Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#70942 - 07/17/03 01:33 PM trip report for July 11
beachluvr Offline
this was my 4th trip & my husband's 2nd...he gets more hooked each time (and so do I, LOL)

we got there on Friday, just after Claudette passed over the tip of the Yucatan, so the bad weather we were worried about never happened...instead, it was perfect the whole time we were there...stayed at Banana Beach & was very impressed w/the property & the service, even if it is a ways to walk to town...we're fit & enjoyed strolling back along the beach late at nite...the moon was full while we were there & the sight of it rising over the sea each night was spectacular!

we ate at several of our favorite places, Papi's, Caliente's, BC's beach bbq, Mango's, the street vendors and it was all just as yummy as we remembered...the best meal we had was the nite that a terrific bartender named Marlon invited us to come to his home & eat w/his family...we stopped by Papi's & got takeout lobster, shrimp, fish & k-bobs...took it to Marlon's where he had the best refried beans & homemade tortillas...that was a highlight of all of my trips to the island...getting to know the people there is what really draws you in...they are all so happy and easy going and welcoming

met *several* new bartenders (I have no clue why most of the folks I meet there are bartenders, hmmm) and several expats who have been bitten by the same bug that most visitors are & have moved there & operating businesses..David & Denise who own Pepperoni's, Larry who owns Pany's golf carts, the Pirate (sorry can't remember his name), and the craziest 2 Texans Curtis & Patrick..we had the best time partying w/all of them

the 2 couples from New Orleans at Lucifer's bar were a blast & totally hysterical...even when they weren't telling the best raunchy jokes! hope you guys had as good a time as we did wink

we weren't able to get enough people together for the fishing trip, but no problem since we aren't much on fishing anyway...we did do the Mexico Rocks/Tres Cocos snorkeling trip thru Searious Adventures & our guide Jeffrey was very talented, patient & thorough in making sure everyone saw, felt & photographed the wonders of all the different varieties of marine life we saw...he told me the names of all of them & I hope I can remember at least half laugh it was in a word, terrific

so many things have changed since we were there last & especially since I was there the 1st time in 2001...so many new buildings and so many rebuilt existing ones! it was hard to recognize some of them! Fido's & Big Daddy's & Cannibal's were all completely different than I remembered...guess that's progress, but what hasn't changed is the warmth and friendly welcome you get from every face you see...riches & material possessions aren't completely unimportant to most people, but they do seem to have a much healthier perspective when it comes to just how important they should be...it is totally rejuvenating to your own soul to be engulfed in such ideas for awhile

maybe it is the clear sparkling water, or the moonlight reflecting off of that water at night, or the cool fresh breeze always blowing your cares away (along w/the pesky pests) that makes everyone so serene and appreciative for what they DO have, I don't know...but i do know that I am forever changed and happier myself for having the chance to experience that feeling and to see those sights and to hear those sounds and to smell those aromas

can't wait to get that chance again...it's probably another year away, but I'll always be looking to get there whenever I can...I'm hooked & now, so is my hubby, yea!

#70943 - 07/17/03 02:03 PM Re: trip report for July 11
mobunny Offline
Thank you. Your trip report was a breath of fresh island air. We are returning in just four short weeks and can't wait. Jeffrey from Searious really is wonderful. We enjoyed him and Mexico Rocks/Tres Cocos so much we snorkeled it twice in one week. I remember Jeffrey saying how much he loved to snorkel and how he refered to the ocean as his office! Thanks again for sharing. mobunny

#70944 - 07/19/03 07:44 AM Re: trip report for July 11
denverdan Offline
OH MAN, I love trip reports and this one was great!
Thanks for posting! laugh
Do ya have any pixs?

#70945 - 07/19/03 03:26 PM Re: trip report for July 11
beachluvr Offline
thanks to both of you...it was so good to go there again! I do have pics, 2 rolls of 'em, but I will have to work to get them posted! just a few free hours, right? I know I can do it, LOL wink

#70946 - 07/19/03 07:17 PM Re: trip report for July 11
AngelFish Offline
WOW! What a wonderful report! I am arriving for the first time next Thursday and am SO excited. Everything I am reading about this place has me doing somesaults. When I told people where I was planning to go for vacation, I got a few 'WHY???'s'... and 'why not a Sandals resort in Ochos Rios or a cruise!' Because of everything being described to me in this report---- THAT'S WHY!!!!! I've always had a gut feeling in my heart this was a place I NEEDED to go to, and I know I won't be disappointed. Thanks for such wonderful web sites and boards to explore. I can't wait until next week.

#70947 - 07/20/03 03:57 AM Re: trip report for July 11
kerry Offline
great report!!!! can't wait to see your photos....

and denverdan....please let conchita know i am working on the school supplies...she gave me your e-mail and said that you may be able to help get some of this down to them....keep you posted on that one.....if you care to e-mail me, i'm

sorry, didn't mean to get off the subject of your trip.....kerry....

#70948 - 07/20/03 12:48 PM Re: trip report for July 11
sweetjane Offline
(jane chants) pics pics pics pics!!!!!!

#70949 - 07/20/03 07:28 PM Re: trip report for July 11
BrianH Offline
Gina, it was nice to meet you and your husband on the Mexico Rocks trip!! I got back last Wednesday, and of course the Bacalar Chico trip I wanted to do all week finally was a go on that day frown

#70950 - 07/23/03 12:13 AM Re: trip report for July 11
beachluvr Offline
Brian! it was great to meet you, too & wasn't Mexico Rocks beautiful? it just figures that your trip would finally be ready the day you had to leave...oh well, that just means you'll have to look forward to the next trip to get to do the things you missed this time...I know I am sure looking forward to returning cool

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (pamkillen, debbief, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,739 Topics
461,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.