Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71725 - 08/06/03 03:09 AM thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
mikell Offline
just joined this message board and i'm starting to pick up some good information by reading posts.

we are a 50 something couple looking for inexpensive accomodations...no more than $150/night...for one week to 10 days.

snorkeling is our focus...

looking for a quiet place with some privacy...balcony, beach setting, or some kind of accomodation that isn't too much like a hotel room....don't need kitchen...just coffee maker!

easy walks to restaurants and shopping...good places to sunbath, or lie in hammock in the shade...

swimming pool would be nice...

so far, we've looked at places like

tropica beach resort
xanadu
blue tang inn
mata rocks
caribbean villas
sunbreeze
corona del mar
ramons

and some others...

anyone have any advice about these or something else?

i'm sure i'll have lots of other questions for the experienced members of this board...but thought i'd start with this...hope to find the right place and go from there...

smile mikell

#71726 - 08/06/03 04:33 AM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
seashell Offline
Sunbreeze, though the rooms are bit like a hotel room, go figure. Take Tropica off your list. The cruise pod people spend too much time there.

I feel compelled to ask, are you looking for a place that has snorkelling right off the beach? If you are, then San Pedro, probably isn't exactly what you have in mind.

#71727 - 08/06/03 01:47 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
Richard Chambers Offline
Consider Playador they have a nice beach area, pool and an active bar right on the beach.
They have 4plex style condos with porches.I've stayed there 2x and would prefer a downstairs unit. Mata Rocks looks good too.Never stayed there but visited. :p

#71728 - 08/06/03 02:04 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
Johnboy Offline
Don't know how far out of town you want to be but if 1 to 1 1/2 miles is ok I highly recommend MataRocks... Small, Great beach bar,pool, Fantastic staff,hammocks, lounge(beach)
chairs, little store across the street,$5 cab ride to town,Fridge in room..Need I say more?????
Go with an open mind & you will have a fantastic time...We have stayed at MataRocks 3 times & each time it got better....
smile wink

#71729 - 08/06/03 02:09 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I'd recommend you also look at Banana Beach, which has some beautiful suites at a very fair price, and also look at Belizean Shores, which is a bit more away from things on North Ambergris and has some good deals.

Among the ones you're considering I'd say SunBreeze and Mata Rocks might be closest to what you're after. You might also look at Coconuts, which now has a pool. Caribbean Villas is very nice but doesn't have a pool; ditto Corona del Mar, which is a top value. There's still construction going on at Xanadu. I'm told SunBreeze is renovating its rooms, and the location is hard to beat. Ramon's is popular, but for one of the nicer units may be a little more than what you want to pay.

--Lan Sluder

#71730 - 08/06/03 02:11 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
mikell Offline
seashell...

i took another look at sunbreeze and have a few questions...

is there much difference between the deluxe and standard rooms? besides a jacuzzi? and are there any "favorite" rooms to ask for...in terms of better view or more privacy, etc.?

it mentions being near the airport...is noise a problem?

how is the beach here? can you swim there?

what's the restaurant like? food and prices? within easy walking to other restaurants?

richard:

it's not important that we can snorkel from the beach. we went to negril in Jamaica last year and i snorkeled for the first time and loved it...my husband has done a lot of snorkeling in the past and believes that the Belize reefs are a must see...so we are OK with taking a boat/tour of the reefs frequently while there. Any suggestions on that score? is it expensive? close? any opportunity to snorkel without paying someone to take you someplace?

thanks to both of you for the help...

#71731 - 08/06/03 02:24 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
mikell Offline
john boy...

looking at mata rocks again too...
very appealing!

is it an easy bike ride to town? they supply bikes. how much to rent a golf cart?
we are fairly fit 50 year olds...don't mind walking either.

is the junior suite much better than a standard room? do any of the rooms face the water? better upper floor or lower?

we spent time in negril, Jamaica last year...we are very low key people...don't need a lot of amenities...just want to kick back and relax and do some snorkeling for a week...

thanks...

#71732 - 08/06/03 02:51 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
Johnboy Offline
Mikell--Most of the rooms face the water at MataRocks Bike ride really nice.....suites are nicer( couch,tv,kitchen),golf carts about$50 a day...E-mail Erica at matarocks@aotws.com and she can tellyou all you want to know about prices & questions....Enjoy

#71733 - 08/06/03 03:42 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
mayatravel Offline
Sun Breeze info: Renovations on rooms 201 and 101 are completed. No more noise here from airport than at any of the other hotels along the airstrip and south of it. Dlx rooms have jacuzzi spray jets in the tub, not a lone jacuzzi. And are larger, have king beds and a fridge. Restaurant is one of the better ones on the island. SB is oceanfront and has a sea wall. Walk a few hunderd yards down to Ramon's for walk in swimming-that's what I do. No substantial reef off the beach here or anywhere on the island for that matter. But really good value for the money, pool as well as attentive staff and mgmt.

#71734 - 08/06/03 09:06 PM Re: thinking about AC 1st time trip...need advice
mikell Offline
thanks to all...

looks like we would like any of these the best:

sunbreeze
mata rocks
banana beach

questions...

does banana beach have a restaurant? they mention breakfast buffet included...but not sure if they serve other meals?

we would like a private balcony with an ocean view if possible...is banana beach the only one of these three that offers that? no sure if sunbreeze has balcony rooms...or mata rocks?

many more questions to follow, i'm sure. thanks again...message boards like this are invaluable and the time you take to reply is very much appreciated! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.