Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#68498 - 05/16/03 04:40 PM Restaurant Reviews
Seaislegal Offline
Still working on my trip report.. but here are the restaurant reviews. Only place I didn't make it to this time that I wanted to go to was Jambals. Some of our gang went there though and raved about it yet again.

Casa Picasso – Really good Tapas! Roasted garlic and the pork loin were yummy! We had a mixture of tapas and pasta amongst the group. Some of us tried a Spanish Rioja and others really enjoyed their martinis. Got to meet Chris (Beachy).

Ricos – Lunch – Good enchiladas and fish burritos. Rico's works as a good breakfast and lunch spot. A couple of our gang had dinner there and weren't as thrilled with that.

Caliente - Incredible as always!!! Still my favorite restaurant and we went there twice for dinner. Love those Flautas! Coconut Chicken (or shrimp) Curry is yummy… same with the conch fritters,, stuffed jalapenos, ginger rum chicken and everything essentially that we had!! I was bummed it was closed the day before we left as I really wanted to go back one more time.

Cocina Caramba – Another hit! A new place located on Middle Street. Their Conch Ceviche was loved by all. Also, try their “Tour Guide Style” dishes. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed what they got and we had also gone there for lunch (good quesadillas). Great French fries too and a ketchup that was delicious. They also got out the upside down shots when we told them it was one of our party's birthday.

Elvis – Mixed bag… Noted as the worst meal for some of our group who got the Carribean chicken (so tough they had to ask for a steak knife) and the other day we went the one guy didn't like the pork chops. The Conch Chowder was great though and full of chunks of conch and potatos and those who got the grilled shrimp and the mayan chicken liked their meals. Coconut rice was a disappointment though compared to Seaduced's. Service was at least quick.

Papis – Had a good meal there, I tried the mixed kebabs which were real tasty as was their conch ceviche. Two of my group also raved about the fish dishes they had ate there two nights earlier.

Rasta Pasta – We had a great lunch there. Awesome conch fritters and crab Rangoon. A couple of us had their chicken curry which was very tasty and others loved their coconut battered shrimp of chicken. Definitely a place to go back too and worth the ferry to Caye Caulker.

El Divino – Fantastic eggs benedict! I had it three times that week. Went there for lunch once and had the pot roast which was very good, and my friend liked his Chicken Sandwich a lot. Also at dinner tried their yummy conch fritters and pineapple chicken pizza! I didn't get aroound to trying the Rodizio... but it always smelled fantastic! Sergio the waiter is the best, that guy is hilarious!

Fidos – Stopped in for lunch. My cheeseburger was decent but my friends raved about their Shrimp burgers.

BCs – Awesome Sunday BBQ as always, the meat platter was delicious with the ribs meat coming right off the bone.

Lagniappe - Conch Fritters were awesome and so was the jerk chicken. We had planned on going back but ran out of time.

Estels – Had a good breakfast there, got the breakfast burrito and had them put the potatos in there instead of refried beans so it was very good!

Pepperonis - My friends raved on about the pizza they got there. They didn't find that place until Sunday before we left though, so were bummed they couldn't go back there again before we left as it was closed on Mon.

Sharks - Good night spot especially on Tuesdays. The stuffed jalapenos were awesome! Pizza was also great. The only dislike from the group ws the shrimp fajitas. Other than that everyone else liked what they had.

Seaduced BBQ - Incredible food. We went with Seaduced twice and had the beach BBQs on Goffs Key and then at Robles point. The food was to die for!! My friends raved about the fish and I loved the chicken, it was so flavorful. The potatoes, pasta salad and coconut rice were soooooo good, I need to e-mail Rebecca and see if she'll let me have the recipe for upcoming camping trips! The hot sauce was the perfect compliment for those who like to kick it up a notch. Her brownies were decadently fabulous too. And at Robles, the Seaduced guys got us fresh coconuts (to which some of our gang promptly added rum) to make our own coconut rum drinks.. and then ate the meat after it was empty.

Other than Calientes, the Seaduced BBQs was my favorite meal! I need to e-mail Rebecca and see if she'll give me some recipes for the potatoes and pasta salad I can use on an upcoming camping trip.

Basically, we enjoyed about 90% of where we went and what we had. There are so many good restaurants on the island! Time to go on a diet now....

Andrea in Atlanta

#68499 - 05/16/03 05:17 PM Re: Restaurant Reviews
captjeff Offline
seaislegal,great report the capt,forgot to say how good cocina,caramba is. had the stew chicken ,was outstanding ,lagniappe super always .and of course estels in the am..wow foot long burrito.pleased to meet you .you guys know how to party .fun fun,group lets keep in touch .

#68500 - 05/16/03 07:12 PM Re: Restaurant Reviews
Gela Offline
Andrea, thanks for the review. I too enjoyed Casa Picasso and visiting with Chris. I hadn't made it last year so I made sure I went this year.

Did you get to Jambels and Sweet Basils? They are two of my favorites.

Too many restaurants, not enough time wink

#68501 - 05/16/03 08:39 PM Re: Restaurant Reviews
Islenutt Offline
Ditto on all of Andrea's reviews.
And I can add that Sweet Basil salads were great, late afternoon lunch was perfect.
wink
We ended up at Jambel Jerk Pit two nights in a row it was so good.
The only bad experience with food that I had was at It. The absolute worst cheeseburger ever. There were five people in the place (not all together) and four out of five disliked it. Two had brats that they couldn't even eat. The beer and potatoes were the only things decent.
I do have to say the waitress was great. She tried her best and was professional thoughout.

#68502 - 05/16/03 09:16 PM Re: Restaurant Reviews
Barbara K Offline
I also highly recommend the street vendor shacks by central park. Shirley's (3rd one in from the street) is awesome. Best potato salad I have ever had in my life!!! Jambel's was great too. And Fido's only when Duane is cooking.

#68503 - 05/16/03 09:21 PM Re: Restaurant Reviews
indygal Offline
One more to add. Our best meal was at "it" formally The boatyard. Thursday nigth pasta night was excellent. The pasta was homemade! Nice people. The rest of the time they just serve Bar food, but burgers are good too. "It" is behind the airport a few blocks - there are signs.
Thank you for the great list. There were quite a few to try next time.

#68504 - 05/17/03 02:06 AM Re: Restaurant Reviews
Pedro1 Offline
Indygirl -what did your husband say about his food on wed. lunch?

#68505 - 05/17/03 02:28 AM Re: Restaurant Reviews
Islenutt Offline
As much as it pains me to agree with Pedro...
I recall Indygal's husband saying it was inedible and sending it back.

#68506 - 05/17/03 07:10 PM Re: Restaurant Reviews
indygal Offline
You are right of course. My husband got an awful Brat on Wed. lunch. But, I stand by Thursday night pasta was very good, and so were the hamburgers. Maybe the cook was off last Wed. So,are you still in SP? I'm back in Indy, but can't quite get into the swing of things. I love being in Belize.

#68507 - 05/17/03 07:14 PM Re: Restaurant Reviews
Pedro1 Offline
Indy have to disagree with your recollections for wednesday-the two people who I had lunch with did not finish their burgers-pasta night I have heard is good but lunch needs a huge amount of work

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 53 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,301 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.