Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66200 04/09/03 10:38 AM
OP Offline
I READ A POSTING ABOUT CROC'S IN THE AREA, IS THERE A CROC POPULATION AROUND AC ? WHAT AREAS ?
THANKS FOR THE TIPS ON THE DIVE PLACES, ALSO WHATS THE BEST WAY INTO THE MAINLAND? ANY TATTOO SHOPS AT AC ? MY SON AND I USUALLY PICK UP A NEW PIECE OF WORK ON OUR TRIPS, OH, AND A NEW PAIR OF EXOTIC BOOTS, WHAT ARE THE SHOPS LIKE ON AC ? OR COULD I FIND MORE OF A VARIETY ON THE MAINLAND ?

#66201 04/09/03 12:39 PM
Crocs are only found in the swampy back areas. They are not really in the populated areas. There's not a huge population, but a few. As for tatts, I can't help you. There was some buzz on this board a while back about someone opening a new shop, but I haven't heard a confirmation. I don't think you'll find any decent boot on AC. Better try the mainland.

#66202 04/09/03 01:03 PM
I don't think you will find any exotic boots on the mainland either. It's not a boot type place. But I can hook you up with custom made jungle hiking sandals...

#66203 04/09/03 01:37 PM
We saw the big croc around dusk on the lagoon side just south of Banana Beach about a 1/4 mile where there is a little area that juts out to the left of the road. Someone had bought some raw chicken and tossed it to the waters edge and the big guy came out and ate it.. pretty wild! First time I have seen a Saltwater Crocodile (though my other half insisted it was a gator I was happy to prove him wrong..lol!)

Croc Picture

Dunno bout the boots and stuff, only sandals were on my feet in AC!

Andrea in Atlanta

Andrea in Atlanta
#66204 04/09/03 05:11 PM
S
S
Hate to be a party pooper but DO NOT FEED THE CROCS! It only serves to acclimatize them to people, removes their natural fear and when they become a hazard or eat someone's dog they end up dead.

I spent 2 years back in the bush, living and working with Croc researchers at Lamanai and have a great love and respect for these animals and would hate to see them being killed or removed from the area, it was theirs first.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.

No commercial tat shops by the way, you may be able to hook up with a kitchen table job if you ask around.

Cheers,

Simon....

#66205 04/09/03 05:20 PM
Here's my rant Simon...

Go ahead, keep feeding the crocs. Acclimatise them to humans. Primitive beasts like that will take one sooner or later when that piece of raw chicken fails to turn up.

I myself have been lately wondering what tourists taste like. cool

#66206 04/09/03 05:33 PM
good point, Simon. I didn't have any luck anyway.

Many of the San Pedranos call them alligators as well, SeaIsleGal - so he might have heard it from them, although they are saltwater crocs. You sure don't see the locals standing there in the evening trying to feed the crocs. I was warned by two locals that they are dangerous, don't stand close to the water! I was amazed at the number of small kids left to run around the shoreline, throwing in rocks. I just wanted a glimpse of Satan. Thanks for that pic, Gal, that's the closest I am going to get to seeing one. Didn't see any on my trip to Lamanai either. Too much boat traffic, I was told. Sad for the crocs.

Alux, maybe the crocs have better taste than that.... wink

#66207 04/09/03 05:38 PM
K
K
The croc's inhabit the lagoons on the back side of AC and wet spots and lagoons on most of the other islands. They have not been a danger to humans that I know of to date, but that could change. I know they have eaten a few dogs in the past and that caused the locals to trap and relocate them. I have not heard from anyone that they have ever been killed for eating the dogs.

When we were there last year and the year before, there was a ten footer in the lagoon by the water plant. We fed it some chicken and some of the road kill land crabs. It was pretty shy, and would only come out on the land a few feet, and only if everyone stayed way back.

I think they should fence off a big chunk of the lagoon and feed the croc. It would be great for tourism, and would enhance the knowledge and hopefully the appreciation of these wonderful and amazing creatures. I know they have crocs on Caye Caulker and on Caye Chappel, and of course on the mainland, so I think you could assume they are pretty much everywhere.

#66208 04/09/03 05:50 PM
I did have somebody tell me that a lady was chased by one, don't know if that was true or not.

kailani, that wouldn't be a bad idea for those crocs already acclimated - would it Simon? Somebody else said something along those lines to me. By the amount of tourists who showed up the 3 evenings I went, there definitely is an interest.

#66209 04/09/03 06:13 PM
man, dobie, 3 times and ya never found that 6 pack?????

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.