Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#71537 - 08/03/03 11:28 AM Is Ambergris Caye safe?
I know that flying into Belize City is not the safest place to be...but what about Ambergris Caye? Is it a safe place to stay...

#71538 - 08/03/03 12:08 PM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
Diane Campbell Offline
AC is very safe - just don't get drunk and killyourself diving headfirst off a pier into shallow water. Very.
For that matter about 3,000 tourists at a time wander the streets of Belize city (daytime)without incident - nights in BC are dicey if you are uninformed, but BC is really interesting and a day there is kind of cool ----- a must-see is the Belize City Museum. Photographers will go nuts at the wonderful old colonial architecture - get a good cab-driver as a guide and poke around the city, it's rich and diverse.

#71539 - 08/03/03 12:26 PM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
Denny Shane Offline
AC is very safe. Having said that, common sense dictates you don't walk around anywhere with diamonds flashing, rolex watches, trying to impress people. AC is not the place to impress people... the regulars to the island simply know there is NO WHERE on the island THAT fancy.

I have seen women laying out on the beach with necklaces that may impress themselves but they are begging "please take me" As I previously said, there is simply nowhere in the island where you will need to get dressed up.

It's definitely a shorts and top kind of place. If you just must take any valuables... after realizing that you didn't need them, you might want to check with your resort desk and see if they have a house safe where you could deposit your things... make sure you get a receipt.

#71540 - 08/03/03 12:45 PM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
Nick Barton Offline
Actually in the 2-3 times I and the family have been to Belize City we have had absolutely no problem - like most large towns, there are areas and times to be avoided.

AC - the biggest problem we have had is adjusting to the jet lag but then it has the benefit of allowing you to see the sun rise at 5a.m.!

#71541 - 08/03/03 03:10 PM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
In my opinion Ambergris Caye is quite safe, especially considering that a resort island like this is a magnet for any bad guys from the mainland or elsewhere in the region looking for an easy way to raise some cash for crack or whatever.

Having said that, I'd recommend avoid walking in unlit beach or other dark areas at night.

Don't be lulled into thinking that-n'er do-wells are on vacation here, too -- they're not.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#71542 - 08/04/03 11:07 AM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
Thankyou all for answering my questions...I'm now confident along with my hours of research that Ambergris Caye is safe...Thanks! I can't wait to go...

#71543 - 08/04/03 11:11 PM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
Well, that's great to hear...but I'm at the point where I don't care...Belize is just to good to pass up...screw a cruise. laugh

Thanks for telling me this information...I appreciate it.

#71544 - 08/05/03 06:09 PM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
JohnLong Offline
AC is very safe place.Probably the safest in C.America cool

#71545 - 08/15/03 02:26 AM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
seashell Offline
Well, sure it's safe enough. As long as you don't get stupid.

There have been incidents where young tourist guys have been cold-cocked for their money or their stupidity or both.

Same as at home, there are places that you shouldn't walk around alone . . .or drunk . . . or both. There are people that you shouldn't hang out with, etc. Same as at home, Wes, same as at home.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#71546 - 08/15/03 08:58 AM Re: Is Ambergris Caye safe?
toad Offline
yes, but don't tell anyone....it adds to the mystery....

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,709 Topics
461,234 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.