Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72801 08/30/03 09:15 PM
jkmobil Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all! I will be in Ambergris Caye the last week in November and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for diving trips. I recently got certified and do not have any experience besides the open water certification dives. Also, is all equipment available to rent or is it advisable to bring some items along?

Thanks

JTK
#72802 08/31/03 06:47 AM
M
M
I was in the same boat 1 1/2 years ago when I went to AC. The replies here directed me to Amigos Del Mar {just by the number of them}. They could not have been any nicer. They will group you with others of your experience level and watch over you very carefully. You will have a wonderful time with them. I'm sure there are other shops that will do the same. This was just my experience with them. Also, they have rental equipment. I just happen to prefer my own. Good luck and safe diving!

#72803 09/01/03 01:15 PM
HI J K laugh
Congrats on getting certified! You are in for the most wonderful experiences of your life. I didn't get certified until I was in my 50's but it has changed my life.
Everyone of us has our personal preferences and one of the things I like about San Pedro Town is that most of us do not bad mouth any operation; we simply state who we dive with and why.
My first trip to Belize was in 1998. After 5 days of diving we were evacuated in anticipation of Mitch. frown
We had stayed at Paradise Villas, on the beachfront and could step out onto our porch and wave to Billy at Hustlers. It's a long story about how he took care of us and perhaps you will join me for coffee some morning at Lily's and get the full story. wink
Right now Billy has Everett working for him. I have never, in all my 500+ dives, had such good dive briefings. The reason I like diving with them is that there are seldom more than 6 people on a boat. One time they have took me out when I was the only one. I said, "Billy, you can't afford to do that." He said, "Harriette, we can't afford not to. We need to take care of our good customers."
I am an underwater photographer and have moved into digital video. It is important to me to not have a lot of people stirring up sediment or messing with the animals.
When I get back I am going to video Everett giving a dive briefing.
About equipment: I suggest you bring what you have of your own. It is always more comfortable. You can rent what you don't have. You will not need a wet suit. You will need a skin. If you are skinny and tend to get cold they have skins with some thermal protection, like the Henderson Polartex. Remember the water runs between 80� and 85�.
I look forward to meeting you.
Harriette
cool

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#72804 09/02/03 11:40 PM
I was a new diver in June when we went to AC. I am taking my kids there in Oct because I want their first dives to be as fun and safe as mine was. We dived with Ched in the little blue dive shop in front of Paradise Villas. Tell him Mary and Barry from Austin sent you and he will make you a deal maybe. It was the best for me and now I can dive anywhere because of the time and attention he took with me on the boat and in the water, even going down with me and holding my hand when I needed it.
Hope this helps.

#72805 09/02/03 11:46 PM
Sorry forgot to mention that all equipment is availalbe to rent. But I always like to take my own mask and wet suit so it fits juuusssstttt right.

#72806 09/05/03 01:06 PM
I got certified in San Pedro/AC ~2 weeks ago. The very next day I was done with the course I started my first dive as a certified open water diver!! Anyway, I love Cypress Tunnel & Cypress Garden and they are both local dives. I also went to Turneffe Atoll on a day trip (3 dives) and they're great too. I also ended up getting a lot of local dives. I highly recommend Ruben Navidad if you are looking for dive instructor/master. He is very patient, friendly and informative. If you have a small group (esp with kids) he could even customize a tour for you. His contact is [email protected]

#72807 09/10/03 06:35 PM
For kid glove handling, for a new diver, ask for Rudy at Bottom Time Divers, in front of the Holiday Hotel. I was afraid of the new & strange open ocean in 1994, when I first went to AC. He held my hand until I was comfortable and never left my side. He only takes small groups and gives very close attention to the divers. He also sees & points out "everything" on the reef. You won't regret any dive trip with Rudy Duran.

#72808 09/10/03 07:41 PM
The same goes for Billy or Everett at Hustler's.
cool

Harriette
#72809 09/10/03 09:02 PM
Harriett, we have to agree with you, we've been diving with Billy at Hustler on each of our three trips to SP. Wouldn't do it any other way. He gave us our Advanced OW training, and we feel very comfortable with them. We will return To AC for Thanksgiving and will certainly dive with them again. smile smile

#72810 09/11/03 12:30 AM
Patrick
Look me up and I will video you diving. I need to take some footage of Everett giving a dive briefing.
Harriette cool

Harriette
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.