Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72091 08/12/03 11:05 AM
J
jgreen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My wife and I are leaving this Sat (Aug 16th 03) for a week for our first trip to AC staying at Ramones. We are scheduled for 6 days of diving, but would also like to do some relaxing snorkeling. We know that we have to take boats out to the reef for the best snorkeling, but can anyone recommend spots that are good where we can just walk in off shore? Also THE BIG DEBATE: is the Blue Hole really worth the 2.5 hour ride each way? We heard it was brown cylindrical formations that were not colorful. Also info on favorite restaurants, or fun things to do. Is the cave tubing a chilling experience in the cold water and worth it? How bad are the bugs and would they be really bad in the rain forest? Thanks for any info. We are really looking forward to it.

#72092 08/12/03 12:18 PM
K
K
As for the Blue Hole, in my opinion it would not be worth an out and back in one day kind of trip. I know some will disagree. It's a fun dive, but one I considered a novelty, and would not do again unless I was on a live aboard, or resort nearby. I dove the BH while on a 3 day Offshore Express trip, if something like that is available, that would be the way to go.

As for snorkeling from shore, areas around docks are probably your best bet, but you can't venture too far out due to boat traffic.

You're coming in the same day I am. I'll be at BC's on Sunday for some BubbaQ. BCs is just up the beach from Ramones, and I highly recommend the Q.

#72093 08/12/03 01:35 PM
My friends and I consider the Blue Hole Day trip the best diving day in Belize,in our view,it is fabulous,and after the third dive we break out the beer and rum-come to think of it I may go tomorrow.

#72094 08/12/03 01:40 PM
Cave tubing was our favorite activity of the whole trip (we snorkeled, fished, and relaxed the rest of the time). The water is cold, but you get used to it in no time. I only saw one large spider in the changing room after tubing. Other than that, no scary bug sightings or bug problems (while wearing repellant). We did the trip with Searious and loved the whole thing--from breakfast in the boat to the incredible Belize Zoo and the cave tubing.

#72095 08/12/03 02:08 PM
The trip to the Blue Hole shouldn't take 2.5 hours each way. 2 hours is more like it. Take Amigo's Pro48. Comfortable ride, good clean head.
I too was originally discouraged from going to the Blue Hole and so on my first trip down, I didn't go. On my second trip down, I went anyway and am ever so glad I did. I've been back in the Hole at least 5 times and come out of the water every time saying "Again, again, I want to do it again". If you see the sharks, you'll never wonder whether you should have done it or not.
True, it is a dark hole, no pretty coral, hardly any fish. But once at depth, you will be swimming amongst the stalactites of the pre-iceage cave. You will be diving where Jacque Cousteau has gone before you. I have found small chambers in the walls and they have little fish in them, so take your flashlight. I've had a shark circle around and come up to swim ever so slowly immediately below me. There are as many people that love to dive the Blue Hole as there are that say, been there done that. Some people get it and some people don't. Myself, I've rarely met those that didn't think it was pretty great.

The two followup dives are outstanding, the lunch is served up on an idyllic island and you head home being served Belikens and panty-rippers. All in all, one helluva way to spend the day.

Maybe if it is rainy or particularly cloudy, it's not that fabulous, but I've only ever encountered those conditions on one trip out there. I don't recommend this dive to those that are not experienced divers. If you decide to go, get a bunch of local diving under your belt first and then head out.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#72096 08/12/03 03:01 PM
I just got certified during my trip to AC, so I decided against the Blue Hole (I hear the dive is to 130 ft). I'd like to do it during my next visit to AC. Anyone have opinions on the turneffe dive trip?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.