Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72461 08/22/03 09:24 AM
Pedro1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Today Charlie and I were walking to the beach through Ramons which is what we do everyday.I turn round and Charlie has stopped by a pretty red plastic bowl which is full of dog food,and she starts having breakfast-I grab her and we continue our walk to Coconet-we then see more of these bowls and finally meet a woman who is carrying a 10lb bag of dog food and bowls.
She says to me can I give your poor dog some food (Charlie is neither poor nor considers herself a dog)for those of you who know me you will be surprised that I refrained from telling the woman to f*** off. I told her that it is not unusual for the local govt to poison dogs here, and she definitely is not helping the system by feeding strays - she got uptight and left the scene muttering something about ingrates.
For those of you out there who are animal lovers -please do not feed my dog.
If you want to adopt an animal while you are here-do so,and hopefully you will get the lucky beast a green card and take it back home.
OR give SAGA a donation which goes to keeping animals healthy,finding homes etc.

#72462 08/22/03 11:29 AM
O
O
Wow, she actually called Charlie a dog. Wish I would have been there for as many times as I have been yelled at. Yes, I am very surprised you did not tell her.

Happy Belated Birthday to the pretty girl!!!!

Jackie

#72463 08/22/03 12:09 PM
S
S
I totally agree with Peter, in fact Saga sent a letter to all hotels to post asking that guests please not feed the animals, better that they return to their homes to be fed (if they have one) than set up a new territory away from home.

Saga is making serious efforts to remove stray dogs from the streets and to provide them with homes. They are working hard to find land for a shelter now that they have raised money for the facilities. They are also taking names of persons who can provide temporary foster homes for animals that are picked up while they are waiting for the vet or new homes.

Saga has also added a Pet Of The Week feature to the website in an attempt to provide long term adoptions to the animals in their care (www.ambergriscaye.com/sagasociety).

#72464 08/22/03 01:46 PM
C
C
Sounds like a business opportunity to me. Selling dog food to tourists. You could use those gumball type dispensers like they have at petting zoos and make a killing. Turn the stray dogs into an attraction instead of a detraction. eek

#72465 08/24/03 01:06 PM
While on the topic about feeding animals on AC, I believe the practice of feeding the Caimans, and the Morelett Crocs is near suicide. When animals associate free-food from Homo Sapiens there are some surprises. Let's put up a few signs for the crocs, " Please don't eat the Tourists, we need their Money !" ms.

Mel Sinderman

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.