Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#65739 - 04/04/03 05:57 AM Two Single Guys - Take II
Daylon Offline
Thanks so much for all the help and pointers for making my first trip to Belize a success.. (esp Seashell!)

Okay...looks like it'll be Steve and Becky's.. (Or Ramon's? WHat's the difference between the two? Anything to make you pick one over the other?)

Also noticed that May is prime month for Tarpon fishing!! (bonus!)

Blue Hole dive looks like a must do, I'll take your suggestions and go with Amigos Del Mar for the scuba angle...

I'm sure we can fill up the other two days somehow. ;-)

Welpers..only thing to do now is find my diving certification card...

We'll be down there May 14th-18.. and if any of ya are down there when we are, the first drink is on me.

Thanks again!

Daylon

#65740 - 04/04/03 06:23 AM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
Bonita Offline
Steve and Becky's is across the street from Ramon's and is made up of cottages. They are owned by Ramon's so you get to use the pool and beach and charge your drinks from the Purple Parrot to your room. Steve and Becky's isn't on the beach but the rooms are cheaper. The units at Ramon's are thatch and a little more expensive but you don't have to cross the street to get to the beach. I've stayed at both and really enjoyed both times. We met tons of very fun very interesting people while staying there and the staff is great. There are websites for both places on this sight under lodgings. And you can check out my pics at: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4093829
Enjoy!

#65741 - 04/04/03 09:56 AM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
seashell Offline
Wow, thanks Daylon . . .but I gotta tellya . . .I don't think you should stay at Steve and Becky's.

Not your first time anyway.

#65742 - 04/04/03 04:56 PM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
mobunny Offline
Hi, We stayed at Ramon's for our first time in San Pedro just this March. We had a beachfront cabana. It was amazing. The staff was very very friendly and helpful (We love you Tony!) The grounds are beautiful. Lush vegetation and flowers everywhere. The pool is like a jungle paradise. Our little front porch was literally 25 feet from the water and framed in palms. I would lie in bed at night and look out my window to the moonlit ocean. It was just an incredible experience. All the tours will pick you up at the pier. If you snorkle, there are hundreds of fish at the artifical reef athe end of the pier. The location is convenient to everything. We both loved staying there and when we go back next year we will stay there again.

#65743 - 04/04/03 07:42 PM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
kayesscee Offline
I'll be here, Daylon. I'll have a rum and Coke light. Thanks. wink

#65744 - 04/04/03 08:16 PM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
Islenutt Offline
I have to agree with Seashell about Steve & Becky's. Although it is very nice, I think for the money you can do better. Being able to use Ramon's pool was a plus, but several places have pools and are just as nice for less.
After exploring places last year (we only had a few days on AC) I chose Banana Beach for my trip this year. I like the location, not right in town but still close, and the pool looks great. We also walked around Caribe Island and liked it.

And now for the drink order cool Jackie swears I will get hooked on her favorite Banana Coladas so I better have one of those!

#65745 - 04/04/03 08:28 PM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
Debbie Offline
Caribe Island is AWESOME. No doubt about it. It has EVERYTHING you could possibly want and more. You wouldn't be disappointed here..

#65746 - 04/05/03 04:10 AM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
seashell Offline
I like Caribe Island too but I think it is a bit far for them to stumble home to at the end of an evening.

#65747 - 04/06/03 12:50 AM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
Daylon Offline
I think you've convinced me, Seashell... I think for the first trip being 'on the beach' is probably a must...

Soo...Bannana Beach or Ramon's? Sorry to keep bugging you guys about this...

Are they both close to town? nightlife? all that good stuff? Pros / cons?

I'll probably make my reservations in a week or so.. should I reserve spots for Tarpon fishing / blue hole dives in advance as well?

Amigos del Mar for the Blue Hole dive definately... any recommendations for some serious fishing guides? I've never been deep-sea fishing before...my buddy says it's like the lottery, some days, WOW, most you get nada.

Thanks again!

Daylon

#65748 - 04/06/03 01:36 AM Re: Two Single Guys - Take II
seashell Offline
I don't usually recommend Ramon's because I think they are too pricey for the rooms but the location, grounds and dock are hard to beat, so probably just what you guys want for *this* trip. Make sure that you don't get put in the garden rooms in the back of the property. If you do, you almost might as well have been at Steve and Becky's.

Banana's is a pretty nice place but I don't think it's got what you guys are after on this trip and it's a jaunt to the south.

Book Ramon's and don't look back. While you are there, if you have the time, take a golf cart and do a tour of some of the other resorts in anticipation of your next trip down. So make a list of the places you'd like to see, Coconuts, Banana's, Banyan Bay, Caribe Island, Mata's, Paradise Villas, Belize Yacht Club, etc., etc. Have a drink at each place, make notes on your list in case you have too many drinks. wink

Oh, and while you are at Ramon's you can easily take a look at the Palms and Belizean Reef for your next trip too. Those hotels give you the same locale, as well as easy access to the beach and dock at Ramon's.

You shouldn't need to book your diving *before* you go, but when you arrive, go to Ramon's dive shop and see if they use Amigo's for the Blue Hole trip. Get the lay of the land, as it were, as to what you need to do to get set up for diving with them. If they do use Amigos for the Blue Hole trip, you might be better off just to use Ramon's dive shop. Though I still like Amigo's better, you guys are going to be right at Ramon's and aren't diving every day. That slight convenience might offset the difference between the two operations.

The boats return to the home dock between dives on the two tank dives and so sometimes it is nice to be able to run up to your room and get something you forgot or do some business. You'd be able to do that from Ramon's dive op but if you were diving Amigo's, then you'd be hanging at their dock instead and doing your business at Cholo's. Amigo's will still drop you off at your dock after your diving is done for the day. You don't have to walk down to the shop in the morning or back after diving.

Do book your Blue Hole trip the evening you arrive. Amigo's boat doesn't go to the Blue Hole every day and the trips can fill up fast as the trip approaches.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.