Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#6404 - 10/04/00 08:21 PM Latest Info From San Pedro
JAYBZE Offline
Just spoke to David Marin from Reef Radio and they are on the air via Generator and they are live only for the local area at the moment.

There is NO CHAOS whatsoever on the island. There is a curfew which is being monitored by the BDF and Police force. Everyone is cooperating and many locals are flying to the mainland to buy supplies and flying back to the island.

Tropic Air is operating flights to Belize Municpal Airstrip, Belize International Airport and Corozal for those who wish to leave the island.

There is NO MASS evacuation. NO Mass illnesses nor anything like that. He reassured me that everyone is ok and those who are not accounted for are more than likely in the mix of people trying to put their lives back together.

He estimated power to be out for a minimum of 2 weeks as about 80% of the high tension cables are down. Many houses were damaged and about 40% of them were destroyed.

Tomorrow, the Town Board will be bulldozing the streets to clear it of all debris and is encouraging all residents who have debris in their yard or anything that they need to get rid of to just place them in front of their yard and the Town Board will take care of it.

The San Pedranos are persistent in getting things cleaned up and ready for the Thanksgiving Season which is around the bend.

He urged me to STOP listening to any rumours and disinformation being given out by the media and that EVERYTHING IS OK IN SAN PEDRO!

I told him that help is on the way and to pass the message on to Hon. Patty Arceo that she needs to have Customs be ready to make the transition as smooth as possible for the very many donations that will be arriving in Belize.

People who are on the island with cellular phones can get some service when they climb up to the top of the Alijua Building on front street but are not keeping their cel phones turned on for a long time as power is very limited and they can only recharge it using generators from few folks who own them.

All in all, the conditions sound very encouraging and all he asked us to do on this end is to keep sending the help their way.

#6405 - 10/04/00 10:07 PM Re: Latest Info From San Pedro
lmarquis Offline
Although I have no friends or family on A.C. I am glad to hear that "Everything is Ok". We hope to go forward with our first visit during Thanksgiving week, but are still trying to decide if we should cancel. Thanks for the update.

#6406 - 10/04/00 10:11 PM Re: Latest Info From San Pedro
Kathy in Canada Offline
well i hope this explains why I haven't heard from my parents. They are probably helping with clean up....since they are "new" residents. ;-)

At any rate..this message has relaxed me..for now.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.