Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#65111 - 03/21/03 08:14 PM swim beach
beachie Offline
I have been diligently checking out all the mid-range hotels, most seem to have piers/boats, fishing/diving outfits along their beaches instead of swimming beaches. They all promote their swimming pools rather than their beaches. Any hotels with nice swimming beaches for around $80.00 per night within walking distance of the clubs downtown? Looking for suggestions/have never been to AC.

#65112 - 03/21/03 08:21 PM Re: swim beach
ChrisW Offline
Do a search on beaches. There is not much swimming off the beaches. It is too shallow and if you go out too far you run into the problem of boat traffic. The best swimming is said to be at the cut and also off of some the piers.

#65113 - 03/21/03 08:23 PM Re: swim beach
ejbpesca Offline
You can swim just about anywhere but its been my experience that the water is pretty shallow along the beaches and do be careful of the sea urchins.

#65114 - 03/21/03 09:17 PM Re: swim beach
Marie Offline
Probably not going to happen. My suggestion, wander down to the Boca del Rio park. Not a bad beach, but you have to walk out awhile to get to swimming depth. Also, a good idea, take the hand bridge over the Boca, and wander along the beach en route to the Palapa bar, then Capricorn. Lots of places there you can take a dip. There is a lot of sea grass, so if you are fussy, this may not work for you. I wouldn't get to enticed by the advertisements of pools. Many of them are shallow and short. Swimming off the piers really is not a bad option. Many of them have steps down. Good luck.

#65115 - 03/21/03 09:21 PM Re: swim beach
beachie Offline
Well I guess I get the picture - its not a swimming place. So how do you go snorkeling? Is it all done by boat tours?

#65116 - 03/21/03 10:25 PM Re: swim beach
Debbie Offline
Yup.... but a boat out to snorkel is not really that expensive. The big tours are a little more money. Actually, the reef is close enough to swim to. You can see it easily from the shore. The problem is the boat traffic. It's not recommended. A few people rent kayaks and kayak out to the reef. Many enjoy it if you're up to that. Some of the upscale hotels clear small spots around the pier for you to stand up and not have to touch the sea grass. It's not bad, but some don't like it touching thier legs. If you snorkel over the top of it slowly, you can see all manner of sea life, including sea horses!!!! It's not as bad as it sounds. It just means it's still a very healthy reef system. If you want to see cool stuff, you have to accept it. Enjoy. Debbie

#65117 - 03/21/03 11:16 PM Re: swim beach
BobS Offline
I'd suggest forgetting about snorkeling around piers. First, the boats make it risky. Second, I think you'll be dissappointed if you know what good snorkeling is. And one reason for this we witnessed up at Capt Morgan's pier. A teenager was spearfishing[which I was told is still legal in AC]for fun and left many small wounded angels etc just lying on the pier to slowly perish. The point is that there was no authority there to stop him but I'm sure no boat operator takes anyone out with a gun.

#65118 - 03/21/03 11:23 PM Re: swim beach
Anonymous
Marie- what is a HAND BRIDGE? The only way to cross the river is by the hand ferry. Is that what you call a bridge? Misleading!

#65119 - 03/22/03 01:01 AM Re: swim beach
seashell Offline
On the other hand, if you just want to go for a little swim/snorkel and see some fish, you can do that off of Ramon's dock. Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a huge school of fish, many more than I generally see together, even while diving. Also, two very large puffer fish and two white crabs mating in the sand . . all under or near Ramon's dock. Sure, there was no pretty coral but plenty to see!

Bob, sure there are some docks that you shouldn't be swimming/snorkelling off of due to the boats, but there are some that are safe for that, assuming you don't go too far afield. For example, the Paradise Villas dock and Ramon's. While I haven't been swimming off of Paradise Villas dock for a while, they used to have the artificial reef bells set out down there to encourage a habitat for the fish. Anyone been there lately to see how that's turned out?

And bettabelizeit, get a life. So Marie misspoke, so what? At least she is enthusiastic about San Pedro (some things more than others, hee hee) whereas you are contrary to everything and everybody.

#65120 - 03/22/03 03:09 AM Re: swim beach
Marie Offline
Thanks SeaShell! Really, let us be thankful that this site is as un-cranky, overall, as it is! It could be worse! Every now and then, someone gets their tail in a twist, but overall, my guess is, we love the place, and just want to support it. Different people....different days....different opinions!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.