Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#70091 - 06/23/03 11:19 PM home building
slats Offline
I have a piece of land, a house plan and several questions. I'll start with two of them.
Is there sewer on the island or is a septic system used? What builder would you recommend?

#70092 - 06/24/03 03:38 AM Re: home building
rickcheri Offline
E us and we'll give ya the scoop!!

laugh laugh wink

#70093 - 06/24/03 07:28 AM Re: home building
tincup Offline
You can email me as well. I am in the process of building north of the cut.

#70094 - 06/24/03 01:44 PM Re: home building
Chris Offline
I just started building our new house...or rather, our contractor, Daniel Camal (Rocamco Construction) did. He built Banana Beach Resort...the construction there is first rate. I can't see how you could go wrong with him if it's strong, beautiful concrete construction you need. Call him on 226 3441 (late afternoon is the best time).

Depends where you are on the island if you'll have sewer or will need to put in a septic system. In any case, our warm climate makes septic systems work very well and they're cheap to install.

rickcheri and tincup: what information do you have that is so private you don't want to publish it here....if it's good information offered at no personal gain for yourself for the benefit of the person asking the questions can't you share it with the rest of us??

#70095 - 06/24/03 02:05 PM Re: home building
dogmatic prevaricator Offline
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that the offer for private discussions will prevent the gratuitous dilution of their point of view by lurking cynics, such as me.
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

#70096 - 06/24/03 02:35 PM Re: home building
KB Offline
We built on the south end of the island with Graniel's. Armando Sr. has 40 years of construction experience in San Pedro and was (and continues to be) invaluable as a source of advice. We began construction last March and the house was completed before Christmas. We have 2 septic tanks as the bathrooms are on separate sides of the house and we went with concrete construction. I will be away until July 7 but post me a note if you have any other questions and I can reply when I return.

#70097 - 06/24/03 02:49 PM Re: home building
Pedro1 Offline
One question for Rick/Cherie and Tincup -are you both very pleased with what your builders have done to/for you.I agree wholeheartedly with Chris put your recommendations on the board,and the problems that you have both encountered with building in Belize.
My advice in building and I have built one house and one hostel is to be here while it is being built or appoint someone who you trust to manage the project,and pay them well.
Whatever you decide to do let me warn you that it is not easy,and not cheap.

#70098 - 06/24/03 08:48 PM Re: home building
tincup Offline
To Chris and Pedro - Yes, not easy and not cheap, and from what I have heard from others, being there to oversee things is not necessarily a guaranty that things will go well. I chose to go with a builder with an excellent reputation (Graniel) and have not been disappointed thus far (we are about half way through construction). Our initial plans were for a simple beach house, but we ended up going with concrete. The water cistern sits below the house and so a good deal of the construction is in the ground. We also have dual septic systems.
The negatives I would have to say are cost and limited choices for tile, appliances, fixtures etc. Benny's is no Home Depot. You can have things sent from the States, but my preference is to just learn to live with what is available locally.
On the plus side, construction can be customized quite easily. We actually took plans from a house in Florida (frame, bungalow, gable roof) and had it redrawn for construction in concrete. We used the original floorplan for the raised level of the house and added another living area (completely different floorplan) and bodega below, had the roof changed to a hip roof and added a verandah in front. Try doing that with your local Florida builder!

#70099 - 06/24/03 09:04 PM Re: home building
Pedro1 Offline
Tincup with my memory it seems that you have been building for over six months-correct me if I am wrong but if I am correct that is one hell of a long time to get half a house or it is it a mansion that you are building?Just out of interest what are you paying per sq.ft?

#70100 - 06/24/03 09:51 PM Re: home building
rickcheri Offline
Pedro and Chris...we simply do not want to "post" our experiences with the building of our home. Is this a problem for you??? If either of yoy would like a "sit down" conversation about it, we'll see ya around August 1st. Simply TOO much to type here!!! ALL experiences with building ANYTHING, no matter where you are, NEVER go as planned. Do you have a certain "agenda" here??? Cheri' eek

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.