Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64662 03/13/03 01:18 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I plan on cast fishing with guides and from piers or banks. Could someone please suggest what lures/hooks/weights/line to bring. I have ordered a telescoping rod since I didn't thing the airline would appreciate a six ft. rod on board. Also...does anyone know the size limit of carry on baggage?

#64663 03/13/03 05:12 PM
I just got off the phone with USair, and found out that carrying a collapsable 6 footer will be fine. I went out and bought a two piece 6 footer, and told USair that it would only be 3' long...she said "no problem at all".

As far as tackle goes, I'm bringing a little of everything crammed into a small box. I have read thru countless archived posts, and also gathered info from other websites on what to bring. It seems that most guides have what you'll need, so when chartering a boat, you need not worry.

As far as what I'm packing: An assortment of small spinners such as Mepps & Rooster tails. A small assortment of topwater plugs, poppers & walk-types. An assortment of lead heads and small grubs supposedly will take bones from shore. Add in a few rattletraps, and Rapala-type stick baits, and I think I have the artificials covered. Don't forget some small steel leaders for the Barracuda as they will eat just about anything. I also am bringing some split shots, and small hooks (1/0 & 2/0) for fishing with bait. I've been told that plain old Sardines work very well down there, and can be found at a local bait shop.

To round it all off, I'm bringing a couple spinning reels that will both fit on the 2-piece rod, each with different pound test, one with light test, the other with a bit heavier line. I'm even throwing in an extra spool or two. You'd be amazed how small of a box I fit all this into!! My last suggestion is a good set of needle-nose pliers for the Cudas, and whatever else you might catch but can't safely identify!!

If I can't catch 'em on this assortment, than shame on me!! I'm hiring guides for a couple days as well....

Tight lines.......

#64664 03/13/03 08:45 PM
S
S
I BROUGHT A LIGHT ( 4 PIECE ) ROD 8 LB TES LINE.A SMALL SINKER AND REG HOOK I BOUGHT THERE DID BETTER THAN MY OWN LURES. FOUND SEVERAL LOCALS THAT SELL SARDINES OUT OF THEIR HOMES. JUST ASK A LOCAL. HAD GOOD LUCK AT THE CUT. ASK YOUR GUIDE TO POINT OUT A GOOD SPOT TO FISH ON YOUR OWN, THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL. MY GUIDE USED HERMIT CRABS FOR BONE FISHING AND I HAD A BLAST!! GOOD LUCK!

#64665 03/14/03 09:29 AM
You may want to bring some wading sandals or wading shoes for fishing on the flats. You don't want to walk into a sea urchin, or a broken bottle. Keep a baseball-cap and some UV sunglasses so you can see the fish. Buena Suerte, mel S.......

Mel Sinderman

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.