Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#69543 06/06/03 02:06 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a kayak or canoe to go to the reef on your own? If it is possible...where? Thanks

#69544 06/06/03 07:10 PM
S
S
Recommend you check with Xanadu Resort via "Lodging" above. They have free kayaks for their guests and will rent to others. That's a fun way to snorkel the reef.

#69545 06/07/03 05:38 AM
T
T
how do you snorkel the reef with a kayak?

#69546 06/07/03 08:44 AM
The tube needs to be about 5 feet long, and you need some basic skills in rolling the boat.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
#69547 06/07/03 09:38 AM
I wuz gonna say that!!

#69548 06/07/03 11:28 AM
Now I know, my lack of skills, thanks.

Dare To Deviate
#69549 11/19/03 10:18 PM
J
J
Sandy C., are you still here?

We are staying at Xanadu, and we chose it specifically because it includes kayaks. We intended to kayak to the reef. I finally thought to ask Xanadu what they thought about that, and they replied strongly that they advise against kayaking to the reef.

I saw Sandy C.'s post about doing exactly what we want, and just a small number of other posts about kayaking to the reef.

I heard that there are permanent anchor points created to allow people to tie boats up without dropping anchor on the reef. Are those on the inside of the reef where we can safely reach them with the kayak without having to cross to the outside of the reef?

Are Xanadu's kayaks nice stable self bailing sit on tops? Or are they the type which can easily flip and then would have to be slowly bailed by hand bucket?

Thanks!!
-Jay and Yoshiko

#69550 11/19/03 11:09 PM
There are several issues regarding kayaks and boats: One is safety related, one is commercial and one is environmental.

From a safety perspective, the reef is a few hundred yards out, and especially in town and south of town there are many fast motorized boats going back and forth inside the reef. Once at or near the reef, there is the issue of knowledge about the reef, currents and so on. All in all, a novice kayaker or boater without local knowledge can get into serious trouble.

Environmentally, there is the issue of damage to the reef and the reef ecosystem by people who bang into the coral, anchor improperly, take fish improperly and so on.

Commercially, there is the perceived need to control snorkeling, fishing and other activities on and around the reef so that local people and local tour operators can make a buck. The idea is that if visitors go out to the reef on their own in kayaks, boats, or whatever, it will reduce local tourist revenues.

Anyway, that's my take on the real situation.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#69551 11/20/03 12:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Caribe Island has kayaks for our guests also. It comes with a very short "basic" talk about safety, but mostly about currents. We have had several guests go from the resort to the reef, (in fact, Debbie and Jane's husbands did the jaunt). I can't say that I would recommend it unless you are an experienced kayaker, as well as experienced snorkler. ALWAYS make sure you have some kind of diver-down flag when you leave the shore. This is a new addition to our new kayaks, and a great idea. We have also discussed having marine radios inside the kayaks in case of emergency. We currently have small radios that can be used.
Just be cautious, be eco-friendly, and have fun!
Cheerz!

#69552 11/20/03 09:28 AM
J
J
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate Lan's caution. It seems that, as a comfortable kayaker and snorkeler, strong swimmer, and sensible person, it should be okay to kayak out to the reef to snorkel.

The diver-down flag makes a lot of sense, as it would raise the profile higher above the water.

Some people suggested keeping the kayaks tethered to us, which might work in sufficiently still water, but I prefer to trust an anchor point, and I prefer to not have a kayak attached to me like that smile

We would never allow our kayaks to hit the reef, which means that we really need to know where the tie-up buoys are. Is there a map of them?

Finally, as there are risks involved, it would be nice if we could find another couple of people to go out with us, so we're not just two people. Anyone else going to be on AC Nov 22-27 who wants to kayak out to the reef with us to snorkel?

Thanks! We're on the plane in 24 hours!
-Jay and Yoshiko

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.