Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67060 - 04/22/03 06:39 PM Blue Hole
travelbum24 Offline
Was wondering about the experience needed
for diving the blue hole. I just received
my cert this past Sept in Cabo and I really
would like to dive the BH.
Any suggestions? Also My friend is a non-diver
is there any place that we can both dive/snorkel
at the same place?

#67061 - 04/23/03 01:03 AM Re: Blue Hole
Anonymous
Throw out the C-card and the required cash and you’re good to go. Not much experience is required, it’s the CA$H that counts…

#67062 - 04/23/03 05:26 PM Re: Blue Hole
seashell Offline
I don't recommend the Blue Hole trip to inexperienced divers. Please note the sarcasm in Idaho's post. Yes, there will be operators willing to take you if you wish to go. However, *you* should not waste your money on it at this point. It is deep, it is dark and it is scary for a newbie. You will be paying a lot of money for not much.

Once you are much more experienced and comfortable diving, then do the Blue Hole, you will find that you will enjoy it a great deal more, you'll see a lot more and it will have been money well spent.

#67063 - 04/23/03 05:37 PM Re: Blue Hole
Marty Offline
i agree totally. get some experience first. i really enjoyed snorkeling the blue hole as the divers went down, that was a few years ago before i got a few dives under my belt.

I have 50+ dives in now, and i still won't dive the blue hole. i'm sure i COULD, but i'd rather be totally comfortable and very experienced first. things can and do go wrong occasionally.

#67064 - 04/23/03 05:56 PM Re: Blue Hole
River Shark Offline
Well put Seashell & Marty,
It never ceases to amaze me how dive operators will take newbies or anyone else who is not certified to go below the 60' level to do a deep, or dangerous dive.

Now I have only read about the Blue Hole - about the depth, the sharks and the cavern type atmosphere with limited overhead access to the surface.
While I have advanced open water and nitrox certification and around 60 dives under my belt, I find the dive information on the Blue Hole to be a little intimidating.

There have been some very experienced divers who have not returned from this dive (NEVER FOUND THE BODIES). An encounter with wild life can cause a "newbie" (or anyone) to panic and if they are put into a circumstance they have not been trained to deal with they may "doomed". Personally I don't want to be on a dive with anyone not qualified for the dve - it puts everyone in the group at risk.

Marty's right get some experience first, then get your advanced certification, then you won't have to ask about "the experience needed" - if you have to ask you shouldn't do it.

This is only my opinion - I COULD BE RIGHT!

The Shark

#67065 - 04/23/03 06:01 PM Re: Blue Hole
travelbum24 Offline
Thank you all for your replys. It made me think
ALOT !!!!
I will wait until I get more dives under my
belt. Hay Snorkel Will do. I can still say
I was in the BLUE HOLE !!!! Right.
Thanks again all !!!!

#67066 - 04/23/03 06:06 PM Re: Blue Hole
seashell Offline
I've been in the Blue Hole 6 times or something like that. The first time was pretty scary but thrilling none the less. I had around 50 dives or more at the time but did have my Advanced certificate. I have considerably more dives now. The last few times in the Hole have been the most enjoyable because I am so comfortable, have complete control over my bouyancy, am so comfortable in the water that I can look around and be amazed instead of just worrying about my skills.

#67067 - 04/24/03 05:19 AM Re: Blue Hole
Anonymous
Seashell, That was a bit sarcastic wasn’t it, and I meant it to be. For your info your most favorite dive shop ‘Amigos del Mar’ will take out a newbie that just finished their dive training, one who just got their C-card hot off the press machine. Fact is, we went out with several of them on our trip out to the BH, had to save one of them on a different dive because she run out of air at our safety stop. That dive only went down to 90’, can’t imagine what would have happened had we went to 140’. Also there is much more to deep diving than ‘controlling your buoyancy’ how about carefully monitoring your depth gauge/computer, spg, air consumption… have you ever noticed yourself being ‘narked’ out? Or have watched other people who are overtaken from nitrogen narcosis... But I tell you Seashell, it’s nice to see a few folks here will admit that the BH is not for a newbie…

#67068 - 04/24/03 06:47 AM Re: Blue Hole
seashell Offline
Yes, Idaho, I am aware that Amigos is as guilty as all the other operators in that regard. I have also reported here on this very board and more than once, my displeasure with that practice.

By the way, and as you well know, I am very aware that there is more to it than bouyancy control, however, I didn't feel that it was necessary to give the OW course here to make my point.

Fortunately, we have you with us for that. It is always such a pleasant addition to the board, when you deign to join us here. (how's that for sarcasm?)

#67069 - 04/24/03 01:42 PM Re: Blue Hole
Marty Offline
the snorkeling in the blue hole is really great. incredible diversity

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (CaptOneIron, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.