Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63923 03/01/03 04:50 PM
D
D6pack Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Having only gone diving once before, in Mexico, I am not certified. How much time and money does it take to get certified in AC? confused If I do not need to get certified, can I still dive with a dive master? Any reputable ones for a relative novice? Thanks wink

#63924 03/01/03 04:59 PM
S
S
We'll be going on our first trip to Belize in June. So I can't tell you how many days or how much a certification course is in Belize. But, as a certified diver, I wouldn't recommend diving without be certified.

#63925 03/01/03 05:20 PM
you can take a "resort" course - maybe $125, you get a 1/2 day diving, but why bother - get fully certified. The best way is to be a "referral". Do the coursework at a dive center close to home, then get referred to an operation in AC for your certification dives. Alot of dive operators on AC do full certification courses, click on "goods and services" at the top here - then check out the dive operators and prices.

#63926 03/01/03 06:00 PM
dbdoberman you are correct in what you suggest to them, but you did not stress one very important thing. Who in their right mind would want to do the book reading and study required for OW on vacation? I know I wouldn't, it's time to have fun and not be stuck getting confused with dive tables... [Linked Image]

Ok,OK don't beat me up, So I'm NAUI certified, sue me...

#63927 03/01/03 06:26 PM
I agree with you, crawfish! a referral would be the way to go, if they cannot get fully certified beforehand. I sure wouldn't want to spend my time in paradise doing the full course. hahaha, I remember those tables - thank God for dive computers!

#63928 03/02/03 01:20 AM
Salute to DB and crawfish..both on the nose...do the course work at home..open water dives in AC.
My Cohort on this trip is doing it.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#63929 03/02/03 02:50 AM
DO THE COURSE WORK AT HOME .... GOOD ADVISE!

Many of the Dive shops in AC will let you do your checkout dives when you bring your universal referral. The prices are all within a few dollars of each other, so just do it with someone you feel comfortable with [maybe get a reference from someone you know or this board]
I personally will be doing mine with Kent @ Blue Hole Dive Center [plug wink ] The classes [which aren't hard] I've done in my home town because as was correctly said here ..... WHO WANTS TO STUDY WHILE ON VACATION!!

I used to dive many years agao [wont say how many :rolleyes: ] But I haven't been in the water for a very long time .... It was a no brainer for me to want to be recertified. All Things change and update, Nitrogen tables have changed,LOTS of Equipment changes ... etc ....
You really DON'T want to dive without a REAL certification, just not smart. Besides .. Once Certified you open up a whole new world to explore !! [Geez, I sound like a commercial!]
laugh :p laugh

GOOD LUCK !!

#63930 03/02/03 05:42 PM
N
N
We didn't get around to getting a referral and so did the whole open water diver course on AC last summer - we went with Amigos del Mar (Eddie, as I recall), who were excellent ( in particular on the dives with my wife, who was initially very nervous)and it took roughly 3 days, about one day of which, in total over the period, was spent in the 'class room'. With the sun and the sea just outside, it was a real incentive to pass the class room test a.s.a.p. wink

#63931 03/02/03 09:54 PM
D
D6pack Offline OP
OP Offline
D
smile Thanks for all the advice. We are now planning on doing the book and pool work at home and the open water dives in AC. We will be staying at Ramon's Village - Any suggestions for who to dive with. Also, I have to ask, since my wife will be a first-timer and very nervous - are there any places for a diver to walk in instead of dropping into the water? Thanks again. cool

#63932 03/02/03 10:23 PM
Ramon's has their own dive shop. that would be convenient enough. Maybe somebody who has dived with them can tell you more. From their info, they sound good. Haven't heard of shore diving on AC. Have a great trip! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.