Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#65472 - 03/28/03 07:47 PM Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
Marty Online   happy
Environmentalists are concerned about a new lobster pilot project. This
pilot project is being implemented by the Belize Fisheries Department,
Belize Hotel Association and the Belize Tourist Board. Hoteliers have
signed a memorandum of understanding that would allow them to serve
lobster during the closed season, from February 15th to June 14th.

The memorandum states the seventeen registered restaurants must purchase
their lobster from the Belize Hotel Association who receive their stocks
from accredited fishing cooperatives, at a non-refundable fee of three
US dollars a pound. These sales will be subject to random inspections
conducted by the Belize Fisheries Department. This lobster stock that
was purchased before February 15th, cannot be resold, exchanged or
traded for other purposes other than the Lobster Consumption Monitoring
Project. Representatives from the Fisheries Department said that the
objective of this lobster pilot project is to investigate if
pre-purchased lobster stocks can sustain restaurant demands during the
closed season. Environmentalist, however, are concerned that the pilot
project might encourage the illegal sale of lobster.

Placencia villagers have petitioned the Fisheries Department to
discourage the practice. Meanwhile reports reaching Love Fm say that
fishermen in Belize City were found selling lobster illegally. The
Memorandum of understanding further states that the Closed Season
Consumption Project will be terminated in the event of any violation
with prepaid stocks being confiscated by the Fisheries Department. (from
Love FM)

#65473 - 03/28/03 09:50 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
Marty Online   happy
a comment i received...
======
I should have explained (I thought everyone already knew) that the lobster
for this
pilot project came from existing stocks taken during the legal lobster season.

The lobster season will still be closed for all fisherman as always.

The stocks for the participants were purchased in advance and tagged and
stored for
only that use. These are checked by the fisheries officials and well as
the stocks in
the restaurants.

These same lobster tails would have been exported otherwise. No extra
lobster was
caught, and I am sure that the people pushing this project would not have
had it any
other way.

I know from personal knowledge that there was no favoritism playing in this
project,
indeed a lot of convincing over a period of about two years by parties who
believed
that the time was right to try this.

#65474 - 03/28/03 10:13 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
ChrisW Offline
I would never board any plane that a lobster was flying...

#65475 - 03/28/03 10:24 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
Debbie Offline
So basically it's frozen during lobster season, and held until it's over? so the lobster is just not fresh...... right?
Debbie

#65476 - 03/28/03 11:24 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
seashell Offline
The part I'm having trouble with, is believing that there won't be any more lobster taken "in season" to cover off the "out of season" lobster. It would seem to me that the fishermen make more from the export market than the at home market regardless of whether they will be frozen for longer or eaten right away.

#65477 - 03/28/03 11:46 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
Marty Online   happy
FISHERIES OFFICIAL RESPONDS TO CONCERNS
Earlier this week villagers from coastal fisheries communities called Love FM's Morning Show protesting what they call the illegal sale of lobster during closed season. Love FM spoke with officials from the Fisheries Department who explained the details of the closed season lobster consumption project. James Esueto, Coordinator of the Ecosystems Management Unit of the Fisheries Department explains.

JAMES ESUETO:"I think the problem arises in that people have a lot of misinformation. This project was in the making for over two months before the season closed and one of the conditions was that members of the Belize Hotel Association would purchase the lobster before the season closed and then they would be distributing it to the hotels very closely monitored as they use the lobster during the closed season. In the Memorandum of Understanding there is a lot of commitment from the Belize Hotel Association because if any member violates the terms of agreement in the Memorandum of Understanding the project would be terminated immediately."

Esueto explained that any breech of the project would include a $5,000.00 fine against the Hotel Association. He elaborates on the agreement between the Fisheries Department and the Belize Hotel Association.

JAMES ESUETO:"That's right the lobster has to be bought before the closed season and also the whole membership was entitled to participate there was about 150 hotels and restaurants that were anxious to get into the programme but in the end it boiled down to 12 members. What we do we send our people to check on them every week and we tabulate how much lobster tails they have and we compare to how much pounds they have taken out from the bulk that was originally purchased and in case we find out they haven't out any lobster for this week and they have more lobster tails than they have last week then that means that they are in violation."

Officials from the Fisheries Department monitor lobster consumption at the different restaurants randomly on a weekly basis. Restaurants bought varying amounts from one hundred pounds to five hundred pounds. Twelve registered hotels bought some 2,800 pounds of lobster tails. According to the weekly Lobster Consumption Monitoring Project, three of the twelve hotels have finished their stock of lobster. They include Victoria House, Journey's End Resort and Rum Point Inn and cannot purchase or sell lobster products for the rest of the closed season. Esueto is seeking the assistance of the public in reporting illegal fishing or sales of lobster products during the closed season that lasts until June 14th.

#65478 - 03/29/03 04:28 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
Marie Offline
Hi Marty! Just a quick question, much as I love lobster, won't more catches prior to the deadline still negate the idea of conservation? Or, has the lobster population regained sufficiently to make it sustainable? Thank you.

#65479 - 03/29/03 06:50 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
bywarren Offline
Marie: this program has no effect on the amount of lobster harvested. There is no quota on the amount that can be harvested. The only restrictions are the size and the dates of the season, June 15 - Feb 15. The lobster in question would be lobster that would be exported if not used in this program. It is unfortunate that someone in the US or Europe can eat Belizean lobster between Feb and June, but tourists cannot eat it in Belize because some fishermen and restaurants do not care enough to obey the laws. Just another example of short term greed. frown

PS: let's not be too ctitical of these fishermen and restaurants. They are probably just like some on this board, they know best what laws need to be broken. :p

#65480 - 03/29/03 07:07 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
Marie Offline
Thank you bywarren. As I said, my question was, does it negate the conservation issue. If it does not, then that is a great thing.

#65481 - 03/29/03 07:25 PM Re: Lobster Pilot Project Raises Concern
bywarren Offline
One of the major faults with the program and one that I think actually defeats the purpose and will in effect be a conservation issue and cause the program to fail is the price. Restaurants pay about $20 Belize to buy from the fishermen durning the season. The price under the program is about $33 Belize ( those are per pound prices ). This, in effect, makes the "black market" and the illegal harvesting and selling the lobster more attractive.

I guess this is the way the Belize Goverment and Tourist Board look at it. Let's spend alot of money to advertise to get tourists to come to Belize. But if they want to eat Belize lobster between Feb 15 and June 15, they need to stay home and eat it or maybe we will let them have it here for 60% increase in cost. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (RedRover, Marty), 43 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,057 Topics
462,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.