Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67323 04/24/03 07:30 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Marie,

I saw you are in the Akron, Ohio area. Where did you get your medications for travel at? We currently live in the Canton, Ohio area. Our family physician's office told us we needed to go to the clinic for travel medications, and our calls at the clinic keep getting us bumped around without ever reaching someone who can honestly answer what we need to do to get such medications here.

#67324 04/25/03 07:53 AM
M
M
Hi Tex! How the heck did you get from Texas to Canton? But, then, I lived in NYC for ten years, so there you are! I hope this will help you. It's very inexpensive, lines can be a bit long, but if you get in when they first open, its no problem. You'll save time if you make an early morning appointment for the shots. They open at 8:00-3:00. There's a parking deck right under them. Here you go:

Akron Health Department
177 South Broadway
Akron, Ohio 44308
330-375-2363

I checked this morning, and for Belize they are suggesting to make an appointment for shots. I have the full deal of shots because I travel all over Central and South America, but you won't need much, especially if you are staying in AC. If going into the "jungle" (not in the sense of the Amazon, believe me) might want more. They suggest Chloroquine for malaria (believe me, don't take Larium, some people have really bad reactions to it), Hepatitis A ($24x2) is good if you are an adventurous eater, Typhoid ($40) and Tetnus ($7).

Having said all that, unless you are very cautious, you can probably do without them all, especially on AC. But, that's their recommendations per their nurse this morning. Have a great trip! Marie

#67325 04/25/03 05:31 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Marie! Our coming to Canton has to do with jobs (in petroleum refining - to leave Texas for Ohio!). I'm starting to acclimatize a little, but I now understand why the winter rates are "high season" for tropical places. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and lived south of the San Antonio area for most of my life, so it's been an "adjustment".

We're conservative enough to go ahead and get the full spectrum of medicines - especially the Choloroquine. Thanks for the tips!

#67326 04/25/03 06:54 PM
M
M
Hi Tex! My Pleasure! Like I said, you probably don't need it, but then, as Mom always said, "better safe than sorry." Well, welcome to Ohio, and I'm sorry this was your first year, you poor devils. It was miserable. It was the worse in three or four years. You can see why I travel in February! But, Spring is wonderful here, so I hope you have warmed up by now! Have a good trip!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.