Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#64920 - 03/18/03 01:13 AM honeymoon A.C. (caribbean Questions)
seattle Offline
we are planning a honeymoon in mid october of 2003. we have never been to the caribbean, and it is so overwhelming on what place to choose. could anyone help us narrow it down to maybe 3-4 caribbean places. we have heard great things about A.C.. I guess we want the perfect honeymoon, any suggestions on where to go. We are looking at a 7-9 day trip, with 2 days of diving no more than 2 days of doing nothing and relaxing on the beach, and the rest doing tours around the area. we would like to do exploring. night life would be good, but we dont want to be in the middle of cruise ship hot spots. THANK YOU for any help you can give us newbees to the caribbean.

#64921 - 03/18/03 08:51 PM Re: honeymoon A.C. (caribbean Questions)
Debbie Offline
AC has it all. Literally!!! You wouldn't be disappointed unless you're looking for ultra luxury. AC is simple, beautiful, charming and unique. Not all touristy and overpriced like some places. It's english speaking, has AWESOME reefs, good food, nice weather, good night life, nice people, and TONS of tours to ruins, manatees, zoos, and the jungle. There is lots of water sports available, it's casual, relaxed and just plain fun. Check it out further.....
Debbie

#64922 - 03/18/03 10:05 PM Re: honeymoon A.C. (caribbean Questions)
River Shark Offline
Hey Seattle,
We've been to several islands in the Caribbean but our trip in May will be our first to Belize and AC and we are expecting some real excitment and a laid back atmosphere.

PLACES WE HAVE TRAVELED IN THE CARIBBEAN:
We were in St. Thomas two years ago. It was a very nice place to visit, but there are too many cruise ships that dock there everyday. Sometimes as many as 8 in the harbor at one time. That puts as many as 30,000 cruise guest on the same tours and shopping in the same shops that you want to frequent. It's a little much. But it is U.S. territory in these unsettling times and there is St. John and St. Croix not too far away as well as the BVI.

We went to Bimini in the Bahamas a few months later and though we have been to Nassua, Bimini is in a world all it's own. Bimini is 50 miles from Miami FL. Talk about laid back - the island is 700 feet wide and 7 miles long with approx 1600 inhabitants. But if you don't dive or deep sea fish there is not a lot else to do. We flew in on Chalks airways (amphibious plane) and landed in the water - it was soooooooooooo coooooooooooool, and left the same way. It's about a 30-minute flight from Miami, and you really feel like your still on U.S. soil cause your so close to Florida. But other than diving and fishing Bimini is prety quiet. Remember Gary Hart, the presidential candidate back in the 80's whose picture popped up with his girl friend sitting on his lap - that ws taken at the Bimini Big Game Club. Hemingway lived here when he wrote "Islands in the Stream" in the 30's and his house is still there and can be booked thru the Blue Water Inn. It looks like he just left for a few days. The whole island is like stepping back into the 30's or 40's. And I found a place to get a "Cheeseburger in Paradise", that was as good as any I've had here in the states.

We've been to Cozumel - too many people, too many cruise ships, and too many locals trying to get your last buck. But they have some nice reefs and a lot of dive operators looking for business. We were only there one day as we were on a cruise ship ourselves.

Cayman was too expensive but has Sting Ray City and some shore diving - that was cool with no boat ride. There again only for a day - it was the cruise thing.

Jamaica - what can I say. If it weren't for the crime and poverty this island would be my favorite palce to visit. They have beutiful waterfalls, mountains that rise out of the sea, caves, rivers, coffee plantations, and a whole lot more stuff - really a cool place. But the locals will hit you up as soon as you get off the plane (smoke, coke, taxi). And out of those three almost everyone is a potential customer. It's a little on the rough side but beutiful. If you go there it is best to do all inclusive and stay close to the facility where you stay unless you're like us and "take the road less traveled".

There you go with places to look at for your honeymoon. Remember October can be hurricane season in the lower Carribbean - buy trip insurance too be sure or go to the Bahamas (Bimini), we were there in October - NO PROBLEM.

But if AC is as nice as we read on this board, we may have found our paradise in the sun. We are so looking forward to this trip in May, and as you can probably see we don't usually go back to any one place. As a friend of mine once said "Why go back when there are so many places yet to to". Good question - maybe AC and Belize will be the answer to the question.

#64923 - 03/19/03 09:53 AM Re: honeymoon A.C. (caribbean Questions)
seashell Offline
I have to stop myself from going back to AC. I mean, physically and mentally, tie myself down. I have also visited a couple of other places since I started going down to Belize but there are still more places I'm interested in seeing. If I had endless resources, then I could do it all. However, the resources aren't endless and I know I need to go to visit other places for a while.

It hurts just to think about it.

It hasn't been said in a while, so I'll start.

Hello, my name is seashell, and I'm an ACholic.

#64924 - 03/19/03 01:57 PM Re: honeymoon A.C. (caribbean Questions)
Marie Offline
How true Seashell! I had intended to be in Ecuador this February. Ended up in AC!

To the honeymooners....that said....don't forget the inland, too, while you're here. That's the neatest thing about Belize. You're easily accessible to two very different worlds. Have a great time.

#64925 - 03/19/03 03:57 PM Re: honeymoon A.C. (caribbean Questions)
ejbpesca Offline
I haven't been down in 23 years but from what I gather on this bb the place has changed mostly in the development of places to eat/stay/fish service while keeping its laid back tropical island feel. After a long wait..I just had to go back to the island...and watch the sun go down...sea roll in...remember that by Leon Russell?

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Marty, Judyann H., Canuk, JaHo, 1 invisible), 60 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.