Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#66060 - 04/08/03 02:36 AM Notta Trip Report
dbdoberman Offline
I'm back! what a great time I had - I will do a trip report later. I was reading Liz's trip report (no wonder I didn't meet you Liz! glad the wedding went off without a hitch - think I saw you at Maya Air flying out, but was too pooped to introduce myself, stayed up until 3AM that last nite)

My experience at Playa Blanca was the opposite of Liz's. I was greeted promptly at Maya Air by the lovely Nubia, and Andy the divemaster. Realizing that the other couple staying at PB would be on a flight arriving soon, I was taken to Cholo's to wait....ahhhhh, my first cold belikin! Met Shlomo (the chef) and loved his colorful character. The other couple arrived, and off we went to PB. Loved the boat ride. Gaz was away at a dive show, so Andy showed me to my quarters, and gave me an orientation. I meet Lucy, the super friendly housekeeper, Manny - guide in training, and Oscar, also in training. These folks made me feel at home immediately. I didn't want a phone - I was taking a vacation from phones, and knew if there was an emergency, I could get to one, or the internet. The grounds were beautiful, my casita was great! The problem with the water was taken care of, so I didn't experience the no water thing. New pump, etc. These things happen, to a homeowner, to a resort owner.

Gaz never said he had the pool in, in fact in an email, he explained to me that the hole was dug, but the pool HAD NOT been installed. Don't think I ever saw one of his advertisements saying otherwise. The north end is quiet, very tranquil, just the place for late night star gazing, or early morning coffee. There is alot of vacant land, and construction a bit further north, so there was debris - but not on PB property. Hora the groundskeeper - and I probably mispelled his name - took great pride in keeping the grounds immaculate. Walking the path north however, there is some trash, sure - it's on the windward side. I am the nosey type who actually looks at what has blown in, so no problem. This place is advertised, and is primarily, a diver's lodge. I didn't go to knock myself out diving, and PB still worked for me. I had a few rides to SP or back with staff, or when divers were going that way, or I used the ferry. I already knew it was some distance from SP, but after doing the research, that was my choice. I enjoyed each boatride - saw something new every time. PB is still a somewhat new resort, and there may be a few bugs to iron out, but they were not evident to me. Swimming was very possible at the end of the dock - clear water there, as at most places on AC. PB is small and intimate, I told Gaz upon his return it did feel like family. He and his staff made it that way. The meals are great! Good food and lots of it.

I will do a trip report when I can, I just wanted to post my viewpoint of PB. I think it is very good that folks have so many choices of where to stay. PB wasn't for Liz, but was exactly right for me. I would recommend it, and intend to go back myself.

WHOOOOOEEEEEEE!!!! Did I ever fall in love with AC! Trip report to follow.

#66061 - 04/08/03 02:41 AM Re: Notta Trip Report
klcman Offline
WELCOME BACK DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBIE - gLAD YA HAD A GREAT TRIP!

#66062 - 04/08/03 03:05 AM Re: Notta Trip Report
o jackie Offline
Duh, I missed this post, okay, lets see who posts there pictures first? DB,KLC or ME... Hmmm... Glad you enjoyed yourself and made it home to this lovely weather we are having now.

#66063 - 04/08/03 03:14 AM Re: Notta Trip Report
klcman Offline
<<<<<packs up film, puts by door where he will trip over it on way out in AM>>>>>

#66064 - 04/08/03 03:16 AM Re: Notta Trip Report
o jackie Offline
Becareful, watch that trippin, you might get more than you bargained for. Like me!!!!! laugh

#66065 - 04/08/03 03:18 AM Re: Notta Trip Report
klcman Offline
no chit - mebbe i should just go put in the car now laugh

#66066 - 04/08/03 04:18 AM Re: Notta Trip Report
Chloe Offline
I want to think the grounds keeper is my good buddy Jorge (Hora). Spent three part days with him last year, out at Basil Jones, he is a wonderful spiritual man.

#66067 - 04/08/03 01:14 PM Re: Notta Trip Report
dbdoberman Offline
Chloe, that does seem like the guy, he made a point to remember names - wish I had gotten his correct. Leave it to me to mangle spelling in any language. wink

Jackie and klc, thanks for the welcome home, and Jackie - this weather seems to follow me wherever I go. I left AC on Saturday, and the weather had definitely improved. Went to visit a friend in Dallas for a couple nights - WOW, what a storm Saturday night. Then home to 39 degrees, and me in my shorts. Needless to say, I didn't have the opportunity to wear my thong laugh

#66068 - 04/08/03 01:28 PM Re: Notta Trip Report
o jackie Offline
Well sorry to hear that was not what scared Satan off(thong), it musta not been chicken, then.Yuk!!!

It should get warmer some day!!! I am not even waiting for it anymore. I did the short thing when I came home in January, burrr.

I am glad that you had a great time and that you will be back.

Jackie

#66069 - 04/09/03 08:10 PM Re: Notta Trip Report
o jackie Offline
Did you take the pictures in either one of you???

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.