Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
just returned from great trip. didnt notice any of other divers tipping? maybe they did at end of week. I'm just curious what everyone else does.
we have always tipped the dive master , weve never really had a unprofessional or rude divemaster and appecatied the job they did.

H
H
I don't just tip the divemaster. I tip all the guys/gals on the boat and behind the desk by adding on an appropriate sum when I pay my bill. They work hard, give me very good service and deserve to be rewarded. I have been assured that the shop divides the tips collected and distributes them equitably. If one particular person did something over and above I slip them a few bills in addition.

If I am known to the operator and DM's, then I tip at the end of the week. In my log, I make note of every DM and captain I've had over my time there. I make notes if I required extra assistance for some reason or there was something special about their treatment of me and/or my gear on certain days. At the end of the time, I make up envelopes for each captain/DM team. I like to hand them the envelopes myself with a handshake and a verbal expression of my appreciation. However, if they are not available at that time, I feel confident that the operator/owner will pass on the envelope.

If I do not know the operator and they don't know me, or if I am diving with a different outfit for a short period of time, then I may tip daily.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Tip whenever and whatever but by all means tip. Nothing says you have to but it is greatly appreciated. Divemasters and boat crew go above and beyond the normal call of duty quite frequently

T
T
tipping sucks......i hate it when people expect a tip...if you want more money out of me then charge me more...

toad...lots of people work for tips....this stands for "to insure prompt service"...tipping is not mandatory, but if you feel you have been well taken care of by either, a waiter/waitress, bartender, tour guide, cab driver, whatever....then you should tip accordingly...if the service was not up to par, than don't tip...but if you receive excellent service, or someone goes out of their way, to make your experience more pleasant and memorable for you, than why wouldn't you want to compensate these people, who earn less than minimum wage to begin with....

N
N
Toad - I see, you want me to charge you more, even if I give an average service rather than you having the choice to tip if you get a good service -interesting approach!!

I noticed that no one has mentioned the amount of tip. For very good service I tip $5 US per tank.
For mediocre service $5 BZ per tank. Very seldom have I had such poor service as to not tip.
I have left tip money with the shop specifying a certain DM and later asked if they got it only to receive a blank stare.
When I dive I dive with the same operator so they take care of and keep my gear then pick me up at my dock. As much as possible I try to get the same dive master. The first time I dive with someone I tell them that I tip at the end of my trip.
Diving from San Pedro is a bargain to begin with and a good dive master is worth a lot.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
M
Certainly you tip the dive master or dive instructor. We usually do it at the end of the trip, depending on how many days you spent together. Consider this, the server at the restaurant (who certainly deserves a tip as well) you see a couple times, max, a trip. Your dive master is with you for the full time.

C
C
I hate to say it, but I agree with toad. Tipping sucks... Who really wants to sit and ponder the economic balance between customer and service provider after a meal or a dive trip or a taxi ride? IE To decide how much to tip, you have to weigh your own economic situation against that of the employee and decide how much you can afford to lose and how much the employee deserves to gain.

It would be far easier to let this balance occur naturally. Workers would not have to rely on tips if nobody tipped. The cost for the services and the salaries of the workers would adjust automatically. Underpayed workers would either quit or give bad serve. The business would suffer and either be forced to raise salaries (and possible prices) or go out of business.

The level of service would be elevated naturally as long as competition was present between businesses and between potential employees. Owners would be forced to fire workers giving bad service as customers went to other businesses. The workers would be replaced with better workers.

Underpaying workers and forcing them to live on tips is a market strategy that has gotten out of hand. IE if I underpay my servers, I can adverstise a $15 dollar lobster dinner when the true cost is $15 dollars plus 15% or $17.20. Of course, this marketing advantage doesn't last long as soon everbody is doing it.

I was with a large party of a week or so back and we went out to eat together a bunch. I paid the bill 4 times and each time 15% was added automatically to the end of the bill. Yeah I think tipping is great idea...if you want to hide the true cost of something until after the customer has bought it:)

By the way, I do tip and well as I sympathise with the underpayed workers. I just think it sucks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.