Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#72167 - 08/13/03 07:10 PM Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
pfarrell Offline
This was my second trip to San Pedro and this time I left my spouse at home and brought along my brother.

Flew in via Charlotte with US Air then Tropic to San Pedro. Couldn't have been easier. Only downside was we cleared customs so fast that we didn't have enough time to stop at Jet's for a beer!

Set up shop at Banana Beach (had a case of beer delivered) and off to the beach. Spent the remainder of our first day swimming and sleeping. Banana Beach has a nice place to swim. Also rented some masks & snokels to poke around the docks. Saw some little fish, a HUGE blowfish and a few crabs.

After a few cold beers from the frige, we headed into town. Watched a great vollyball game at Cannibals, had a few more beers at Fidos, a quick burrito at one of the street vendors and then retired for the night. All that travel finally caught up to us.

The next day dawned sunny and nice. We biked into town so my brother could get a feel for things by daylight. Then we headed to the supermarket to stock the fridge with goodies for the rest of our stay. PBJ, bread, Nachos, cookies, etc.

That afternoon, we snorkeled Shark Ray alley and Hol Chan with some crazy folks from Southern California. Shark Ray alley was very cool with some pretty coral, lots of rays and a few big nurse sharks. There was also a really big grouper there when we got there but he took off before I could get a picture.

We then headed to Hol Chan and were blown away by all the things we saw. Tarpon, grouper, eels, and assorted other fish in plentiful supply. Our guide was really good at swimming down, in and around the various ledges to make sure we saw any big fish hiding away. I could go on and on but suffice to say it was great.

Back to the beach, cold beers, lime tostitos and the amazing view. Perfect way to prep for Costa Maya's international night.

We hit town around 9 PM and things were hopping at fidos with Gen X getting rolling. Couple of beers and we were off to get some burritos at the street vendors and then to Costa Maya.

International Night at Costa Maya was a highlight. For those who haven't been, immagine a small town carnival in the US, add in a full moon, and the wonderful people of San Pedro and you have Costa Maya. We played all the carnival games, gambled away our contribution to the local economy at the dice tables and downed many a beer. Ran into Tim from El Pescador and his wife. (if she told us her name we couldn't remember the next day!) After hearing our lament that we had missed our chance for a photo with Miss El Salvador (whoa), Tim made sure we met Miss San Pedro the delightful and very patient Janine. We also learned that Tim once dated a Miss Budwiser (go Tim). After much anticipation the Cuban Singer/Actress Niurka mader her apperance. Unfortunatly, she was a bit overated. We stubled home.

Sunday was our day of rest and we needed it. Rented a golf cart and headed to the north side. Plodded aways up to Journey's End. Hard to belive that there's so much land left to be developed to the North. Only a matter of time.
More of the same, beach, nap, beers & nochos followed for Sunday. Hit Calente for dinner. Was dissapointed as I had had a great meal there last year. Guess the chef was having an off night. Back to Costa Maya for the final night. Sadly Miss El Salvador (whoa) was nowhere to be seen (or perhaps she heard we were looking for her).

The next day we went out bonefishing with Servo. The weather wasn't the greatest as a BIG thunderstorm was passing north as we left the dock at Banana Beach. Sun was in and out all morning which makes bonefishing very tough. We found our share and landed a few. Then we were treated to a view that no one on the water ever wants to see. Pitch black sky to the east and closing fast. The ride from the flats to Banana Beach was very wet but managed to not get struck by lightning. Thank god Servo is a steady hand at the wheel. We got back safe.

Spend the afternoon watching a big sailboat motor onto the reef. Very interesting. Dinner that night at El Divino at Banana Beach. Tasty.

Last day dawned cloudy and windy. Made parting a little easier.

All in all, a great trip. Already scheming on how to pull it off again next year. Costa Maya festival is simply not to be missed and I'm determined to get a picture with Miss El Salvador!

Pictures to follow soon.

#72168 - 08/13/03 07:38 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
seashell Offline
Thanks for sharing, pf. Can't wait to see the pics.

#72169 - 08/13/03 07:55 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
captjeff Offline
pfrall nice post capt jeff was down the 7 till the 11 see my fishing report .sounds like guys had fun. I did not go to the festival . not my thing but heard was nice .. how did you guys not go to the bbq,at bc best in town ,fun place next time try it ?????? enjoy

#72170 - 08/13/03 07:55 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
kerry Offline
great report....i'm 1 month and 11 days away....can't wait to see your pix....

#72171 - 08/13/03 08:04 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
pfarrell Offline
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV...mp;sort_order=0

Photos

Jeff, we really did mean to get to the BBQ but sort of lost track of time on Sunday. Next time!

#72172 - 08/13/03 08:13 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
kerry Offline
nice pix!!!

#72173 - 08/13/03 10:04 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
sherry Offline
Great review and Pics!!! We are flying out of Charlotte also (live at Lake Norman which is only 20 min north) for our first visit to AC on the 24th....glad to know it's an easy trip! US Air must be flying out of Charlotte every day now, and they are offering some great deals so AC
We are also staying at Banana Beach and have only read great reviews about it. Thanks again for the wonderful trip report!!!!!
Sherry in NC wink

#72174 - 08/13/03 11:37 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
mikell Offline
nice job on the trip report...really get a feel for the place...

and the photos too! love to see those places...

since we're contemplating banana beach and AC for the first time next february...it's great to read your experiences ...

thanks for sharing that...

#72175 - 08/15/03 10:22 PM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
dbdoberman Offline
great report, great pixs - thanks so much!

#72176 - 08/16/03 01:06 AM Re: Trip Report (Now with Photos!)
bama Offline
The pictures were great. Thanks. We will be down on the 23rd. Looks like just what we need.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.