Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65594 03/30/03 11:44 AM
molly Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband and I are heading to Belize April 13 smile smile smile
We are avid snorklers and are looking for the best places to see. Trying to stay away from the worst of the crowds. Any advice is welcome!!

Also - suggestions on tours up to the ruins/rainforest would be appreciated as well.

Thanks all!!!!

#65595 03/30/03 12:14 PM
Originally posted by molly:
My husband and I are heading to Belize April 13 smile smile smile
We are avid snorklers and are looking for the best places to see. Trying to stay away from the worst of the crowds. Any advice is welcome!!

Also - suggestions on tours up to the ruins/rainforset would be appreciated as well.

Thanks all!!!!
We love Mexican Rocks on the way going towards the Mexican border. There are beautiful walls of brain coral, stag horn, elk horn etc. Usually, there is no on else there. My friend Geraldo Badillo has a sailboat, which is very peaceful. But of course there are several good guides on the isle. Altun Ha, the Mayan ruins on the old northern road about 30 miles north from Belize city. The ruins are surrounded of tropical forest. There is a blue cenote, or a deep pond on the side of the main temple. It is one of my favorite place in central america. we use to live 1.5 miles from the site, so we spent quite abit of time there. Then if you like fishing you and your husband are in luck !, i love fishing on the flats using a light fly-rod or a light spinning rod. In the early morning away from the town of San pedro, it is very serene. Have a great trip, Mel S......

Mel Sinderman
#65596 03/30/03 04:02 PM
T
T
Snorkle at Mexico Rocks! See ruins at Lamanai !Go on a Sunday when you can climb up the main temple[They're working on it the other days].

#65597 03/30/03 07:45 PM
T
T
Molly, how much do you want to avoid crowds and how "far out" (away from land)can you/do you want to go? How experienced a swimmer and snorkeler are you? Knowing this would help me to give you a good answer!! laugh

#65598 03/30/03 10:57 PM
D
D
Molly:
I also would recommend Sailing and snorkeling
to Mexico Rocks with Capt Geraldo and 1st mate Justo on the El Gato. I would go to Lamani this
is a boat ride up the New River to the Mayan site.
It is the best and most interesting.
Check it out.
Big Dave :p

#65599 03/30/03 11:49 PM
molly Offline OP
OP Offline
trina,

We are both strong swimmers and we are more than happy to travel a bit for good snorkeling. All day trips would be fine as long as lunch is involved and a cold beer or two for the ride home!

Thanks for all the replies - we will definitely visit Mexico rocks, Lamanai, and maybe Altun Ha time permitting.

#65600 03/31/03 12:21 AM
Molly,

I have to agree that Mexico Rocks is by far the best snorkling. There are no big crowds and the area is filled with beautiful corals and fish. I would take along one of those underwater box cameras. I am a diver and truly enjoyed this snorkle site.

--Hey Jude

#65601 03/31/03 08:32 AM
C
C
Molly, I too would recomend Mexico rocks and also Tres Cocos. It is on the way to Mexico Rocks and also a very good site. Shallow but we saw nurse sharks,stingray,eagle ray and many different fish.
Enjoy your trip!

#65602 03/31/03 11:51 AM
Hi, just returned from my first trip San Pedro on the 21st. (It was the best week of my life,I am hooked!) The guided snorkle at Mexico Rocks and the drift snorkle at Tres Cocos was one of my favorite things we did. The reef formations and variety of sea life was amazing (Manta Rays, reef squid and hundreds of different beautiful fish.) It was a calm sunny day and the water was crystal clear. Jeffrey from Searious adventures took us and one other couple on a Monday morning. Jeffrey was wonderful and very informed about the wild life.

#65603 04/01/03 03:40 PM
T
T
I have been to most of the snorkling spots around San Pedro..Mexico Rocks, Shark Ray Alley, and then further out to Blue Hole and Half Moon Caye. I have to say that the further out away from "civilization" (don't you love that word?) laugh you are, the more healthy coral and fish you're going to see. There's just less crowds and noise, so the wildlife undersea is more plentiful. It's a bit of a trip though...to Blue Hole that is...about 2 hrs. each way from San Pedro. There was a yummy barbecue on Half Moon Caye, and beer n stuff! :p That's been my observation...been to Belize three times and love it!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.