Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#65061 - 03/20/03 11:01 PM Go from international or municipal?
jtv Offline
I just discovered we can get to San Pedro much cheaper if we leave from the municipal airport, especially since there are five of us. Should we have any concerns about taking a taxi to town? We heard there have been some problems in the past with tourists being way-laid?!? Any truth to this? Also, one of the five is a six-year old. Is it more of a hassle than it is worth taking the taxi rather than paying the extra bucks to leave from the international airport? We are leaving snowy CO in just four days!!

#65062 - 03/20/03 11:54 PM Re: Go from international or municipal?
KBG Offline
WITH A GROUP YOU CAN REALLY SAVE BY GOING TO MUNICIPAL. DON'T WORRY IT IS PERFICALLY SAFE, AFTER CUSTOMS JUST PASS OUT THE DOOR TO THE OUTSIDE, DON'T GO INTO THE LOBBY FOR DEPARTING FLIGHTS. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A BUNCH OF OLD STATION WAGON TYPE CABS READY TO TAKE YOU TO MUNICIPAL AIRPORT. THE TRIP WON'T TAKE BUT A FEW MINUTES. SINCE YOU HAVE A GROUP, NEGOCIATE A FEE FOR THE TRIP BEFORE GETTING INTO THE CAB. THERE IS A SMALL WAITING ROOM AT THE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT AND YOU WILL CATCH A FLIGHT FROM THERE TO THE SAN PEDRO. YOU MIGHT EVEN END UP ON A FLIGHT THAT HAS LEFT FROM INTERNATIONAL, STOPS AT MUNICIPAL AND PICKS YOU UP BEFORE DEPARTING FOR THE 15 MINUTE FLIGHT TO SAN PEDRO. GO SOON AND ENJOY. BUT REMEMBER IT IS PERFICALLY SAFE FOR TOURIST TO TAKE A CAB FROM AIRPORT TO AIRPORT. BELIZE IS SAFER THAN WHEREVER YOU FLEW OUT OF IN THE STATES.
KBG cool

#65063 - 03/21/03 12:18 AM Re: Go from international or municipal?
Diane Campbell Offline
Its VERY safe to take a taxi as you suggest. It is a ride of about 1/2 hour from International to Municipal. The plan could backfire on you if you are on a flight that arrives later in the day or are on an airline route that is prone to delays. At International they watch the incoming flights, and if yours is late, they will still have a plane and space for you. No such plan applies at Municipal.

#65064 - 03/21/03 01:28 AM Re: Go from international or municipal?
Short Offline
Take International. The higher rate is more than worth it!

#65065 - 03/21/03 02:43 AM Re: Go from international or municipal?
denverdan Offline
KGB and Diane are totally right on... then again, we do what Short does. wink

#65066 - 03/22/03 06:28 AM Re: Go from international or municipal?
Marie Offline
Do you really want to do that? Check out the taxi fee, tips, etc, that get added on. There is much to be said for landing in BZ and thirty minutes later hopping a plane to Amerbergris and kicking your shoes off upon departure (Ahhhhh!!!!!!). Only you can decide if its a bargain, financially and comfort wise, to take Municipal.

#65067 - 03/22/03 11:23 AM Re: Go from international or municipal?
seashell Offline
It costs around $20 to take a taxi to the Muni from the Intl. If you are a group and your flight gets in early enough, it can be a reasonable savings. If your flight doesn't get in early enough in the day . . .it just isn't worth it.

Let's try to work this out . . . $46.50/person/oneway from Intl to San Pedro vs
$26/person/one way from Muni to San Pedro. So $20 difference, which is easily the cab fare. OK, that's one person, but you guys are a group. So has your group brought a small amount of luggage and so you will all fit in one cab?

Now let's think about the return trip. What time does your plane leave Belize City? Is it late enough in the day to find that you don't have to worry about getting from the Muni to the Intl?

Me, I'd rather be sitting in San Pedro either the day I arrive or the day of my departure, with my feet up drinking a Beliken, than trying to figure out how to save $15. Just my call . . .I'm not five people including a child.

#65068 - 03/23/03 12:34 AM Re: Go from international or municipal?
Barbara K Offline
I've done both with & without kids. You have to figure it adds at least an hour on to each side. The last flights to SP from either airport is about 5:30 so you need to arrive into the int'l by 3 ish to make it feasible to get to the muni on time. You can try it on the way over and then decide if it was worth the savings (but more hassle) for the way back.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.