Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#69028 - 05/27/03 09:00 AM Trip report from a first timer!
whiskeydrinkinmadam Offline
Another big thanks to this board for all the info, as a first timer to A.C. it really really helped! We were with the Jim Morris group and stayed at Ramons, but we did manage to meet up with Scubachic by mid week or so (Hi Melissa! LOVED your report!) I'll keep this brief:

Adored Ramons; definetly the best beach in my opinion. Room 56, right on the water, was wonderful! We were up by 6:00 am every morning, looking out the window just to make sure it was all still there. Also loved the pool (and the Bellikin toting bar staff who served you right in the pool!) Food was fair to average; the BBQ lobster was the best meal they served.

Where did we eat? Breakfast was best at Estels (say hi to Charles if you go there for me) Lillys, and Rubys. We also tried Blue Water, a little pricy for breakfast but the dinners there... to die for!! Didn't hurt that they let Jim Morris play right on the bar deck, with all of us Parrothead types drinkin, dancing and watching the sun go down. Caliente's was absolutely amazing, their mole is the best our table of four had ever had. They get my vote for best conch cerviche also, I sure wish I had tried this dish earlier in the week because I LOVED it. We had one very romanitc dinner at the Victoria House; they actually came and picked us up in a complimentary golf cart from Ramons. Food was as beautifully prepared and presented as their dining room, which was all mahoghany, white cloths over tables and chairs, and candlelight. Lunch at Mangos, don't forget the smoothie! We also did Michaels at Cocanut Beach, yum!

My best food advice would be: try the cerviche EARLY in your trip (so you don't have to eat it twice a day like I did once you fall in love midweek!) have stew chicken at least once, use Marie Sharps sauce on everything, and buy lots to bring home. Have a case of Bellikin delivered to your room before you arrive (thanks to my new friends and A.C. neighbors, Al and Marcia, for THAT tip!) try the rum punch everywhere, it seemed different at each bar I had it, and DO get a Purple Parrot from Ramon's bar (of the same name) it's a pina coloda with kahlua, and it is GOOD!!

Don't forget to buy your Saga calender, 100% of the proceeds go to spay and neuter the beach dogs and cats, and the photos are gorgeous. Shop at Isla Bonita, they custom make an outfit for you (very reasonable prices) and they make you feel like a princess. Say hi to Aida for me if you go there, she's a trip!

Can't believe it's over... it seems like a dream. Thanks again to everyone here for all the tips and info!! smile smile

#69029 - 05/27/03 09:55 AM Re: Trip report from a first timer!
mobunny Offline
Hi, where is the Isla Bonita shop located at? We are returning in August for my birthday and I'd loved to have a dress made. Thanks, mobunny

PS We stayed at Ramon's (Room 60 on the beach) last March and fell in love with the beach, the grounds, the pool and the staff. That's where will stay in August too. Glad you had such a good time.

#69030 - 05/27/03 10:04 AM Re: Trip report from a first timer!
Chloe Offline
Great report, thanks for sharing and reminding us of SAGA.

Hey no Manalley's ice cream?
Dare To Deviate

#69031 - 05/27/03 10:33 AM Re: Trip report from a first timer!
whiskeydrinkinmadam Offline
No, sadly my hubby is lactose intolerant and I couldn't bring myself to eat ice cream in front of him. It sure looked good though!

Mo, Isla Bonita is on Front Street, past Fidos. We left our hubby's at the bar there while we shopped, worked great! I forgot to mention we also ate at Fidos; another awesome cerviche place, rest of the food was very good too ... AND... DRAFT BELLIKIN! Woo hoo! Are you staying at Ramons again? You are SO lucky!!!!!

#69032 - 05/28/03 09:59 AM Re: Trip report from a first timer!
Seaislegal Offline
We were there when Jim Morris' group was last year. We didn't plan that in advance, just happened to be there the same week so got to catch a couple of the shows after e-mailing Sharon. My little group of 10 Parrotheads went back to AC again this year but not the same week this time. I did have his CDs with me though.

You guys were on the island the same time as Buffett was though as he went out with Seaduced on Monday the 19th and his yacht arrived on the 11th right before we left.

I'll catch Jim at MOTM in Key West at least!

Andrea in Atlanta
Andrea in Atlanta

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Safecracker, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.