Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#68086 - 08/29/03 03:01 AM Blue Water not Reef Fishing ???
lqdqtrmile Offline
Have fished off shore in the Florida Keys for 10 years, prefer trolling for dolphin, tuna, wahoo, etc. Haven't seen any pictures or much conversation or information about this type of fishing. Is this type of fishing poor, good or excellent (we'll be down in March 2004). We prefer this type of fishing because what we catch we eat. Not too interested in billfish, though an occasional sailfish is fun. Should I pack my own special artificial gear or lures or will a guide have what I need? I assume you can rent fishing poles and reels from the guide or do they come with the cost of the guide rental?? We are used to renting our own boat in Florida and fishing by ourselves, but haven't seen that information either. Is that available? Have seen prices per day for a guide, but would like to have a guide for 4-5 days in a row. Is there a price break?? Our reservations are at the 7 Seas but we haven't checked out any of this information with them. Can we go fishing by ourselves off the beach or in the lagoon and is this worthwhile?? As you can probably tell, we don't snorkle or dive, we fish smile
Ok guys, you said the message board was getting a little slow, so help us out :rolleyes:
We love the tropics, the sand and the ocean and are excited about our first trip to AC. We're used to blue water fishing cuz we live in Salem, Oregon.
Appreciate any help that you can provide.

Al & Laurie

#68087 - 08/29/03 12:21 PM Re: Blue Water not Reef Fishing ???
Sandy C Offline
An excellent deep sea fishing guide and source of information is Pete Graniel, 501-226-2584; Pete has won an annual major fishing tournament in the Cayes 2 times in recent years. I think it would be worth a phone call to him to discuss your questions. He has many regular clients that pre-book him for their entire vacation; I have no knowledge of his pricing structure. His fee does include all equipment. Pete also guides reef and flats fishing and can advise you there also. Probably best to call him at night. Happy fishing...

#68088 - 08/29/03 02:20 PM Re: Blue Water not Reef Fishing ???
captjeff Offline
lqdqtmile you have the exact fishing karma I have..; been going down to san pedro a year now I go each month .so I can say have some knowledge first hand as I also have fished the keys all my life ....I like san pedro I use and have became good friends with capt bicho go to web site fishingsanpedro.com this guy is great has a twin eng fishing boat,and has been at sea all of his life ,he will give you action packed days you will remember for years to come..himself and his son his mate are the nicest guys you will meet ..there are lots of good guides on the island but I go down each month to fish thats what I love and he is the best for me ...he will work out a package deal for 3 days or more fishing , if you want to talk fishing call me toll free 1 800 231 7447 e,s,t.be in fri sat sun the going down to san pedro for 9 days of fishing just rember march is very busy book early the good gudes will be sold out I do A monthly fishing report on this board so look for my reports would love to talk to you ...tight lines and good fishing to you enjoy ..

#68089 - 08/29/03 04:07 PM Re: Blue Water not Reef Fishing ???
lqdqtrmile Offline
Thanks for the info guys, will make some calls hopefully this weekend. Capt. Jeff I was hoping you would put in your two cents. I've enjoyed reading your fishing reports and just now have gotten my husband to look over the boards with me. He had to draft that long message cause I couldn't remember what the devil he wanted to ask smile I'll pass along your phone number to him and ask him to give you a call this weekend.

#68090 - 08/29/03 05:23 PM Re: Blue Water not Reef Fishing ???
Mel S Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lqdqtrmile:
Have fished off shore in the Florida Keys for 10 years, prefer trolling for dolphin, tuna, wahoo, etc. Haven't seen any pictures or much conversation or information about this type of fishing. Is this type of fishing poor, good or excellent (we'll be down in March 2004). We prefer this type of fishing because what we catch we eat. Not too interested in billfish, though an occasional sailfish is fun. Should I pack my own special artificial gear or lures or will a guide have what I need? I assume you can rent fishing poles and reels from the guide or do they come with the cost of the guide rental?? We are used to renting our own boat in Florida and fishing by ourselves, but haven't seen that information either. Is that available? Have seen prices per day for a guide, but would like to have a guide for 4-5 days in a row. Is there a price break?? Our reservations are at the 7 Seas but we haven't checked out any of this information with them. Can we go fishing by ourselves off the beach or in the lagoon and is this worthwhile?? As you can probably tell, we don't snorkle or dive, we fish smile
Ok guys, you said the message board was getting a little slow, so help us out :rolleyes:
We love the tropics, the sand and the ocean and are excited about our first trip to AC. We're used to blue water fishing cuz we live in Salem, Oregon.
Appreciate any help that you can provide.

Al & Laurie

#68091 - 08/29/03 05:32 PM Re: Blue Water not Reef Fishing ???
Mel S Offline
Have you clicked on this http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishing.html There are some great guides on San Pedro. I prefer Geraldo, and Fido Badillo. Maybe we should start a "Fishing-Guide Competition" . It maybe fun, ESPN2 might like it. ms.

#68092 - 08/29/03 05:59 PM Re: Blue Water not Reef Fishing ???
captjeff Offline
al and laurie I will very happy to give you the skinny on the belize fishing scene ....I get very chatty when I talk fishing so give me a call this week end at work so I do not tie the boards up with my passion for fishing and gab to much with one run on sentence.. be in 10 to 3 est. toll freee 1 800 231 7447 in fri sat sun will speak to you then .... tight lines to ya..

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 40 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.