Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68658 - 05/21/03 12:16 AM Trip Report
Windjammer Offline
Day 1 5/2
Flight from Houston to Belize quite uneventful actually good, got first class. Arrived with friend from Colorado and her "gang" of 5 others. Quite an eclectic group. Two women 60 & 58 supposedly world travelers, a male co-worker 56 and two cute young "dudes" 29 & 33 or 34? They were going to Caves Branch for 4 days of jungle adventure & I was venturing off on my own with Sue who works at Caves Branch. Caves Branch van picks us up at the airport and on the drive to the jungle stopping at Cheers Bar for our first drink we cover the two topics you should NEVER discuss in a group especially with ones you do not know Religion & Politics!! Arrive at Caves Branch and let me tell you if you want to see Ian really happy, bring Shipley's chocolate filled donuts! He was in heaven and especially since his honey wasn't there. Dinner at Caves Branch (always good) then off to Sue's for the night. Unseasonably hot in the jungle, they already had temps over 100 degrees, no electricity, no AC.

Day 2
Up early for breakfast at Caves Branch before going to visit Sue's friend Candy in Placencia. Candy has electricity, no AC but fans and on the beach. However the trip is 3 hours the last 20 miles being 1hour due to the dirt, gravel, washboard roads in a small pickup truck. The original plan was to spend Sat. night with Candy, drive back to Sue's for Sun. night, then drive to Belize City on Monday to fly to Ambergris. Luckily Sue decided on the ride down that we could stay an extra night with Candy and fly from Placencia to San Pedro. YES! Arrived at Candy's, she's great, glad I got to meet her & will go back.

Day 3
Spent the day "chillin" in Placencia. Went to -forgot the name of the bar, lots of local, horseshoe competition, etc. The women ruled!Nice dinner at another place I forgot the name of. DUH! It's hell to get old.

Day 4
Sue & I explored the village of Placencia, went to Soul Shine to see Barnaby who used to work at Caves Branch, went for a dip in the pool, hot. Back to Candy's for a swim in the sea and dinner.

Day 5
Sue & I flew from Placencia to Belize City by way of Dangriga,Municipal to International to San Pedro. Lot's of local flying arriving 2 hours later. Checked in with Lori at Changes In Latitude and then off to enjoy the island. Found out the wind in Placencia was worse in San Pedro. We had planned on parasailing but were told no way as we would probably end up in the lagoon due to the winds. First drink in San Pedro at Fido's. Then walking the beach when Sue ran into friends yelling "Mama Sue, You B----!" Of course we stopped to visit and have a few. After several!, we headed back to our rooms to shower & dress for dinner. Went to El Divino for O Jackie's birthday bash, met her, B_B_F_B, Gela and re-met up with Pedro who we had seen earlier in the day at BC's. Lot's more message board people whom I did not meet. Sue being someone who has lived in Belize 30 years knows lots of people. We actually walked the beach from Changes in Latitude and walked back stopping at Crazy Canucks to hear the Punta Boys on the way back. I'm lazy & had I realized how far it was would have taken a taxi. Next time.

Day 4
Wind, Wind, Wind, hung out for the morning at the Belize Yacht Club pool. They don't care, only ones there & it is next door to where we were staying. Rachel & her "eclectic gang" arrive from Caves Branch along with another friend from Houston to dive. Sue must go back to work & leaves shortly after their arrival. Tried to go to Jambel's for dinner, closed, ended up at Shark's Bar, ok, nothing to write home about, then drinks & Barefoot at Fido's.

Day 6
Supposed to go on the Offshore Express II for two nights but way too much wind and sea! Did take the 8 of us for a test dive/snorkel to test skills & equipment at Mexico Rocks. Can't even go there to explain my true feelings. Just leave it at this, I was supposed to be the only snorkeler who had never dived and could have probably dived better than some that were diving!

Day 7
Up at 5Am, on the Belize Yacht Club Pier at 6am to take the ONLY boat going out that day. 30+ knot winds and 10-15+ foot seas. What a ride, thank God we had Clive at the wheel!!! Rockin & Rollin to Bob Seger with he & Norma (his sister) making the sign of the cross when we went out & came back in from the deep blue rockin & rollin seas. Friend Rachel learned to do a pole dance (360 degree spins off the front of the boat) and broke her toe! The young "dudes" and her friend Lisa could not stop laughing over something that came damn near to her losing her life! I''ve finished over half of the trip but much more to come, however must go to bed now will finish tomorrow.

#68659 - 05/21/03 03:41 AM Re: Trip Report
rickcheri Offline
Too Cool,
Keep it coming!!
Rick laugh wink

#68660 - 05/21/03 11:41 PM Re: Trip Report
Windjammer Offline
Day 7 Continued
I forgot to say that we did have dinner day 6 at Jambel's YUM, YUM, YUM!! Went for ice cream after and home for an early night before getting on the boat day 7. We took the long way out going south, staying inside the reef until English Caye? Went to Turneffe & Lighthouse Reef first. The rest of the group did 2 dives along the way. Guess you could call it that! As one described it it was a "cluster F---" under the water, arms & legs moving non stop. Glad I wasn't diving. Tried to snorkel off the back of the boat. Ha! Ha! Like a cork bobbing up & down, shark bait. Decided just to float on the life ring which took me from side to side of the boat and up & down. Dinner was great, baked chicken, some ate half a chicken! Oh yeah, does the shower have hot water? Yeah right!

Day 8
Already told Clive I am NOT a morning person & please don't wake me before 9am, he said he would bring me coffee in bed. Rachel led him astray & he brought coffee with cream at 8 or before. Told him I wanted it black which arrived a few minutes later. The group did dives that day. We also saw other boats that day including one from Amigos del Mar who radioed and asked how we got there so early as they had a rough ride out. We informed them we had come the day before. That night we spent the night at Half Moon Caye and had BBQ Chicken. Lots of Booby's, Frigates and Hermit Crabs but did not see any of the 7' or otherwise iguana's. Woke during the night (potty call) and the winds were unbelievable! Had really bad feelings about making it back.

Day 9
Woke up to major winds and waves, Clive not sure we would be able to make it back to San Pedro. He asked Norma if we had enough food to stay an extra day & she said yes. Headed to the Blue Hole, rockin & a rollin again (literraly), more signs of the cross when we made it out & in. Real comforting. Arrived at the Blue Hole, only boat there, I'm determined I am going to snorkel as I have not been able to the entire trip & this is supposed to be the greatest place (which I have not done before because when we tried 2 years ago the boat never made it outside the reef due to engine problems, that boat later sank) We are there, 4 of the group are diving and the other 3 have decided to snorkel with me. YEA! HA! There are hundreds, thousand, billions of

#68661 - 05/22/03 12:06 AM Re: Trip Report
Windjammer Offline
Oops don't know what I did wrong but lost it, must continue now with day 9 (I think) hundreds, thousands, billions of THIMBLE JELLYFISH everywhere. Will I or will I not, I haven't paid all this money just to ride on a boat & eat so yes I will. Miss Massive Allergic Person is going to swim with all those jellyfish thimble or otherwise. Not going to miss this opportunity. Saturated myself with sunscreen prentending they are Pica Pica in my 2 piece bathing suit I jump in. This is an important piece of information because the other 3 used to be divers are now fully dressed in long pants, long sleeve blouses, and/or wet suits, socks, etc. to SNORKEL!!!! Fortunately they bailed out and went back to the boat & Speedy aka Drury snorkeled the rim with me jellyfish and all from the south side to the north before being picked up by the boat. It was fantastic and I'm sure even much more so without all the wind & jellyfish which interferred with the visiblilty and wanted to wash you into the reef. After the Blue Hole the "dudes" caught a Baracuda. One of the sisters kept insisting someone step on his tail so he would quit squirming around. I had enough at this point and told her if she wanted someone to step on his tail she should do so. She did! Then she asked if we were going to throw him back, yea sure with a spear through him. Of course we said no he is lunch. Sorry but I can't go any farther tonight. I get too worked up. More tomorrow!

#68662 - 05/22/03 11:48 PM Re: Trip Report
Windjammer Offline
Well, reading your own post the next day after having more to drink than you thought while posting shows you should not try to type and post after too many drinks. Way too many spelling and gramatical errors. Guess that means I will not finish my trip report tonight either. It really does not matter if I finish it or not since no one seems to read, comment or care. Mainly just needed to get it out of my system and have it recorded for posterity. I really did have a good time even though I did not thoroughly enjoy some of the group.. I always have a good time & enjoy myself as my motto is "Live each day as if it were your last because you never know when it might be" Always have fun, no matter what. Life is way too short to sweat the small stuff. Have buried or creamated two husbands at ages 29 & 39, way too young! Later! smile

#68663 - 05/23/03 12:00 AM Re: Trip Report
Chloe Offline
Windjammer, enjoyed your report very much, but did not want to post and interrupt the flow.

You wrote some fun stuff....come on back and give the whole report.
Dare To Deviate

#68664 - 05/23/03 12:21 AM Re: Trip Report
Windjammer Offline
Thanks Chloe, will you be at the Texas Partee? Just feeling very I'm not sure what tonight. Manage a high rise condo (20yrs. now) and spent hours drinking with one of my residents who is 84 and just lost her husband who was 92. He only left her millions and she's bitching about the obituary costing $300+. I wish I had such problems. It was kinda the same with some of the group I ended up with, they were bitchy over little crappy things. I just wanted to say "

#68665 - 05/23/03 12:22 AM Re: Trip Report
Windjammer Offline
OOPS hit the wrong button again, Just wanted to say, GET A LIFE!

#68666 - 05/23/03 12:25 AM Re: Trip Report
Chloe Offline
Windjammer, so true, get a life, and live then.
Dare To Deviate

#68667 - 05/23/03 01:09 AM Re: Trip Report
seashell Offline
We always love a trip report, Windjammer, keep going. Thanks for sharing with us.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.