Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#63469 - 02/24/03 04:57 PM AC Trip Report
MamaLiz Offline
Trip Report: AC

Flew into BZE Thursday and took a cab to Muni. Even with cab fare, we saved $200.
We stayed at the Hide Away. It used to be yellow and run by four gals from Texas; itís been whitewashed and the one lady left has it up for sale. Joyce is as gracious as ever, but the place seems a bit sad now. The restaurant has been leased to an American couple that seems desperate to make it work. Unfortunately, desperation isnít very pretty.
The first item of business was to get the girls' hair braided. We walked up the beach to a palapa hut next to Estelís (the best place for breakfast) where the sign said ďRosanna Hair Braiding Done HereĒ. She did an excellent job on my younger daughter; she also told her that she was nice and thin but her sister was fat, then she did such a bad job on my older daughter that the braids fell out the next day. DONíT EVER GO TO ROSANNA aka RED GIRL. The next day we got the phone number of Helen. Helen is 3rd or 4th generation islander and knows some wonderful history. When I called her, she came to our hotel within 15 minutes and did my daughterís hair right by the pool. She did such a fantastic job on my older daughterís hair that my younger one was jealous. She was terrific. Call her at 206-2610 or 606-7467.

We spent one day in the pool, one day with a golf cart and one day snorkeling.
The golf cart was from Cars R Us, it was $48 for 24 hours and I canít believe we didnít need a charge. We went everywhere! We loved Boco Del Rio Park. If you have kids, itís a nice playground with some of the equipment in the shallow water. The water level was high and the wind was blowing so getting onto the ferry north was interesting. The north is much prettier than the south, but I wonít go to Captain Morganís again. We had bad service and overpriced food next to their pool. We had much better food at a roadside barbeque just south of the cut. We did go south, but Satan was a no-show. Ah well, it was a fun drive anyway.
We visited Papiís for lobster; it was wonderful. Celiís for lunch and had the best fish and chips Iíve had in my life (the fish was fresh grouper). Tried going to Fidoís which I enjoyed so much 3 years ago. They only have bottled drinks, no fresh juices for the non-alcohol crowd. The menu didnít have a thing that my kids were remotely interested in. We left there and drove around looking for something more appropriate. A guy stepped out into the road waving a menu saying, ďHave dinner here! Please!Ē The place was (I may have it slightly wrong) Cocina Caramba. They greeted us with complimentary conch cerviche, fixed a smoothie for my daughter that wasnít on the menu, and served the best Mexican food she has ever tried. The fish was also wonderful. We loved it!
I had tried to arrange an all-day snorkel trip with Alfonso Graniel. He said wait to until I get to the island, then call. It was hard to get a hold of him (heís out on a boat all day) and when I did he said heíd have to check around to find more people who might be interested. More waiting. Then we finally got word that he couldnít find anyone else, so no trip. That was disappointing. I understand how things work there, but I really had tried. So, we ended up on Hustlerís catamaran. Hol Chan was neat (a spotted eagle ray and eels fighting!), but I only saw 3 rays at shark-ray alley. We stopped at Caye Caulker for lunch and were served the biggest burrito Iíve ever seen at Rasta Pasta. After some ice cream (I donít know what soursop is, but it works great as an ice-cream flavor!), my girls were abducted by smiling children who pulled them into the surf. There were about a half a dozen in various shades of brown. They wrapped their arms around my girls for ďridesĒ, they all linked hands, said ď1,2,3 GO!Ē and dove forward and one girl jumped up to say ďI win!Ē. They just seemed so very happy to see my children. Iím tempted to go back just because of that.

In all honesty, I probably wonít go back to AC again. I did have a wonderful time but if you have 10 guests, you might be genuinely pleased to see each one; if you have 10000, you canít do anything but go through the motions. Itís starting to feel like people are going through the motions and it can only get worse. My next trip to Belize will probably include Caye Caulker or Placencia. Sad but true.

#63470 - 02/24/03 05:28 PM Re: AC Trip Report
o jackie Offline

Helen is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. She is always so pleasant, the first two times I was down there, I walked and talked with her for hours. Just listening to her stories and she has a lot. I never got my hair braid, bad experience in the ever so dreaded Cancun. I did not see her the last time I was down there,but now that you posted her number I will be sure to give her a call. I love those beaded sandles that she makes, though, I will probably buy a pair in May.

I also had a bad experience at Capt Morgans,the service was terrible and they treated me like I was some kind of skum that just rolled in from the ocean.I hard a hard time paying also, they would not take my travelers checks(I had my ID and a credit card they said I need another form of ID), then they would not take my credit card(said I did not order enough to charge). So I had to end up using the little US money and BZ money that I had brought with me. I will never go there again!!! That place is one of the worst.

Sorry you did not enjoy your trip that much,but atleast you are not giving up on Belize totally.

#63471 - 02/24/03 08:04 PM Re: AC Trip Report
Gela Offline
MamaLiz - where is CarsRUs located? Do you have their telephone number? $48 dollars for 24 hours is the best rate I've seen.
Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's" frown

#63472 - 02/24/03 08:31 PM Re: AC Trip Report
rickcheri Offline
They are located behind Ramon's, but we got a 10 day rental for 325US!! Its at Moncho's there by the airport. Just ask for a discount and they will give ya one!!!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,742 Topics
461,319 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.