Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69320 - 05/31/03 03:57 AM Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
ScubaDoo Offline
Can someone recommend a dive operator that doesn't operate cattle boats. People on this board seemed to lean towards Amigos del Mar. We don't like going on boat that has more than 8 or so divers. TIA.

#69321 - 05/31/03 10:09 AM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
seashell Offline
reefman@pcez.com

Just remember, there is always a trade off.

You can dive with a guarantee of fewer divers . . . but you won't have the same service, no matter who you sign up with.

One of the many reasons that people recommend Amigos is because they have so many boats, you are virtually guaranteed to get a dive, whereas with smaller operators, sometimes they don't go out if conditions and/or customers aren't all that they can be (to the operator)

Amigos will keep your gear, instead of having to take it with you all the time, etc. etc.

I almost always dive with Amigos. There is a reason that I do that, even with all my San Pedro diving experience . . .

I really enjoy diving with *very* small groups, (in fact, often dive sans buddy) and from time to time, I've had to put up with as many as 5 or 6 other divers (oh no). . . but it's rare and when I do, we are still quite comfortable and roomy on the Amigos boats (even the smallest one).

However, while you can find yourself from time to time sitting and diving with more divers than you'd hoped to, Amigos often don't have that many divers booked. And whether they do or don't, all of their boats are in really good shape, and as a rule their captains and DMS are excellent. I could go on and on and probably will . . .

All that said, if you are totally hooked on making sure you dive with a small intimate group with an excellent DM, then be sure to check out Ched (Reef Adventures).

#69322 - 05/31/03 03:12 PM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
Gaz Cooper Offline
Hi Seashell

As usual you provide accurate and good information however since I market myself as Ambergris Cayes smallest dive operation taking only 6-8 divers per boat I wanted to seperate myself from your point that if we did not have enough divers we would cancel.

I agree most operators will cancel however we do not, it is my view that if a diver has booked with me and I dont have enough divers to make the trip worthwhile, it is not that divers problem it is mine so no matter if I have just one diver pre-booked i will go out even with that one diver. its a service issue

Just wanted to clarify that point

Gaz

P.S Can't go wrong with either Amigos or Ched both provide good service

#69323 - 05/31/03 03:25 PM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
NYgal Offline
Good point Gaz.

We don't dive, but it would be a hard situation, for those that do, if they couldn't go due to lack of divers interested.

Many tours are cancelled due to lack of enough people to go, mainland especially. It hurts the tourist more than anything. They spend big bucks to go somewhere and then can't go out on a tour.

Back to the divers........... smile

#69324 - 05/31/03 03:49 PM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
seashell Offline
No worries Gaz. I should have clarified that the cancellation scenario is unlikely to occur at a dedicated dive resort like Playa Blanca. I'm sure that the boats also go out at Sundiver and places like that too.

As for in town, if for some reason a small operator can't take you out that day, they will often set you up with another operator that is going out. If that occurs, don't be surprised to find yourself on an Amigos' boat after all.

And it should also be noted that Gaz' operation should be separated from my comment about service. As a dedicated dive resort, his resort can and will provide the same gear service and overall diver support, that may be missing from some of the smaller independent operators in town.

Gaz, as you well know, I think your DM, Andy Palacio, is one of the very finest.

#69325 - 05/31/03 05:07 PM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
ScubaDoo Offline
We'll be in Ambergris Caye in a week. Can anyone tell me what the water temperature is?

#69326 - 05/31/03 05:36 PM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
Gaz Cooper Offline
This mornings dive temp was

83 surface

82 at 60ft

regards

Gaz

#69327 - 05/31/03 05:38 PM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
Gaz Cooper Offline
THANKS Seashell

I am the first to admit my operation is only as good as the people that work with me and you are right Andy is a GEM and one of the best out there.

all the best

Gaz

#69328 - 06/01/03 02:19 AM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
Kra-Z-K Offline
ScubaDoo:

I went with Amigo Del Mar's (eddie and Alberto are wonderful) and went with just me diving and the masters!!! And some people I met the next day also went w/ Amigo Del Mar's and it was a group of 3 that just went with them...during the busy season. Who said you need to go with so many? They are wonderful!
KE

#69329 - 06/01/03 02:28 AM Re: Looking for a Dive Operator... Not a cattle boat.
pnowell Offline
I know several people are for Amigos del Mar and we had a bad time with them.I would try Gaz.
no futher comment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.