Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#67882 - 05/05/03 10:28 AM Capt. Morgans
jennifay Offline
I've been reading this board for several months now in preparations for our first trip to Belize, and I have to say you guys are incredibly helpful. And just when I thought I had everything figured out, life happened and has forced us to change our plans....
We originally had planned to stay at Ramon's in August for 2 weeks-it looked great, had wonderful reviews and was within walking distance to town. However, due to changes in our financial situation, I think we'll have to use my parents' time share at Capt. Morgans (which was my original first choice). While I'm thrilled at the prospect of staying in Capt. Morgans, I'm concerned about getting back and forth from San Pedro in the evening. I understand the situation with the water taxis (which can get pricy according to the board) and the hand ferry, which apparently closes at approx 8PM. Some people indicate that you can walk to and from town-is this a problem at night? We are avid walkers, so I'm not really concerned about the distance, rather the feasibility of the walk back. Security would normally be an issue, but no one seems to mention any real problems with crime in Ambergris Caye.

So, I guess my question is, can you walk back to Capt. Morgans, particularly in the evening, from San Pedro with little or no difficulty, or are water taxis really your only choice? How big is the San Pedro River?

Sorry for the rambling, but thanks in advance for all your help.

#67883 - 05/05/03 10:39 AM Re: Capt. Morgans
Big Frank Offline
No, you can not walk back to north of the cut after the hand ferry stops for the day.

#67884 - 05/05/03 11:17 AM Re: Capt. Morgans
Chloe Offline
Well, here's an opportunity for some late night enterprising person, with small boat, to transport walkers across the cut from 8PM to 2AM, for a fee. Also providing a golfcart and bike parking lot on the northside of cut, for those late nighters.
Dare To Deviate

#67885 - 05/05/03 01:43 PM Re: Capt. Morgans
Diane Campbell Offline
Walking back is "possible" - if you include a bit of swimming (across the cut) and can successfully dodge crocodiles, swat mosquitoes and not break your legs tripping through potholes and over logs. Three miles is a long walk in such conditions.

#67886 - 05/05/03 02:30 PM Re: Capt. Morgans
jennifay Offline
thanks for the input. I think I'll avoid the crocs and go with the water taxi-hey we're on vacation we might as well live it up.

Booked two weeks late Aug-early Sept. any issues I should be forewarned of for that time of year, e.g. sandfleas, etc?

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (SFJeff, 1 invisible), 52 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,710 Topics
461,236 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.