Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lstyles Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am new to this board but I was wondering what it is like to take water taxi from Belize City to San Pedro and how much it costs. I know you can fly there too but my husband doesnt like small planes.

P
P
The water taxi is very pleasant. $25BZ per person, one way. It takes about an hour to get to San Pedro. Also, you need to take a taxi from the Belize City airport to the water taxi terminal in the city wich runs about $35BZ. So, as a budget option it's not very practical but it does keep you out of the tiny planes.

You should also concern yourself with timing.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

We did the water taxi. Saved about 1/2 the cost but not worth the hassle, to save so little. And when we got to the dock in San Pedro we had to haul our bags up to the street(bag don't wheel in the sand) find a taxi. If you fly in where ever you are staying will pick you up or a taxi is right there. The trip on the plane is so short & cheap.
On the other hand that is how the locals travel,to if the hubby is really opposed - take the boat and enjoy the adventure.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Water taxi and taxicab rates recently went up -- water taxi US$14 one-way and cab into town from international airport US$20.

Flying from the international airport costs more than either flying from the municipal airport or taking a water taxi, but it sure cuts down on the hassle and gets you to San Pedro a lot faster. And most people seem to actually enjoy the flight, even if they don't usually like small planes.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
G
G
Lan's right. I don't really like small planes, but the view out the window (you're not very high up remember) is of that BEAUTIFUL blue ocean and I always imagine I see the shadow of a big shark/cuda/dolphin so the 15 minute ride goes by so fast. Besides you'll be so excited to finally be there...if you're one of the 1st ones on the plane, you get to sit in the co-capt's seat which is fun, but you can't see as much and you'll be the last one off!

L
lstyles Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for all the advice. There are five of us in our family so when you multiply the difference in costs times five it often makes it worth it. Actually it is not a matter of money but safety! We travel very light (only a small carry on bag for each person) so I am not sure having to carry our bags will be a big deal. How is the water taxi in terms of views? Also, do they run fairly frequently?
thanks again,
Lori

O
O
Advice: I didn't mess with sun screen thinking no problem, its just 1.5 hour ride and ended up with a sun burn.......be sure to put on plenty of sun screen as you'll need it out there on the open sea.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.