Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#66592 - 04/15/03 02:20 AM innoculations needed or recommended?
booboo Offline
Hi all, I've been given conflicting info by several people, some of them professionals. I've been told everything from just a shot of Jack at the airport to Tetanus, Hep A, and Thyphoid. Does anybody out there know for sure? I'd really rather not spend the bucks on all these shots if they're really not needed. If some one out there can speak with authority I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks, BooBoo

#66593 - 04/15/03 02:48 AM Re: innoculations needed or recommended?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I don't speak with medical authority, but I have been banging around Belize for a dozen years and have written a half dozen books on Belize.

If you are just going to Ambergris Caye, with perhaps a short day trip to the mainland for cave tubing or to see a ruin, as a practical matter you don't need any special sticks or precautions. Healthwise, it's about the same as going to Tampa or Orlando.

If you are going to be spending weeks in remote areas of the mainland, you probably should take some precautions, mainly malaria prophylaxis.

These days, it makes sense for anybody, traveler or not, to be up to date on routine shots such as tetanus and Tet A & B. Typhoid in my lay opinion is not needed and in any case isn't very effective.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

#66594 - 04/15/03 02:48 AM Re: innoculations needed or recommended?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I don't speak with medical authority, but I have been banging around Belize for a dozen years and have written a half dozen books on Belize.

If you are just going to Ambergris Caye, with perhaps a short day trip to the mainland for cave tubing or to see a ruin, as a practical matter you don't need any special sticks or precautions. Healthwise, it's about the same as going to Tampa or Orlando.

If you are going to be spending weeks in remote areas of the mainland, you probably should take some precautions, mainly malaria prophylaxis.

These days, it makes sense for anybody, traveler or not, to be up to date on routine shots such as tetanus and Tet A & B. Typhoid in my lay opinion is not needed and in any case isn't very effective.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

#66595 - 04/15/03 02:49 AM Re: innoculations needed or recommended?
klcman Offline
not an "authority" - too huimble for that :-)

however, common sense would suggest that you keep your Hep & Tet upo to date - no matter where you are

#66596 - 04/16/03 12:32 AM Re: innoculations needed or recommended?
booboo Offline
Thanks for the good info to you both.

BooBoo

#66597 - 04/16/03 12:59 PM Re: innoculations needed or recommended?
Marie Offline
Depending upon where you live, if you are near an even moderately sizeable city (like my Akron, Ohio - not that big), they will have a public health department where the shots really are dirt cheap. You are very safe in Belize, but it never hurts, especially if you are an adventurous eater (and that's half the fun!), to have some of the others. The health department will tell you what they currently recommend. I have had them all, and it is really not expensive. I travel a lot to Central America and South America, so was more cautious than you will need to be. Again, you won't probably need to be worried in Belize. But you know the old saying...."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" depending upon where you finally decide to visit in Belize. I wouldn't worry a bit if it were just Ambergris, and hardly worry anywhere else.

#66598 - 04/16/03 02:28 PM Re: innoculations needed or recommended?
Debbie Offline
Ditto on the tetnus and the Hep. A & B. Even if you're not traveling, it is wise to get these. these nasties are possible even in the good ole U. S. of A. The Hep is even required for kids to attend school now......

#66599 - 04/17/03 01:09 AM Re: innoculations needed or recommended?
booboo Offline
Thanks all, We are only going to be on Ambergris, unless we have a sudden change of plans which is always possible. We are going to get Hep A and Tetanus just to be on the safe side. BooBoo

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (katzgar, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,206 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.