Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71647 - 08/03/03 06:41 PM fishing
nikkibear Offline
hi all- my husband and i are avid fishing people...want to know who you rank as the best guides? looking to do more reef fishing than deep ocean--- i love hooking those tarpin!!!! we are also planning on doing lots of fishing off dock/shore... any advice on what to use for bait?
thanks again- nikkibear

#71648 - 08/03/03 07:49 PM Re: fishing
captjeff Offline
nikkibear ,I have got very close to a local guide name capt bicho ,sweet man great family ,knows the san pedro waters like the back of his hand .very good prices . I set up a web site for him fishingsanpedro.com check it out ,when are you going???????? he is very good guide and will give you a action packed day ..I fish once a month with him ,and always have some action ,again this time of the year weather is a factor??? I will be down fishing aug 7 till 11 then sept 2 to 10 .you can call me toll free if you want to chit chat fishing ,1 800 231 7447 ask for jeff .there are many folks on this bord who have other guides most are great as well ?? but I think bicho is the best on the island ,you are in for a treat .good fishing to ....you enjoy ...

#71649 - 08/03/03 08:17 PM Re: fishing
Sandy C Offline
Ramon or Severo Guerrero, phone 226-2325, 226-2324; E-mail: servero@btl.net; great reef fishermen and fun to spend a day with; they cook a great beach picnic with your catch and will send fillets back with you for a restaurant to cook for future meals.

#71650 - 08/04/03 06:27 PM Re: fishing
mobunny Offline
Wierd, this link works!! Thanks, mo bunny laugh laugh

#71651 - 08/05/03 12:46 PM Re: fishing
nikkibear Offline
cpt jeff-
will be there aug 17-27. coming up soon. looks like will just miss ya!

#71652 - 08/05/03 01:42 PM Re: fishing
captjeff Offline
nikkibear just miss you ..but will give you a fishing report ,call me and we will chit chat about the island and fishing ,,enjoy be here till wed ,then back the 12 of aug from the trip ...

#71653 - 08/05/03 04:34 PM Re: fishing
captjeff Offline
nikkibear I can understand lotus flames coments while I do not agree the reefs are fished out ,if your fishing day is only on the local reefs there could be on some days ,a not so hot fishing day ,it depends on the wind ,tide ,bait where you go .like if your guidetakes you to the reefs all the gringos go to because it is calm and pretty ,and makes you warm and fuzzy .I think you get the point when I go with capt.bicho we go north if the weather is good ,as far as 1hr or to rocky point ,the fishing is great if it is right we can catch a ton of fish we keep only what people will eat release the rest ,,,and have a action packed day most guides do not take people there too much $$$$$on gas but well worth the trip so they go to same reefs eveyone fishes ....because of time or they do not the knowledge to find the fish ,most do a great job but ther are some just do not... have what it takes to locate the fish ..I have been going there each moth for a year now and all I do is fish.so I have some opinions on subject and I fish all over the world ,I now call belize my fishing home .it works for me ,......

#71654 - 08/05/03 05:37 PM Re: fishing
Mel S Offline
In the '80s most of the San Pedrano fisherman were involved with the local Fisherman Coop. The catch was impressive with hundreds of pounds of fin-fish per boat per day. When the tourism started, most of the fisherman started fishing for tourists instead working for the coop. The sport-fishing situation was a win-win. The local fisherman made some money, the tourist have a great time, and the reef fish are not being caught as much as the commericial fishing days. The 60 fish for a sport-fisherman is abusive in my own thinkings or philosephy. A limit on reef fish would be fine. The way of having protected waters in Belize is a wonderful idea. Last month when we were fishing my guides would tell me to reel it Companero, this is protected waters bwai ! The fishing was good in this last trip, even though the winds were up, and the tides were funky. Overall, I believe Belize still has some exciting fishing. Best-Wishes, MS

#71655 - 08/05/03 08:47 PM Re: fishing
captjeff Offline
mel s my fishing brother I agree you are right on the point .....conservation is very much needed .but up to the local guys who make a living ,to inforce it ...and I do not see this happening ????? but I will not get into any right or wrong debate as Iam just a gringo who loves the people and the island ,but only goes down once a month ....

#71656 - 08/05/03 11:44 PM Re: fishing
nikkibear Offline
hey thanks captjeff- info greatly appreciated!! yeah i'll get ahold of you before we leave- you should be home by then and i'll get your report. what are you using for bait down there? i've heard for fishing off the docks to try caviar? i'm wandering how you would get that on a hook? plan on doing at least 3 1/2 day fishing trips..but hubby also likes fishing off dock for small stuff-- works well for me cuz he gets up at like 5 am...me i'm not an early riser!! don't care what we catch as long as it's something---we always throw back..i am deathly allergic to fish and shellfish. thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Judyann H., 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,269 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.