Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66781 04/15/03 08:08 PM
OP Offline
Day 5

More morning dives, Love Tunnels and Happy Hour sites. Both had loggerhead turtles, eagle rays, and groupers. I loved the formations at these sites. Some of the swells are now 10 ft. Maybe that's not pushing the envelope for some, but it was enough for me. What an adrenaline rush, in those big breaking waves, trying to find the cut to get back through the reef. Andy is that good. Wednesday evening found me back in SP. Went to check on Satan, still a no show. I enjoyed dinner at Jambel Jerk - which ended up being my favorite place. Next I went to the chicken drop, didn't win, but had a super time. Linda Carter, who runs the chicken drop, is so very funny. After that, I had time to browse a few shops before catching Category 7 at Fido's. What a great band! Enjoyed the tunes and good vibes of the crowd, but I had to leave early, the Blue Hole trip was the next morning. Waiting to catch a ride with Andy, I talked to two guys who had come up after a dive that day and.....no boat. The boat motor had quit, and the boat drifted away. Over an hour later, a swedish couple in a sailboat picked them up. What an exciting tale to be able to tell, and how lucky they are to be around to tell it.

Day 6

I was waiting on the dock for the 5:30 am pickup by Amigos Del Mar. Picked up others along the way, and saw thimble jellyfish at Journeys End dock, the only signs of pica pica during my stay. Once at Amigos Del Mar dock, we transferred to their very nice 48 ft. boat, and along with 17 others, began the long trip. The weather still did not want to cooperate, but it was a great group, no complainers. I enjoyed viewing Caye Caulker and Turneffe from the water. Finally, we arrived at the Blue Hole, and after a very detailed briefing, the crew did a great job getting everybody into the water. For the dive, we were split into two groups, each having a DM leading, and one bringing up the rear. Even with a caution to watch our depth, I looked at my gauge at one point, I found myself at 140 feet. If you do this dive, pay close attention, this was so easy to do. I was awed by the stalactites, and wish we could have had more time down there, but we soon headed back up to 40 feet, and it was time for the sharks.

I knew they were probably there, but had totally forgotten about them. They were provided a little snack (not a diver), and came fairly close in. This happened quickly, but I think there were two reef and one bull shark. The viz was not that good, and as they zoomed in out of the gloom, it was very surreal. They left as quickly as they had appeared, back into the murk.

[Linked Image]

Back onboard, I heard comments ranging from "unbelievable" to "wasn't worth it".
If you stop to consider how amazing it is to dive such a geological wonder, a cave not completely collapsed, forming an almost perfect circle, those amazing stalactites, it should seem incredible. We headed to our next dive site.
The DM during his briefing only called it "Long Caye Wall", never naming the specific site. It was a great dive. Fish, critters, corals, sponges, many of the things that I had not seen diving around AC. The viz was a vast improvement over my previous dives.

Time for our long surface interval, and more importantly LUNCH! We arrived at Half Moon Caye, an enchanting island. The lunch was very good, and appreciated by all. A group of us did the nature walk to see the booby birds. The floor of the preserve is alive with hermit crabs, some of the largest I had ever seen, huge termite nests, and the occasional frigate or booby along the way. At the end of the path is an observation platform. Climbing up brings you to treetop level, with a view of countless boobys/boobies? (don't get excited men), frigates, and sizable iguanas. Time to climb down and get back onboard to do the last dive. I had asked our DM if we would be diving the Aquarium - the dive that many boarders say is one of the best. He said they would check out the viz, but probably we would, as it is normally the third dive. In just a very short time, we arrived at a site that I don't know the name of, and was told we would enjoy a drift dive from there and end up at the Aquarium. YES! If the last dive was a great dive, this one was a superduper, humdinger of a dive. Great schools of fish, eels, groupers, lobsters, turtles, corals, sponges, and much, much more - a superior wall dive. My only complaint is that we were not allowed to dive our own profile. I understand keeping us bunched up for the Blue Hole dive, it is a potentially dangerous dive, but there was absolutely no flexibility on the two wall dives. Other than that, diving with Amigos Del Mar was effortless diving. They made it easy. Everyone was happy with that dive, and the whole day gave us plenty to discuss on the long trip back to AC. The post dive belikins and snickers were a big hit as well. I arrived back at PB for another fantastic dinner, and was out like a light soon after.

What a great day, if you have time, do this one!

to be continued.......

#66782 04/15/03 08:25 PM
Great, keep it up. I look forward to a good read.
Thanks for sharing. smile

#66783 04/15/03 08:35 PM
Awesome dude....mebbe ya got a new career ahead of ya here

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#66784 04/15/03 09:02 PM
Dob worth waiting for you to post.

Dare To Deviate
#66785 04/15/03 09:10 PM
DB..your so right about tracking depth..I flared at 157' with the lower DM...stayed right with him...LOVED IT!
My dive computer went nuts...we almost ended up in deco...so we waited at 30 feet, then 15' for a while...the rest were waiting for us..all blissed out.
Great picture...god I can't WAIT!!!!!
I'm so pumped!!!

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#66786 04/16/03 12:04 AM
db, db!! I'm so excited. You've caught my sentiments for the Blue Hole almost exactly!!

I'm a bit surprised though about what you said regarding the required profile on the two follow-up dives. I think that must just have been because the DM's were not familiar with your abilities. There's never been too much problem with me diving my own profile. They've only asked that I ensure that they can see my bubbles.

Hmm, thinking about this though, I suspect that I wouldn't be accorded that if I'd never been diving with them before.

And now I can't wait for Part III. Ya big tease.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#66787 04/16/03 05:10 AM
OP Offline
Thanks all. I wish I was there to do it all over again! With better weather, of course.

klc, I am looking forward to being a cabanna boy.
wink that's my future career.

Soon Axe, SOON!!!!!! Enjoy it! smile

SS, it was definitely worth the trip for me. I am looking forward to more atoll diving. Nobody was allowed to dive their own profiles, DMs and instructors among us. You made me think though, perhaps if there were enough newly certified divers with us, maybe it was easier for Amigos to keep us all together. It would have been easy enough , to mention during the briefing that all newlywets were to stay with the DM. It was a great dive, don't get me wrong, but we were all treated like newbies. You may be right, how would they know everyone's abilities. I am sure that it is different diving with them around AC. I appreciated their knowledge and operation though, and would recommend them to everyone. That boat is another good reason to go with them.

#66788 04/16/03 05:22 AM
O
O
There are places really called the Love Tunnels and Happy Hour? Never heard of it. Well, I guess cuz I dont dive.

#66789 04/16/03 06:05 PM
sounds "exotic" huh Jackie wink

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#66790 04/17/03 02:53 AM
Love Tunnels got its name when a young couple many years ago got married in the entrance to the Huge Tunnel and it was aptly named Love Tunnels for that reason.

Happy Hours reef is a really beautiful divesite with lots of Tube sponges tons of small tropicals and vibrant colors. (one of my favorite sites)

Not often dove by operations in town as it is well North of San pedro.

Glad you had a good time Darrel hope to see you again

All the best

Gaz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.