Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63596 - 02/26/03 12:22 PM Amigo Divers
Scubabuddy Offline
Has anyone used Amigos Divers and if so what is your opinion of this group? Also, does anyone have suggestions on dive sites for more or less a beginner. I will be with more experienced divers but I am not ready for the REAL deep waters and want to stay shallow. Some told me that you can see so far through the water that as long as I stay up with them I would not have to go as deep as they do

#63597 - 02/26/03 02:16 PM Re: Amigo Divers
Marty Offline
Amigos del Mar?
they are super good.

#63598 - 02/26/03 02:20 PM Re: Amigo Divers
toad Offline

#63599 - 02/26/03 02:44 PM Re: Amigo Divers
aqtpie2 Offline
Amigos Del Mar - Some of the best out there! Wonderful outfit, have used them for most dives in Belize.

#63600 - 02/26/03 04:12 PM Re: Amigo Divers
Scubabuddy Offline
Thanks for the information. Makes me feel better about diving. Most of the people in our group are more experienced than I and my buddy is as well. Just have a fear of the deep. What a hobby to get into. LOL

#63601 - 02/27/03 12:31 PM Re: Amigo Divers
jkdiver Offline

Also, just tell the dive master that you are somewhat nervous. I do that when I dive for the first time in a while(I am usually nervous on the 1st dive) and they will watch you and make sure you are OK.

#63602 - 02/27/03 12:35 PM Re: Amigo Divers
Scubabuddy Offline
Thanks for the advice JoAnn. So the boats have divemasters that go out with the group like they do in other places I have been. I just have some phobias and am trying really hard to beat them. I get so anxious my breathing gets fast especially when my mask fills up with water. I am told I smile too much and my smile lines cause my mask to flood. Just leads to a not so fun dive.

#63603 - 02/27/03 01:08 PM Re: Amigo Divers
Marty Offline
Amigos has taught pretty much my whole family how to dive. we take classes up here, then go to Belize for the real stuff.

we have had several kids learn, and 4-5 adults that went with Amigos and did their first dives with them...

#63604 - 02/27/03 02:42 PM Re: Amigo Divers
Angie D Offline
We used Amigos del Mar on our trip to AC last June and I thought they were pretty good. The great thing about Amigos is that they have a lot of boats, so if you have a decent sized group, you get a boat to yourselves (we had our own boat all week). Our group of 6 consisted of 5 relatively experienced divers and 1 brand new diver--first time even seeing the ocean! We made the arrangements through our hotel and when they picked us up the first day, the DM questioned our skills levels, # of dives, etc. The DM worked closely with our new diver, staying with him the entire time, helping him descend, etc. The rest of us were given the freedom to explore a little, as long as we kept the group in sight. The new diver usually came up ahead of the rest of us, but the DM would go up with him and make sure he got on the boat, then come down to re-join the rest of us until we were done. The DM we had was pretty hands off---not too good pointing out critters, etc, but we enjoyed the freedom they allowed us, so we weren't complaining. This was for the local AC diving. We also did a trip to Turneffe Elbow and this is where Amigos really shined. The boat was roomy and perfect for that 2.5 hour trip and the DM's on the big boat were really good at keeping an eye on everyone and pointing out interesting things underwater. So all in all I was happy with them and would definitely use them again. I hope this helps!

#63605 - 02/27/03 04:42 PM Re: Amigo Divers
jkdiver Offline

I also get anxious before my first dive. I had a panic attack a few years ago due to me being tired and being in a strong current. The dive master from that boat (Fiji Aggressor) helped me out greatly! She pulled me until I was in front of a wall and out of the current. It ended up being a GREAT dive.

If I am feeling anxious, I just make sure someone knows so the will be able to watch me.

Don't worry, you will have an amazing time!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 82 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,729 Topics
461,287 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.