Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#64546 - 03/12/03 05:32 AM San Pedro ca. 1983?
Jacy Offline
I was on AC for a month in November of '83 and I'm trying to figure out where I stayed. It was just through the brush from the airstrip but was almost certainly not the Holiday Hotel. More along the lines of a rustic 2-story building with maybe 4 or 6 kitchenette 'condo' units. Wood jalousies, no hot running water, slab of 4" foam on a wood frame for a bed. IIRC, John Greif Sr. owned it and lived adjacent, in a separate structure.

Spent a lot of time at Fido's (Connie and Chas, a retired RAF guy, owned it or were running it) and the Tackle Box. Also spent a night on Caye Chapel for a fishing tournament. Have some very grainy and blurry photos that aren't much help. Too many Belikens. cool

#64547 - 03/12/03 05:54 AM Re: San Pedro ca. 1983?
Marie Offline
Hi Jacy,

Well, I've been going for 9 years, so can't give you a definative answer. From the description it sounds like it might be close to where the SunBreeze is now. You might ask them. A better bet would be to get on Ambergris Today.com - the local newspaper. They have a segment called "25 Years Ago". Surely, that person could help you. Good luck. I envy you, you must have many different memories than I do.

#64548 - 03/13/03 04:33 AM Re: San Pedro ca. 1983?
Jacy Offline
It was a fantastic trip, Marie. I'd only planned on staying for a week and would probably still be there today had my boss not threatened to fire and bring charges against me if I didn't hie my butt back to work. eek

I'm thinking you're probably right about the location mentioned. I also found a photo of something that resembles my fuzzy memory of where I stayed. I tried to email the photographer but it bounced.

Memories... ah, there are SO many, but they mostly center on the people -- ex-pats (US and Brit) and natives were all so wonderfully warm, inviting and friendly. I'd traveled there by myself (I was 24) and from the second I got on the Tropic Air Cessna in BC, people began to look after me. There was an RAF supply sergeant named Dennis (he hailed from Trinidad & Tobago) on the same flight, on his way for some weekend R&R. We chatted amiably during the flight (which is another story in itself, of course!) and parted ways at the San Pedro airstrip. The next morning I found a HUGE box of books outside my door, along with a note from Dennis indicating I'd probably find myself with time on my hands and he hoped these would help. I was instantly charmed. Plus, they were all British best-sellers and reading the Queen's English the whole time just added to the ambiance. God knows, I needed to extend my stay just to finish those books. wink

One of these days I'll get back there. My husband (whom I met the very day I returned from AC) doesn't quite get its charm so I may end up there solo once again, but I WILL GET THERE! laugh

#64549 - 03/13/03 05:19 AM Re: San Pedro ca. 1983?
Marie Offline
Hi Jacy,

Great memories! Has your husband every been there? If not, see if he won't give it a chance. Its one of my favorite places on earth!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (dabunk, IGAmel), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,294 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.