Next Thread
Print Thread
#67438 04/26/03 09:15 AM
B
Big Al Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi,

I will be coming to AC at end of July for the first time. I need some advice from any of you fly fishermen or guides. I have searched the AC fishing pages and this board and got very good information.

I would like uptodate info for the time of year I'm coming. Please suggest fly patterns and colors for bonefish, permit if they are around, and tarpon. Amount of weight to use in the fly also.

We also make our own leaders - suggestions here would be helpful as well.

We will be hiring guides to fish the flats both from boats and wading. Comments and suggestions welcome.

I would like to be able to access some flats wading areas that we can fish alone. We are staying about 1 1/2 mile south of town. Please suggest where to go and the best way to get there. Especially want to be wading at sunrise.

TIA...tight lines to ya,
Al :p

#67439 04/26/03 10:40 AM
M
M
There are many great guides who can help you out and take you fishing. Their names and contact information are listed on the web site under "Fishing". My favorite is Luis Caliz, who can be reached at 011-501-226-2785. Tell him "Doc" sent you.

#67440 04/26/03 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Big Al:
Hi,

I will be coming to AC at end of July for the first time. I need some advice from any of you fly fishermen or guides. [b]I have searched the AC fishing pages and this board and got very good information.

I would like uptodate info for the time of year I'm coming. Please suggest fly patterns and colors for bonefish, permit if they are around, and tarpon. Amount of weight to use in the fly also.

We also make our own leaders - suggestions here would be helpful as well.

We will be hiring guides to fish the flats both from boats and wading. Comments and suggestions welcome.

I would like to be able to access some flats wading areas that we can fish alone. We are staying about 1 1/2 mile south of town. Please suggest where to go and the best way to get there. Especially want to be wading at sunrise.

TIA...tight lines to ya,
Al :p [/b]
Hello, I am fellow fly-fishing fool too. I used to live down there, now we live in the states. We do go down to Mexico and Belize traveling and fishing. We bring down 6-7 weight rods, generally going for bonefish and reef fish. If your going for tarpon you may want to bring a 10 weight. Scientific Angler's Mastery serie for sinking bonefish taper is awesome. The 7 weight sinking line is very thin and made from a clear color. It sinks fast, and the taper is a wind-cutting forward weight, gives you a fighting chance punching a fly through the winds. Crazy-Charlies made with white chenille for the body, and flashabou or tinsel with white marabou is simple but deadly. Clousers number 10's or 8's with big black eyes are great. Just micro marabou jigs, or pro-lights, 1/60 onces, white, yellow, and chartruese are good choices. Yucatan crabs for permit can be good. If nothing else doesn't work, use a bright white jig, tipped with a strip of sardine or conch. We won't tell the Trout unlimited American members we used bait on a fly, but who cares, it's a differant lattitude, and a differant attitude ! Tight-Lines Dude, Mel.

Mel Sinderman
#67441 04/28/03 10:06 AM
B
Big Al Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mel-

Thanks for the good info. laugh Anything else specific you have time to impart would be appreciated.

Do you use guides at AC and if so, which ones?

Do you have any good spots on the Caye that you can reach on your own? (I release everything :-)

You mentioned reef fish - do you fly fish at the reef? I hadn't thought about that. Seems like you would tear up your lines on the coral. Or do you top water fish - that would be exciting! If so, what for and with what flies?

When do you go down? This is my first trip there but from what I hear, I will be coming back and maybe often.

I know what you mean about TU - some of my buddies pester me about even using nymphs on the Deleware River. Thye go dry only (and sometimes their catch is dry too!)

Thanks again.... Al
:p

#67442 04/28/03 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Big Al:
Mel-

Thanks for the good info. laugh Anything else specific you have time to impart would be appreciated.

Do you use guides at AC and if so, which ones?

Do you have any good spots on the Caye that you can reach on your own? (I release everything :-)

You mentioned reef fish - do you fly fish at the reef? I hadn't thought about that. Seems like you would tear up your lines on the coral. Or do you top water fish - that would be exciting! If so, what for and with what flies?

When do you go down? This is my first trip there but from what I hear, I will be coming back and maybe often.

I know what you mean about TU - some of my buddies pester me about even using nymphs on the Deleware River. Thye go dry only (and sometimes their catch is dry too!)

Thanks again.... Al
:p
We will be down there this early June. In the past we lived there. Then i had a small import/export for 5 years, so i went down there every 4-5 months. Now, I go when i can, except sept-oct., due to hurricane season. Hopefully, we will be coming down more often, maybe we will fish together. June we will fish with capt. jeff which is a wonderful gentleman ! Everyone has a favorite guide. Because of being old friends and have spent many hours on the water with geraldo badillo, justo, and tacho badillo, they are my all time favorite ! Of course, there are great san pedrano guides, most are actually very proffesional. Wow ! You have a good point about reef fishing with flyfishing gear. The coral could ruin your $ 65 flyline ! Most of the time on the reef we have used spinnfishing rods, using jigs tipped with sprat or sardines. The last trip I used my wife's old shakespeare 6 weight down in Placencia right off by heads of brain coral and the permit were awesome. The fly-line survrived and me too ! I enjoy tying flies, but the top water flies is too dificult at times. I buy them off e-bay these days. Skipping bugs are good, Cowen's silversides are good, and 1/100 once jigs tied with an abundant marabou material is great and stays just under the surface. You asked about the locations for wading into, I prefer the northern cut near el paso going through the back bay. Yeah, I am member of TU too. We fish alot in Bennet Springs near lebanon, Mo for rainbow. The real purist flyrodders are very fishless too it seems. I guess every fly-roder has their own ways of fishing and have gone through their own details and small ceremonies. i just think it's fun tricking a fish on a tippet. Best-wishes, Mel..........

Mel Sinderman

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.