Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#70159 - 06/24/03 04:33 PM The Caribbean for landlubbers I: Belize, baby
Marty Offline
The Caribbean for landlubbers I: Belize, baby

Belize for budgeteers: roundtrip airfare from $347; week-long air/hotel packages from $568

By Reid Bramblett
ARTHUR FROMMER'S BUDGET TRAVEL

June 24 — The swaying palms, the sugary sand beaches, the reefs teeming with tropical fishies, mornings spent hiking jungly interiors and afternoons lazing in the hammock—what would you say if you could have the typical Caribbean vacation, only without the cruise ship or island hopping? A holiday on which you could go beyond the beaches and reef diving to enjoy white water rafting, volcano climbs, or flying, harnessed to a zip-line, through a cloud forest a hundred feet above the ground?

THAT’S WHAT’S on offer along the Caribbean western edge, where the fabled Sea’s warm waters tickle the beaches of Central America, and nowhere are those beaches more welcoming than in the diver’s paradise of Belize and the eco-tourism capital of Costa Rica. Today we’re going to stick to the Yucatan’s shore and show you the best deals in Belize. Tomorrow, it’s off to Costa Rica.

AWESOME AIRFARES ON AMERICAN
Lucky for us then that American Airlines (www.aa.com) has just put both on of those countries on sale, as long as you don’t mind transferring planes in Dallas/Ft. Worth. For travel ending by July 31, you can get roundtrip airfare into either Belize City, Belize (from $347) or San Jose, Costa Rica (for more on that, tune in tomorrow) from dozens of US gateways—mostly in Texas and California, but also Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Oregon, and Washington. You must book seven days in advance and by June 30 at the latest; the minimum stay allowed is three days, the maximum 30 days.
The fares listed below are for Monday to Thursday travel (weekends are a tad pricier):

$347—Abilene, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Austin, College Station, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Ft. Worth, El Paso, Houston (Bush Intercontinental or Hobby), Laredo, Lubbock, McAllen, San Antonio, Tyler, Waco.
$350—Phoenix
$377—Colorado Springs, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland, Ontario, Orange County, Reno, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose,
$408—Denver
$496—Portland (OR), Seattle

Figure on taxes and various airport and security charges to total about $38 to $40.
Is there a drawback to buying just airfare? Well, a bit of one, at least from a pricing point of view. Truth be told, the capital of Belize City isn’t much fun to hang around, so you’re likely to want to get out of the proverbial Dodge pretty soon after your arrival. Most visitors don’t even both spending the night in town, beating a hasty retreat for the eco-lodges or beach resorts that are the real draws down here. It’s not really a problem to get outta town, as car rentals or short flights and ferries to the offshore cayes are readily available, but it does mean you’ll have to arrange and pay for these services yourself.
Given how inexpensive packages vacations can be these days (buying airfare and hotel, sometimes other services like a rental car, all together as one package), this option can make sense both from a logistical and an economics point of view. In short: they’ll get you out of the city and on your way to having fun, and they’ll probably cost less than booking everything on your own.

BELIZE ALL TIED UP IN A BOW
Belize is a modest Massachusetts-sized country taking up the southern end of the Yucatan peninsula where Mexico and Guatemala meet. It’s a land of palms and mangroves, sun and sand, reefs and fishies, $10 seafood dinners and ancient Mayan ruins. Most people don’t stay in the city, though, preferring to visit those ruins either over the course of two or three days whilst staying at a jungle lodge, or, more frequently, on a daytrip from their vacation base at a holiday resort on one of the renowned cayes. This tiny islands lie just 20 miles off the coast hard against the longest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere.
Advertisement

Some folks like the bustle and beat of Ambergris Caye, the largest and most developed of the main islands—though when I say “developed” I just mean there’s a proper town (San Pedro), plenty of hotels, and some restaurants and nightlife action. We’re not talking Cancun here or anything; it’s still a laid-back Caribbean destination. Other vacationers head just to the south to shack up on Caye Caulker, a slip of an island miles long and a mere mile or so wide at its fattest point, inhabited by 800 friendly lobster fishermen and sporting a few modest resort hotels. Old Belize hands tend to prefer tiny, fishhook-shaped Tobacco Caye far to the south, a lazy-days destination for budgeteers and snorkel heads (though you’ll find few packaged vacations here; it’s more of a DIY destination).

http://www.msnbc.com/news/930338.asp?cp1=1

#70160 - 06/24/03 04:56 PM Re: The Caribbean for landlubbers I: Belize, baby
Chloe Offline
Thanks Marty, great prices.

#70161 - 06/24/03 07:43 PM Re: The Caribbean for landlubbers I: Belize, baby
lmarquis Offline
Marty - thanks for posting this: perfect timing as I am planning my next vacation to Costa Rica, so I will have to check the website tomorrow.

#70162 - 06/25/03 12:30 AM Re: The Caribbean for landlubbers I: Belize, baby
Barbara K Offline
It's true! $400 including tax from El Paso!

#70163 - 06/25/03 03:52 PM Re: The Caribbean for landlubbers I: Belize, baby
LaurieMar Offline
If you click on the website the Marty posted, you can subscribe for daily budget travel news for free! Just found some great deals!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (mickdiver, Michael Schultz, 1 invisible), 47 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,370 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.