large coffee for $3.50 US now thats a good deal for something that I would pay double for. Oh my god it was good. Even if you stay somewhere else,,,,try this bakery.

Tours, We went on a Snorkle tour and the Altune Ha tour. I liked the Snorkle tour, but fish are only so exciting. I don't remember the name of the tour service, but I would imagine they are all the same. They just want to make sure every one is safe. Not a bad thing in the long run. Try it if you don't get what you need at the pet store looking through the glass.

Tour 2: I took a trip through Searious. Again, located just outside of Rubies, but I actually didn't know that when I walked to Bananas (20 mins down the beach) to book it. Our guide, Ricky, was extreamly entertaining. This guy had absolutly no filter when it came to holding back on stories, but I am an adult and he was really funny to me. Something that you may not expect from some one with this lack of concern was his extreamly high level of knoledge. Ricky explained every thing form the plant and animal life to the history of Altune Ha. If you allow yourself to enjoy this experience, you will never ever forget howmuch fun it was.

I could go on all damn night, but I wont. If you have a question about this place, email me. I will return to AC. I love it there.

How come Continental couldn't screw up my flight leaving Belize and leave me there for a day or two more?

#63390 - 02/22/03 03:39 AM Re: Ruby's and my stay
dbdoberman Offline
not a bad first trip! sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. smile

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (CaptOneIron), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.